Notices
ECU Flash

How Do I Fully Uninstall Tactrix/Open Port FTDI Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 10:32 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do I Fully Uninstall Tactrix/Open Port FTDI Drivers?

I seem to have managed to dork up my FTDI drivers on my tuning laptop. Here's what happened...hopefully someone has gone through this before and can help me out -- and anyone else who finds this thread in the future!

Operating System: XP SP2

I had some freezing problems with ECUFlash 1.42 and my old 1.3 cable (not the new OP2 cable) and was wondering if it was an FTDI driver issue, so I checked the Add/Remove Programs list and saw that there were two FTDI driver entries there, only neither one would do anything if I clicked the "Remove" button to the right. So I poked around a little and found the FTClean utility from the FTDI website here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm and ran it. It took out one of the FTDI program entries but not the other. Now, though, I could remove the other via Add/Remove programs. All is going as planned!

Well, after both FTDI entries were removed, I rebooted and then reinstalled ECUFlash. When ECUFlash got to the Open Port driver section, it went to the 'Finished!' screen without popping up the Windows driver installation dialog -- you know, the one where you have to click that you want to use an unsigned driver.

So I've tried uninstalling ECUFlash, using the FTClean utility, and have even deleted INF files and FTDI registry entries trying to get those damn ECUFlash Open Port drivers to reinstall properly, but with no success. When I plug in a cable (either the 1.3 or OP2) it just says that it can't find the right driver and won't install properly. GRRRR.

Help?
Old May 17, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Have you tried start -> run -> regedit ?
Old May 17, 2009, 11:24 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dolphin888
Have you tried start -> run -> regedit ?
Yes, I've deleted FTDI folders in locations I found online, though I may not have done enough cleaning in the registry. Do you know, specifically, the items that need to be purged?

There's a location (or locations) that the Open Port driver install utility is checking to see that these drivers are already installed...when they are not installed properly in my case. I just wish I knew where it was looking to make the decision to bypass the installation.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Alright, this is fixed now.

The trick is to ALSO uninstall the "Windows Driver Package" entries -- I didn't even see those before!

Warning to those who try the FTClean utility - It'll dork up ALL of your FTDI drivers and will not remove all of them from Add/Remove, so you'll need to reinstall ALL of your FTDI drivers after you delete the "Windows Driver Package" entries, of course.

Attached Thumbnails How Do I Fully Uninstall Tactrix/Open Port FTDI Drivers?-ftdi.jpg