Notices
ECU Flash

problem lots of knock while cruising.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem lots of knock while cruising.

I was tuning the other day and out of the blue I just started getting a ton of knock, I can really feel it pulling timing when im cruising. When It starts to knock I can feel it hit like a wall and the load jumps up. any ideas? I just started tuning my pte 1000cc injectors and fp red, it was running fine for prolly a good 25 pulls and I was just doing a little fine tunign and it started to knock like crazy. this is on my evo 9 btw.

Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:53 PM

loose knock sensor? downpipe hitting? not sure if you checked those. you mentioned you installed injectors maybe go back and check the connections on those?

i know the above might not be the best answer, but just a couple ideas that may lead to others.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by nano
loose knock sensor? downpipe hitting? not sure if you checked those. you mentioned you installed injectors maybe go back and check the connections on those?

i know the above might not be the best answer, but just a couple ideas that may lead to others.

Thanks for the response, I checked the knock sensor and I actually took it out and wrapped it in Teflon tape. nothing is hitting or rattling, I have also checked the injectors. My fuel trims were fine before this happened and now my fuel trims while cruising dont move and at idle they are -25.... any more ideas?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:59 PM

I have the same problem, but mine is an early 2003 Evo 8. I logged today and saw the same thing. This is after i just replaced the knock sensor (which is a PITFA to get to and change).

I'd read this:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ble-found.html

I'm about to attempt some of the changes in there. I have problems around 3000-3500 rpm at low load and low tps.

One of my previous DSM's was haunted by phantom knock and it totally sucked. i suspect with ecuflash and all the smart help out there now, there is hope.

-Robert
Old Mar 29, 2009, 02:18 PM
Account Disabled

thanks ill give that a try sometime this week
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batdorf9
I have the same problem, but mine is an early 2003 Evo 8. I logged today and saw the same thing. This is after i just replaced the knock sensor (which is a PITFA to get to and change).

I'd read this:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ble-found.html

I'm about to attempt some of the changes in there. I have problems around 3000-3500 rpm at low load and low tps.

One of my previous DSM's was haunted by phantom knock and it totally sucked. i suspect with ecuflash and all the smart help out there now, there is hope.

-Robert
How'd you change it...any pics, were you standing by driver side, i dont even know location...sorry for ot.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its in the back side of the block under the intake maniflold about center
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63 T
How'd you change it...any pics, were you standing by driver side, i dont even know location...sorry for ot.
Lots of time and lots of F-bombs along the way. Ended up with a handful of bruises on my left arm along the way. No pictures. It pretty much sucked.

I was told at some point it's best to either remove the intake manifold or remove the transfer case. I didn't do either. I probably should have removed the DP, but I didn't. Just lots of reaching around from the top and the bottom and fighting with tight bolts. And lots of groping around for stuff because you can't see back there.

I removed the intake manifold bracket (big steel bracket with 4 big bolts). i didn't pull it out of the car, but just let it flop around back there while I changed the knock sensor. While I was messing with it, I broke one of the plastic nipples off the EGR solenoid. That sucked. Had to pull that out and epoxy it back together.

I took a big socket (I think 1 and 1/16", but not sure) and cut out a groove in it (for the wires to slip through) to loosen/tighten the knock sensor. It wasn't ideal. Ideally you'd get the real metric size one and a deep socket one at that and groove that up. But I wasn't using the english size one, it seemed pretty close, and i was feeling cheap. I used air tools and a abrasive fiberous "spinning wheel o' death" to grind the slot in it.

Because I didn't remove a bunch of stuff, it was impossible to get a torque wrench on the sensor (no room back there). So I'm not sure if I've under or over-tightened the thing. Yet another thing to question...

The new sensor didn't seem to help me at all. I think some logging and tweaking in ecuflash is in order. I'm going to do some logging tonight again. Not sure if I'll get to tweaking or not.

- Robert
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trader Vic CT9A
Thanks for the response, I checked the knock sensor and I actually took it out and wrapped it in Teflon tape. nothing is hitting or rattling, I have also checked the injectors. My fuel trims were fine before this happened and now my fuel trims while cruising dont move and at idle they are -25.... any more ideas?
Um... did you scale your new injectors or tune the latencies at all? If you just changed injectors and are running so rich that you have fuel building up in the cylinder that could cause some knock or misfires.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Wow...

I thought my 2 counts of random knock while cruising was bad... This kind of log would have me parking the car in the garage in fear of blowing it up just going to the grocery store...

-E
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

What latencies and scaling are you using? Also, what fuel?

-E
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:30 PM

From what you said with the -25 while logging now, this changed after you scaled/installed your new injectors? If so, this may be your problem. fosty pointed you in the right direction with that, get the scaling down and latencies once again if that was the case.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
unless your on a built motor you shouldn't be messing with the knock tables.

try and fix the problem b4 going down that path
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:42 AM
Account Disabled

Of course the injectors were scaled and my fuel trims were within 5% but then like I said I was doing some pulls and tuning after a few pulls it just started knocking while cruising.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One thing to note... have you been disconnecting the battery after every latency/value change, as in the EVO VIII the values wont reset like the IXs after a flash...

Quick Reply: problem lots of knock while cruising.