Notices
ECU Flash

Looking to convert to Speed Density...help needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to convert to Speed Density...help needed

Hey guys, I'm looking to convert my stock ecu to use speed density. From what I have gathered and skimmed around, I need an Omni 4 bar map sensor and an IAT sensor with pigtail. I also have the patch in my ecu rom for the SD. I want this thread to become a beginner's guide (for myself as well) to convert to speed density. Where am I able to purchase an Omni 4 bar map sensor and an IAT sensor with pigtail? Is that all I need parts wise?

Also, the IAT sensor placement I have read should be on the upper intercooler pipe more by the intercooler for a more accurate reading and the Omni 4 bar map sensor is on the intake manifold in the stock map sensor location correct?

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put both on the IM. start with jscbanks and mrfred's thread on SD. u can copy and pasty any info from those two threads and make a COMPLETE SD thread.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

i watched a buddy of mine "scale" the SD on another buddies car... i didnt understand anything he did... u must know someone who can scale it for u before u do it.. other than that it is an easy install from what i witnessed
Old Aug 24, 2009, 04:09 AM

i watched a buddy of mine "scale" the SD on another buddies car... i didnt understand anything he did... u must know someone who can scale it for u before u do it.. other than that it is an easy install from what i witnessed
i did mine (only required minor tweaks), but this is a good place for a pro to give us guidance on how to manipulate the two SD tables and how to troubleshoot.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rolly1818
i did mine (only required minor tweaks), but this is a good place for a pro to give us guidance on how to manipulate the two SD tables and how to troubleshoot.
dam really? every car is diferent as it took a couple hours to dial in my buddies.. Good luck anyways OP as i will be doin the same shortly
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I'd start here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...y-patches.html

This thread pretty much spoon-feeds the steps.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
IAT can go in the upper pipe prior to the TB. It doesnt have to be on the intake manifold. The one thing you need to make sure is that if you use Meth injection the IAT is positioned before the meth jet. Otherwise its going to spray the IAT down and make it useless for actually measuring anything.

The main thing you want besides the hardware when doing SD is a car that is already well tuned. Dont change everything all at once because then it will make tracking down the exact issues that much harder. The MAPVE and RPMVE tables arent hard to setup, and really seem to depend on what turbo you are using. Big inlet turbos (T3/T4) are different than the stock appearing turbos even if the stock appearing turbo might be able to make the same amount of power.

MAPVE is akin injector scaling and is a global fueling change based on pressure reading. RPM VE will be your fine tuning. To really take advantage of these features you need to be able to log the WB or spend some time on the dyno.

The hardest thing is going to be rethinking your timing map (MIVEC if included will need to have the load axis rescaled) because there are parts of the map that MAF car would never reach that all of the sudden an SD car will. This is mainly cruise, but its something you need to pay attention to.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

If you install the IAT sensor on the manifold will you let us know how you did?
I searched for a thread on how to remove the intake manifold but didn't find one.

I do not want to take off the head to get to the intake manifold
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by roger smith
If you install the IAT sensor on the manifold will you let us know how you did?
I searched for a thread on how to remove the intake manifold but didn't find one.

I do not want to take off the head to get to the intake manifold
The bolts are a pain to get to you but you can get to all of them from the top. There are the 9 that go to the head, and then 2 that face upward from the IM brace. I wouldnt remove it though to mount the IAT to the manifold. Use powerpunch and drill the IAT bung (the one to the right of the MAP sensor) and be careful to keep the shavings and grease out of the intake. Then tap it with powerpunch to trap the shavings and voila its ready to go. How we did my 5 bar MAP sensor on my stock manifold when I still had that.

aaron
Old Aug 24, 2009, 04:36 PM

Aaron when u get some time shoot me an email or PM. thanks!

i flashed to a map jscbanks made with all the bells & whistles
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

thanks guys, I think I'm gonna put the IAT sensor in the UICP near the intercooler from what i've read, and a OMNI 4 bar map sensor in the intake manifold. This setup seems the easiest to work with. Is the omni sensor the best one in your guys' opinion for setting it up and accuracy?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the IAT in my UICP and the OMNI 4-bar. Both seem to be working fine. Aside from the little issue that I found in the SD patch (at least for some people...trying to verify more on this), SD was working great.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
The bolts are a pain to get to you but you can get to all of them from the top. There are the 9 that go to the head, and then 2 that face upward from the IM brace. I wouldnt remove it though to mount the IAT to the manifold. Use powerpunch and drill the IAT bung (the one to the right of the MAP sensor) and be careful to keep the shavings and grease out of the intake. Then tap it with powerpunch to trap the shavings and voila its ready to go. How we did my 5 bar MAP sensor on my stock manifold when I still had that.

aaron
Thanks for the tip. I will try that, practice on some other piece of metal before.