Notices
ECU Flash

Do “reputable” tuners use lean spool disable

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do “reputable” tuners use lean spool disable

Does anyone know if the so called reputable tuners tune EVO with lean spool disable? Most big shop tune with EcuTek as oppose to ECUFlash so I am not sure if the option to disable lean spool is available in the EcuTek software.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I think you are going to have to define "reputable".

Anyone that like having control over the fueling from start to finish with the hindrance of an ECU variable does.

The only tuner that I have yet seen even modify the lean spool value is Jestr and he extends its control out to its limit at 8K rpm.

I do not use lean spool because it has a noticeable bump in IPW at 7K when it stops (as set at the factory) and likes to extend the lean spool well into boost in most cases. It doesnt allow for as smooth an AFR curve when left on in my opinion either.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I should not say reputable tuners. But the ones that have you ship the ECU to them for reflash. And ussually uses EcuTek. I am not sure if it is OK to mention names or shops. But tuners like works, vishnu, DynoFlash that use EcuTek for flashing.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 07:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I turn it off for all Evo 9's as some of them I just can't get "rich" enough for 91 octane at peak boost through the midrange. It also makes a huge difference in fuel tuning for all the other gears, espically when you row through them instead of just single pulls. Makes the AFR much much much more consistant on the street.

The 03-05's I don't see the same issues of too lean at peak boost through the midrange but I turn it off for them as well for the per gear fuel tuning.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 1, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

How much do you have to lean the stock values from 2500 up to get an equivalent AFR to the OEM one with it enable. Will adding 1 unit to the original table gives the same AFR (or close) as the one OEM value with Lean Spool enable? I understand people do not tune for all the cells on the map but I guess the ones that does not change should stay about the same as the original values. At least the ones with load less than 100.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 02:46 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disable it on every car I tune.

You'll have to decide for yourself if I'm "reputable."
Old Jun 2, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ok lets forget about the "reputable" part. Can you disable it with EcuTek or does it need to be a modified ECUFlash to do it. I am planing to have my car tuned by a local tuner and most of them if not all use EcuTek. So I do not want to have a tune and then have to retune if there is an issue by not having lean spool disable.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm interesting... would lean spool have anything to do w/ my odd AFR spike (lean) at around 5400rpm to 6500rpm? basically im at around 11.8 steady... and then it jumps right up to 12.5 (there is a thread about it) anyways, we tried to richen it up but nothing changes... So im having to use an AFCII to do it. So far its working... but its not the cleanest looking curve. Still has that bump... and you can see the IPW and IDC dip on Evoscan...
Old Jun 2, 2008, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by racer135
Ok lets forget about the "reputable" part. Can you disable it with EcuTek or does it need to be a modified ECUFlash to do it. I am planing to have my car tuned by a local tuner and most of them if not all use EcuTek. So I do not want to have a tune and then have to retune if there is an issue by not having lean spool disable.
I haven't used EcuTek on the 8/9 in ages so I actually do not know.

I do know the Cobb ProTuner has the option, and that is because I requested it during the testing phase. It originally did not.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thats interesting. I guess I will have to ask the tuner directly to find out. Since there are so many ROM IDs and all of them have different addresses I am kind of concern with the EcuTek flash and the current changes that I have made so far to my ROM. The other thing is that I have direct PSI boost control so I am not sure if an EcuTek flash will mess anything with that.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 06:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by racer135
The other thing is that I have direct PSI boost control so I am not sure if an EcuTek flash will mess anything with that.
I am pretty certain that EcuTek does not support Direct PSI-target boost. Pretty much all the "MODS" you see on this board are for ecuflash only.

At this current point in time, EcuFlash is leaps and bounds ahead of any other flash tuning solution for the 8/9 in that regard.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TakaseEVOIXSE
hmmm interesting... would lean spool have anything to do w/ my odd AFR spike (lean) at around 5400rpm to 6500rpm? basically im at around 11.8 steady... and then it jumps right up to 12.5 (there is a thread about it) anyways, we tried to richen it up but nothing changes... So im having to use an AFCII to do it. So far its working... but its not the cleanest looking curve. Still has that bump... and you can see the IPW and IDC dip on Evoscan...
that spike in AFR is most likely from your mivec map...
Old Jun 2, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I am pretty certain that EcuTek does not support Direct PSI-target boost. Pretty much all the "MODS" you see on this board are for ecuflash only.

At this current point in time, EcuFlash is leaps and bounds ahead of any other flash tuning solution for the 8/9 in that regard.
I agree with you and I am 99.99% sure EcuTek does not support Direct PSI ECU Boost. But the real question is will the EcuTek flash mess with the current "MODS" on the ROM? As long as the tuner does not change the address of the variable for boost control, the JDM MAP changes, the new defined tables and the conversion formulas I guess it should not. Unless he uses a flash from another car (and change the Inmobilizer code) as the base tune for my car and go from there. But I am not even sure if that is a posibility. If it is not compatible at this point my only option will be to go with an e-mail Flash
Old Jun 2, 2008, 06:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I leave lean spool enabled because I correct me im wrong please but I thought it worked with your temp adjust table to richen up the fuel during hotter weather.
If you tune to the edge with lean spool enabled your running risk of detonation at higher outside temps.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by amak87
that spike in AFR is most likely from your mivec map...
.7 AFR difference because of a mivec map cell change? Hardly...

If you have data then please present it.

Quick Reply: Do “reputable” tuners use lean spool disable