Notices
ECU Flash

New thread for Speed Density tuning?...

Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:11 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Thx for the comments mrfred! Looking back, the main thing that tripped me up is that you can simply log MAT on MUT11 now vs applying your patch and then logging on MUT09. This kind of simplifies applying the SD patch and now that I know it (IDK if it was mentioned and I missed it or what) I really like it FWIW, I logged MUT09 and MUT11 side by side and they're identical.

So, this means my IAT/MAT scaling has been correct all along. I still have some warm-up driveability issues now that it's ~0°F here, so I think I'll have to mess with the warm-up fueling tables to see if they can be smoothed and soothed a bit
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info, I guess I'll leave the IAT table alone then. I actually went back to my RPM VE tables and made a few adjustments (since I kept throwing a CEL for Bank 1 fuel trim or something like that) and it seems to have smoothed things out quite a bit and looks like the afr's are a bit more consistent. I don't know why I had so many issues with the VE table at first, but I also reverted back to my old MAP scaling instead. I don't show a 0 reading from the map sensor when logging it with the car not running, but instead it sits at -0.431 which probably is pretty close to what it should be considering I'm almost 2200 feet above see level.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

I still cannot get my car to not lean out under WOT (or higher TPS) at very low rpm. No I don't go around doing WOT at 1200rpm regularly, but this lean-out issue arises when leaving from a stop, and its worse (for some reason) when cold.

I read through all of mrfred's advanced fuel control thread and between that and the advice given already here, I'd think all I need to do is crank up Asynch_vs_TPS but it simply hasn't worked for me, no matter what I do the car just wants to lean out like crazy!

I took some logs to clearly show the issue, even with the car fully warmed up. I am still using the out-of-the-box XML that comes with 96531706 and haven't added anything from mrfred's advanced fuel control thread, but I realize that some of the values do line up. Here's my current settings as well as the log (note afr goes into the 20's!):

I've tried a bunch of different values in the 1000-2500 VE RPM tables without any real results. One thing that kinda sticks out to me is the Asynch_Accesl_vsRPM, there's 0's in the spot I'm having trouble with...
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
I still cannot get my car to not lean out under WOT (or higher TPS) at very low rpm. No I don't go around doing WOT at 1200rpm regularly, but this lean-out issue arises when leaving from a stop, and its worse (for some reason) when cold.
Personally I believe its just a gradiant of RPM VE which can not be accounted for in the quick and dirty Speed density conversion this type of rom uses

As such it would be best to simply curve the fuel table at that point to make up for the control. At least thats what i'm doing at them moment with pretty good results
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:01 PM
EvoM Moderator

How so? 80 load @ 1200rpm I'm at 14.7 on my map, you suggest richening it waaaay up? Care to share that section of your fuel map? That's the thing though, the map is in the 14's, but AFR goes into the 20's, that makes no sense....I know they're not 1:1 numbers but still, that's a lot of fuel missing.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
How so? 80 load @ 1200rpm I'm at 14.7 on my map, you suggest richening it waaaay up? Care to share that section of your fuel map? That's the thing though, the map is in the 14's, but AFR goes into the 20's, that makes no sense....I know they're not 1:1 numbers but still, that's a lot of fuel missing.
Well first you have to make sure its not just tip in load going lean like i did with the async tables. Another thing was to make the RPM VE at that area sort of a compromise with the load map ve table.

The basic idea was to prevent the rpm VE percentage being so small it wouldn't handle the higher loads. Essentially if you make the rpm VE too low you squash the range of load the computer would see. Too little RPM VE would make the car lean out on top if you stepped on it at the same RPM.

Assuming 1:1 with kpa to load at 50% rpm VE its only dropping 20 load at 40kpa but its dropping 50 load at 100kpa. So the load from 40-100 is only 30 load points because of the rpm VE.

Once i had the table setup up close as i could to perfect so the values were at least touching 100% VE i adjusted the fuel table. In my case the car would only lean out to about 17 AFR when heavy low rpm throttle.

Attached Thumbnails New thread for Speed Density tuning?...-current-settings.jpg  

Last edited by RoadSpike; Dec 21, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not add more latency in th 11 & 14v areas? Should help richen it up a bit.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oracle1
why not add more latency in th 11 & 14v areas? Should help richen it up a bit.
I tried that personally but all it seemed to effect was idle not really much else
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

I dropped the Open Loop Load #1 table load percentages down (to around the 78% range and varying) from 500rpm up to the 2500rpm range. I've gotten a much better tip-in response from doing that in conjunction with the TPS Delta table (which hardly seems to make much of a difference for the lower rpm ranges IMO). Give it a shot and see if it helps with your tip-in issues, and keep in mind you may have to drop the appropriate load/kPa AFR ranges down to get a good tip-in and WOT for that range.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I get very lean AFRs below 1500 RPM at all loads...but only when cold.

When the car is warmed up, it sits in the 14s at the same loads and engine speeds.

I think there is another map stepping in (similar to the MAF scaling jitter) that is changing things under certain conditions.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
scheides, see if you can get logic to work out the locations of the maps that I recently added to my fuel pulse options post. I think these newer tables may be helpful.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7825476-post126.html

If you guys having the enleanment issues would put your main fuel map back to normal in the problem area and give that table a shot, it would be sweet to know if you cars drove the same as mine when cold after the changes.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

I could give it a shot tomorrow and report back what I find.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still getting an odd issue here that I thought I resolved but found out yesterday that I didn't. I used to get a lot of ignition break-up when going full throttle, then somehow I managed to eliminate it (figured it was due to all the cold weather where I'm at). Yesterday it actually warmed up to almost 40 degrees and as soon as I went WOT...ignition break-up, almost like a fuel cut. I could see the colder denser air maybe causing an issue, but when it's warmer out? That doesn't make sense to me. Of course, after driving for about 20-30 minutes the break-up was gone and it ran like normal again.
The last time I managed to eliminate the break-up I'm pretty sure I adjusted my RPM VE tables and it smoothed it out. Of course, after a week of driving now my fuel trims are back to their usual negative amount again and I'm getting this issue again. I can't win lol.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, after trying the warm-up table that 03whitegsr posted a few above me, I can honestly say the car ran worse...much worse. I changed nothing else other than the table you posted with the settings you had listed to use, and the car actually ran leaner after doing so, like in the 19-20 afr range instead of the usual 15-16afr that I was used to seeing and made the car pretty much undrivable until it warmed up. I swapped the table back to the stock settings and it ran fine again. Honestly I don't have any real cold idle or driving issues anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New thread for Speed Density tuning?...