Notices
ECU Flash

E-85 Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E-85 Questions

Since I have a set of PTE 880cc injectors laying around, I figure I might as well give E85 a try since I have a station fairly close to my house. I do have a few questions regarding the tune, but it seems like it will not be as bad as I thought.

1. Will 880cc PTE injectors be enough for my setup, and what power level should I expect to get out of them, also will I be limited by the turbo or fuel running E85 with theese injectors?
Power mods: 05 evo 8 MR, TBE, FMIC, GSC S1's, EBC, intake. The car runs high 11's on pump gas and hits a maximum load of around 310 or so banging the gears max 25psi.

2.What should I scale my injectors to?
From what I have read, going with 880's will need little correction for an e85 tune, is this true?

3. What power level will theese 880's support before they are maxed out on E85?
Should I get larger??

4. Anything I should look out for while tuning with E85 other then the obvious AFR reading change by my LC1??

5. I thought I remembered the station also having E-90 or some other percentage, is a higher or lower percentage benificial or should I not bother with it??

Thats all I can think of for now but I'm sure I will have more later. I am planning on using the E85 for when I make some longer trips or going to the track, then just reflash back to my pump gas tune when it's not conveinent for me..Any tips or suggestions greatly appriciated.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 09:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
1 - 880's are probably right on the border of ok for your mods.

2 - Set the scaling and latency using pump gas, and then when the switch is made to E85, all that should need to be done is reduce the scaling by about 30% (or probably a bit higher).

3 - For sure I think you can get 375 whp, maybe 400 whp. Couldn't hurt to get some 1000 cc/min injectors.

4 - Don't know yet.

5 - E90 - E100 have even more power potential than E85, but I'd go with whatever is most widely available.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks mrfred and thanks again for the JDM map sensor

Well considering the fact that my car made 397whp on my race gas tune, mabye I should sell them and get some 1000 cc/min jobbers, especially if I want to do any turbo upgrades in the future. I'm am a bit worried about gas mileage on the 1000cc injectors on stock turbo with pump gas though. Can injectors tht flow that much be tuned to be as effecient as the stockers or close to it for daily driving?
Originally Posted by mrfred

2 - Set the scaling and latency using pump gas, and then when the switch is made to E85, all that should need to be done is reduce the scaling by about 30% (or probably a bit higher).

3 - For sure I think you can get 375 whp, maybe 400 whp. Couldn't hurt to get some 1000 cc/min injectors.

4 - Don't know yet.

5 - E90 - E100 have even more power potential than E85, but I'd go with whatever is most widely available.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred

I think you misunderstood him Mrfred. I think he was implying he hasn't installed the 880s yet. In which case, his scaling after switching to 880's will be very close, but his latencies will be off.

So Petey, if I'm reading this correctly, you need to first install your 880s on pump gas. Get your fuel trims dialed in by adjusting your scaling and latencies, and then switch to e85 and reduce your scaling by 30% (which should be close to what the scaling was for stock injectors).

FWIW I'm running 880's on e85 with similar mods (Evo VIII, TME turbo, cams, full catless exhaust, etc) and they are plenty of injector. I'm surprised to see you hitting such high loads on pump gas, but I'm assuming a lot of that has to do with your intake, as I'm still on the stock airbox and only see about 310 load on e85.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help, I think I almost have my cold and warm start issues fixed.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I have not installed them yet, I was curious if the the fuel trims would still be fine AFTER I set them on pump gas and scale the injectors for the e-85, if not I guess I just work on the scaling only as long as all was well with the pump gas.
The high loads were only hit in 1st gear, then 280ish through the rest probably due to the crappy greddy profec b spec 2 (I hate it)..I have since switched to a 3.5 inch intake to the stock airbox with K&n but its after the MAS so mabye it will not effect it like the open filter, still have yet to log it..I just want to run 25 psi or so but with the added kick of the advanced timing..I have found raising boost past 23psi at the track makes little difference especially in the MR since rpm's barely drop under 6000 and we all know how the stock turbo works up there

BTW^ I didn't know you were the "dude" or dooder, or his doodness, or el dooderino if you're not into that whole brevity thing..

I'm sure I will require some assistance getting it set up. I may actually tune the 880s for pump gas tommorow..Thanks for the help..

Originally Posted by dude
I think you misunderstood him Mrfred. I think he was implying he hasn't installed the 880s yet. In which case, his scaling after switching to 880's will be very close, but his latencies will be off.

So Petey, if I'm reading this correctly, you need to first install your 880s on pump gas. Get your fuel trims dialed in by adjusting your scaling and latencies, and then switch to e85 and reduce your scaling by 30% (which should be close to what the scaling was for stock injectors).

FWIW I'm running 880's on e85 with similar mods (Evo VIII, TME turbo, cams, full catless exhaust, etc) and they are plenty of injector. I'm surprised to see you hitting such high loads on pump gas, but I'm assuming a lot of that has to do with your intake, as I'm still on the stock airbox and only see about 310 load on e85.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help, I think I almost have my cold and warm start issues fixed.

Last edited by PeteyTurbo; Jun 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heck, even better pm me your email address and I can send you my maps to help get you started. I figure my latencies and scaling should be close enough to get you started.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 08:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
Thanks mrfred and thanks again for the JDM map sensor

Well considering the fact that my car made 397whp on my race gas tune, mabye I should sell them and get some 1000 cc/min jobbers, especially if I want to do any turbo upgrades in the future. I'm am a bit worried about gas mileage on the 1000cc injectors on stock turbo with pump gas though. Can injectors tht flow that much be tuned to be as effecient as the stockers or close to it for daily driving?
Don't know about mileage, but my FIC 1050s provide excellent driveability which I would assume to mean no loss of mileage. Check out my post:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh....php?p=5751110