Notices
ECU Flash

Solution for ECUFlash 1.35 freezing with 100% cpu when reading/writing rom.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Solution for ECUFlash 1.35 freezing with 100% cpu when reading/writing rom.

Hey guys, im at it again with another program. I was so tired of having to use the nice features of ECUFlash 1.35 (graph view), but not being able to use my cable with it. I have an older Openport 1.3M (with a 8 digit serial number). The new ones have a 48 digit serial number. As you can see in the pictures, it just filled the rest of my serial with 0's, i blurred out my actual serial. So I used OllyDbg and some other tools to track down the code responsible for maxing out my cpu and stalling the thread.
Here it is.
Code:
004091BF   3BD9             CMP EBX,ECX
 was changed to
004091BF   3BDB             CMP EBX,EBX
This makes the function always return true. I have NO idea what the function is or what it does. All i know is with 1.35 it works now. I have flashed and read my rom with out bricking my ecu, so i guess it works just fine. Here are some screen shots.

So to use it, OpenECU flash 1.35. Then run the app. It will modifiy the ram for ecuflash so change the code. I dont know if this is breaking any ELUA or user agreements, so use at your own risk. The you can quit the program. The memory will stay modified for the entire instance of ECUFlash. If you close ECUFlash and re-open it, you will have to patch it again. The program is not a TSR-style program, it will not use any system resources or memory (except for when it is running). For vista users, you may need to use run as administrator. I dont have my UAC enabled, so i cant check if it needs admin rights. Im sure it does because it modifies another programs memory. This program only works with ECUFlash 1.35!! Any other versions will fail the Memory check. I would've just modified the ECUFlash.exe, but it is a compressed exe and ive never been able to actually pull code from a compressed/encoded executable. One last thing, im still using the Tactrix drivers from 1.29a. The drivers included in 1.35 make Tactrix cable not work at all. So Stick with the 1.29a drivers and install the ECUFlash 1.35 and cancel the driver install part. Maybe if enough people use it, ill write a loader to load and patch ECUFlash in just one click, instead if it being a seperate app.

*** Update *** New link with the static linked version (removes the need for the visual c++ runtime dll's)
Download : https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...1&d=1218646159
Attached Thumbnails Solution for ECUFlash 1.35 freezing with 100% cpu when reading/writing rom.-ecuf2.jpg   Solution for ECUFlash 1.35 freezing with 100% cpu when reading/writing rom.-ecuf3.jpg  

Last edited by silver_evo; Aug 13, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might be what I've been looking for.
The drivers included in 1.35 make Tactrix cable not work at all. So Stick with the 1.29a drivers and install the ECUFlash 1.35 and cancel the driver install part
Is that a known issue? What about the drivers from 1.34? Neither have been working for me. (Made a thread about it today, actually)
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have this problem as I have a 1.3 cable, but thought I would post to say nice 1, as i've read a few people have had this issue, so fail play for solving the issue
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a mirror for 1.29a? I checked on the EcuFlash page for the old link to it but it 404s now.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

I can email you 1.29a drop me a PM or mail.

MB
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

search for it in the forums. there is an active link that i got from searching.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by silver_evo
Hey guys, im at it again with another program. ...
This is pretty interesting. I may have to give this a try with my old cable.

Seems you know a fair bit about assembly. Are you planning on putting any time into Evo ROM disassembly?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:52 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
nice hacked and fixed! I have this issue when setting up my friend laptop for ecuflash 1.35. He has the universal cable and ecuflash locked up (using up system resources) when trying to read from rom. My Mitsubishi specific cable is working fine.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you told the author about the issue? Perhaps he can fix it as a quick bug fix
Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumperalex
Have you told the author about the issue? Perhaps he can fix it as a quick bug fix
I sent an email to Colby earlier this afternoon. I'm sure he'll look into it.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

I know enough about assembly to get around a program. I have looked into the evo rom using sh2d. I didnt really dig around the source, it was like a million lines long. Id like to get into the rom program and look around. Maybe ill try again looking at it. Ive got like the next 2 weeks off work. All my programming work is shifting gears from evo to my physx/xna game engine im trying to piece together. I had last week off also, so that was evo week... But if i need to, ill look at some asm
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I tried this out yesterday and couldn't get it to work for me.

The hack always quit with the following error:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

That was with 1.35.1650, the same version you were using in the screenshots.

I'm not sure what is different between my laptop and yours, but I ended up having to go back to 1.29a to actually read/write from my ECU.

My Tactrix cable has an 8 digit serial like yours as well, if that matters.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry guys, i noob'd everyone, When i set the compilier options, i specified Dynamic linking ---> which means you NEED the visual c++ runtime dll's in your windows folder. I re-compilied with static linking, so it include the required functions in the EXE. Size went from 9.8k to 58k, so should have no more errors. Here is the new file.

Download : https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...1&d=1218646159
Attached Files
File Type: zip
ECUFlash Cable Hack.zip (31.1 KB, 95 views)
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

That would explain it. It would have worked on my desktop, but I don't have a 200 foot Tactrix cable!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PessimiStick
... but I don't have a 200 foot Tactrix cable!
Genetics is a b1tch

Quick Reply: Solution for ECUFlash 1.35 freezing with 100% cpu when reading/writing rom.