Notices
ECU Flash

New thread for Speed Density tuning?...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 06:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was hoping this would be more of a how to. If someone would like to put together some consolidated information, or send me pieces of information, i could attempt to nicely consolidate it and sticky it. Mrfred always had very good tuning how to's for his patches, ECU controlled boost comes to mind.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd be happy to help setup a newb do-it-yourself post as that's what I am and I seem to be hitting every road block out there.

One more issue that may have been covered already in the 1000 posts in the Tephra V7 thread...searching turned up some related posts but nothing that seemed to match the problem exactly. That thread is so large that finding anything specific to the SD patch is about impossible now.

The MAT tables seem to be wrong in the ROM phenem posted. I was under the assumption that the ROM was pretty much plug and play. You hook the GM IAT into the fuel temp input in the ECU and use a MAP sensor in place of the MDP sensor, you load the rom and you start playing. Logging MUT 9 shows completely bogus results in Phenem's ROM.

Looking at the tables for the SD patch though, the SD IAT ADC values do not match the values from mrfred's MAT patch. Also, if you load up the tables from mrfreds patch, none of them show up correctly in Phenem's ROM.

The first two tables on the right show the SD patch tables to use the Fuel Temp input and then the scaling for the IAT.
The tables to the right are the MRFRED patch tables, with the values from his pre-patched ROM on the right and the Phenem SD patch rom on the left.

Should I patch MrFred's tables into this ROM?
Attached Thumbnails New thread for Speed Density tuning?...-mat-patch.jpg  
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr

Yes
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

For the 96530006, my recollection is that my MAT patch is not required. The reason is that there is no fuel temperature measurement in the 96530006. So its good-to-go that way. However, I've made some updates to the 96531706 xml that may help with tuning SD. The most substantial update to the xml is the addition of all the correct or better defined accel related tables. I can post it up tonight sometime if you want.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

That would be great.
I have these tables in my xml from your advanced fuel control options thread.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7639720-post23.html

So what MUT channel do I log to see the charge temperature used in the speed density patch?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 03:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
That would be great.
I have these tables in my xml from your advanced fuel control options thread.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7639720-post23.html

So what MUT channel do I log to see the charge temperature used in the speed density patch?
Yes, its some of those tables and I fixed a few little things with the xml.

IAT MUT will give you MAT with the SD patch.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some sort of write-up would be great, as I know I hit a lot of brick walls too that I had to stumble through. Unfortunately for me I could never really figure out how to average out the RPM VE to set the correct percentages and ended up using the original settings and focused more on getting the MAP sensor set as close as possible instead. So pretty much it was like I was tuning from scratch without any logs to start from. I would like to say though that getting the MAP vs kPa setting right seems to be 98% of the battle to getting this to run right.

I did also notice the tables mentioned dealing with the MAT patch, but since I'm still using the stock IAT input I never really bothered with it.

03whitegsr if you need any info at all from me to contribute towards maybe a large group write-up, feel free to ask...maybe I can prove useful after all lol.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tuning for SD really isn't that hard. Just follow jcsbank's original recommendation.

Before switching to SD, get a nice long maf-based log, hitting as many load/RPM cells as possible. Log baro+temp compensated load, map, and RPM. Use a program like LogWorks, Excel, EvoScan or whatever to make a 3-D chart of map(kpa) vs RPM, with VE (100*load/map) as the data.

The two SD VE tables are the two 2D tables that will be multiplied to try to emulate that 3D chart, based on your MAF based data. If you want, you can use Excel to multiply the two tables together to make a 3D chart. I did this when I was trying to fine tune the VE when I was troubleshooting the jumpy IPW.

But, it's pretty easy. You can start with the values that John posted, then adjust the two VE tables to match your 3D chart. It's simply MAP VE * RPM VE = final VE, which should match the VE you see in your 3D chart from your MAF based data.

Actually, all of this is in other SD threads, mainly the original one created by John. It would maybe be good to make one new 'tuning SD' thread and I was going to do that a long time ago, but ever since I switched back to MAF, I never had time to write that thread or get back to SD yet.

Eric
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im gonna be looking into doing SD later on.I think someone should do a write up on the whole switch from the hardware needed to what to tune for.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

The speed density tuning hasn't been too bad. Honestly, when it comes to actually tuning the car, that's the easiest thing for me. It was setup that caused all my headaches. Most of the issue were caused because I tried to jump into everything all at once. My cars been down a while and a lot has happened with ECUFlash since I last had my car up. I wanted to get a "top of the line" ROM going right off the bat... BIG MISTAKE.

1. I have NO LOGS of the current setup on the MAF.
2. I just rewired the car but was getting a ton of CELs for sensor issues. This turned out to be related to evoscan/baudrate but I spent a good deal of time troubleshooting wiring.
3. 96530006 doesn't work for me with a baudrate of 62500...It caused all the CELs...setting it back to stock fixed all my CEL issues.
4. 96530006 is kind of the bastard child of ROMs, as I have learned. Everything that applies to all the other USDM ROMs with regards to MAT patches and MDP patches, don't apply. It makes it easier, but it caused some confusion.
5. While liveMAP looks promising, it's not user friendly. If I wasn't dealing with all the other issues, I'm sure I could figure it out. But it was the straw that broke the camels back on my frustration levels today.
6. Time line, I was trying to get the car ready for emissions testing today. I was rushing a lot of stuff that needs some careful implementation. That didn't happen and it bit me in the ***.

Most of it was just from me not sitting down and reading every last post available, AGAIN and applying it specifically to 9653XXXX. I've read pretty much everything out there over the last 6 months, but remembering it all when you try to implement all the changes is a whole different story.

Anyway, as of right now, I've got a car that doesn't stall except for in one situation related to coasting down in gear and pushing the clutch in. It stalls about 50% of the time still in that situation, but I'm pretty sure it's related to my MAP VE table. With the cams, my car wants to idle at 40kPa but coast down is like 18 kPa. It's pretty much impossible to tune down there though as the car is in fuel cut at that point, but as I clutch in the car goes out of fuel cut but it happens so quickly that I really can't even tell if it's going rich or lean.

Fair warning to anybody that just finished up a "major" build. If you are switching over from non-SD to this, I would HIGHLY suggest doing it one step at a time. Get 96530006 running first. Then the SD patch, then any other patches.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me thank you in advance for figuring all this stuff out Mike
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

If someone wanted to create some evoscan entries that people could just plug in so that all they had to do to get their VE would be to tick the boxes then maptrace then that would probably make things much easier. If someone doesn't get to it in the near future then I can probably do it but in the short term I have a very busy week.

In my mind it would look something like this.

Load-SD logreference="SD-load-axis-moved"
MAP-SD logreference="ecuload"
VE-SD logreference="map-sd" "100*load/map"
then just use RPM as it normally is, you would need to also comment out whatever you usually use as load because evoscan doesn't like duplicate log references.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03whitegsr...what map sensor are you using? In order for me to get my correct MAP vs Load%/kPa VE settings I cheated a little...I ended up using my old 94170015 rom that I had already set up to log from a MAP sensor. After I had the voltage scaling changes in place for my particular sensor, I then added in the xml coding for speed density for that particular rom. It automatically calculated what the tables should read according to the voltage scaling that I entered for setting up for map sensor logging. I simply copied the values over to the 9653 SD rom, and it's been just as exact as with the maf setup, even down to the fuel trims.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:49 PM
Account Disabled

The V7 thread has become insane....

Is there a Speed Density Evo 9 V7 rom yet or am I totally missing it?

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Nov 10, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

slocrx1, I'm using the Omni 4-bar.

One issue that I find a little troubling with this patch is that you aren't really creating a MAP VE table, but a MAP to load table. If you change the value, yes, it will correspond to a VE change and alter AFR in a fairly linear manner, but it will also move where you are at in the tables.

Some what of a double correction.

I'm highly debating on setting the MAP VE table and engine RPM VE table to 100% across the board. Then the Fuel table is more of a "target AFR * engine VE" table. Thus, 14.7 would represent a 14.7:1 target AFR on an engine running 100% VE. I'll have to map out all the cells to get the AFR I want though.

I'd really like to get the fuel table to reflect true AFRs, but I don't think it's going to happen without there being a 3D MAP-RPM VE table.

Quick Reply: New thread for Speed Density tuning?...