Notices
ECU Flash

Best 2 Step Settings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best 2 Step Settings

I know that you need to log while your on the 2 step, then retard the timing and add fuel in the right areas of the maps. How far are you guys retarding the timing? How much fuel are you adding in? My wideband does not work very well while on the 2 step so I will most likely have to guess by the numbers in the map. How much does this effect gear changes and WOT driving when you travel through the "tuned 2 step" part of the map.

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

^ I did this for a little while... until I ended up driving through those holes in my map. It sucks.

I would never leave them on outside of the drag strip. Then flash them back when I was done.

With the new round of ecu / tephra mods there are specific launch maps. With these... I add a ton of fuel, and pull timing -10. But they are easier to work with because you can taper your existing maps into the launch maps because you get 2 full tables.

What I found trying to use the first method is I would chase load around. The more timing I pulled and fuel I added, the more boost I could build on the 2 step. Leading to wider holes in the maps that you end up driving through. I managed to limit it to 4 adjacent cells. (Partly by adjusting my launch rpm to a # that does not fall into another lower cell.) And then it takes longer to build enough boost to get to the max boost possible. Because it has to catch the next cell and load up - then catch the next cell... then load up...

You'll see when you play with it.

With meth, it got easier. Once I hit a boost where it would activate, it acted as an alternate source of fuel, making it easier to build more between fuel cut pulses. Like I said though, the launch maps make this whole affair quick, easy and effective.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome thanks for the help. How often did you drive through the holes? Did it just bog down? Also, any idea on the release of the new tephra for 88590015?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

It was like 75% of hitting fuel cut... not fun. Problem is - my driving style (laying into it heavy part throttle all over.) put me in those holes pretty often.

Often enough I am very thankful for the launch maps in the new patch.

Not sure what's coming down the pipe for 88590015, or the time line on the official release of the V7.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Your driving style is funny if you are hitting those load cells. The cells I would adjust is 6000 RPM 100-160 cells... Just depends on what the logs says and what you set the stationary rev limit to. So unless you are driving around partial boost at 5000-6500 you shouldn't hit those cells.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bambooi
Your driving style is funny if you are hitting those load cells. The cells I would adjust is 6000 RPM 100-160 cells... Just depends on what the logs says and what you set the stationary rev limit to. So unless you are driving around partial boost at 5000-6500 you shouldn't hit those cells.
exactly where i am, no effect on drivability cause i would never really hit there.

i made timing -10 in those cells and AFR 10? what do you think? more fuel?

builds 10 psi standing still. how long can you hold the stationary rev limit for?

also i am getting some knock ! help!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:47 AM

exactly where i am, no effect on drivability cause i would never really hit there.

i made timing -10 in those cells and AFR 10? what do you think? more fuel?

builds 10 psi standing still. how long can you hold the stationary rev limit for?

also i am getting some knock ! help!
bump for advice
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

EGT's will tell you how long you can sit on it.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:35 PM

no EGT gauge

any estimates? of course i am not gonna hold it for mins, but just want to get an indication.

What AFR should i set at for this? 9 AFR?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you want it to be so rich? Just put it at 11ish AFR Most people on the 2 step are on it just for a little bit. As soon as the lights drop at the staging lane they are on it. It is probably not good to stay on it too long. If you build too much boost you are just going to spin the tires anyways.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:19 PM

Why do you want it to be so rich? Just put it at 11ish AFR Most people on the 2 step are on it just for a little bit. As soon as the lights drop at the staging lane they are on it. It is probably not good to stay on it too long. If you build too much boost you are just going to spin the tires anyways.
cool, always thought richer conditions were better.

and timing wise?

i will be doing some testing on the car because if different feedback i get on AFRs and timing. i will post some logs on friday.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

What would cause the car to fall on its face when the 2 step is set at 6k? I've had two 11 sec subies, so I'm fairly confident its not me.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paintballguy
What would cause the car to fall on its face when the 2 step is set at 6k? I've had two 11 sec subies, so I'm fairly confident its not me.
Staying on it too long and pulling timing would cause that. Are you logging the run?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bambooi
Staying on it too long and pulling timing would cause that. Are you logging the run?
I'm going to go back this Friday and get some logs. I just got to borrow my friend's cable.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paintballguy
I'm going to go back this Friday and get some logs. I just got to borrow my friend's cable.
I know this happened to me when I first started dragging. I would stay on it too long and I would launch and it would pull timing like a **** and bog all to hell. So now what I do and see others do is just rev it up to like 5k if the 2step is @ 6k. Then when the lights start dropping I go WOT and stay on the 2 step very briefly.

I have seen people putting -10 in the timing areas where the 2step is for the best buildup of boost.

Quick Reply: Best 2 Step Settings