Notices
ECU Flash

New thread for Speed Density tuning?...

Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After idle and cruise everything seemed pretty normal... as normal being where things are suppose to be and no more 4th gear issues. I did a WOT pull on the way back and as you suggested it would be it was leaner by about a point + or -. My 3rd gear pull i was at about 12.3 or a little leaner thru a lot of it and 4th gear about the same, maybe a hair richer. I have logs, but i forgot to reenable my rear O2 so no trim adjustments. My STFT was still negative. I'll email you the logs if you want to take a look or i can just send you new ones tomorrow with the rear O2 active
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds good...seems to be off to a good start then.

Out of curiosity, why do you have the rear O2 disabled? Don't you run the rear O2 sim that is included with the tephra mods? You definitely want to have your trims active.

And as far as the AFR at WOT, as I mentioned you can use the RPM VE or your fuel maps. At this point, I would probably use the fuel maps, to keep a 100 scale on the RPME VE, but it's up to you. Maybe a combination of both, depending on how well the VE stays up on the top end on your setup, since we have the RPM VE tapering a bit now.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Feb 25, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

I think from here I'd move to fuel maps since my AFRs seem to be where they need to be during cruise and idle.

So to see if i have this grasped a little better....

To dial in the SD ... (Assuming injectors were dialed in before conversion)

log trims at idle, gather data, adjust the load % side of the Map Ve cal table accordingly and RPM Ve table as well.
When would you need to adjust the left side ? (Map kPa) Id assume when you need to get resolution in a certain area, but im not positive about that.

Log trims at cruise, go thru the same process. Adjust the tables...

WOT same...

What about when you are starting with a car that is on SD and swapping injectors ? Would you personally attempt to correct trims via the 2 tables ? Or scaled the injectors ?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
I think from here I'd move to fuel maps since my AFRs seem to be where they need to be during cruise and idle.

So to see if i have this grasped a little better....

To dial in the SD ... (Assuming injectors were dialed in before conversion)

log trims at idle, gather data, adjust the load % side of the Map Ve cal table accordingly and RPM Ve table as well.
When would you need to adjust the left side ? (Map kPa) Id assume when you need to get resolution in a certain area, but im not positive about that.
Correct on all counts. LTFT Lo + STFT for total correction at idle.

Log trims at cruise, go thru the same process. Adjust the tables...
Correct. For cruise, you need to look at LTFT Mid + STFT for total correction during cruise.

WOT same...
WOT can be done either via the SD tables or the fuel maps. When you have the SD tables and fuel maps nailed down, and adding new parts, just use the RPM VE table at WOT to adjust for the new VE. This also tells you how well your new parts are working.

What about when you are starting with a car that is on SD and swapping injectors ? Would you personally attempt to correct trims via the 2 tables ? Or scaled the injectors ?
That's a bit trickier. I personally would scale the injectors to a value that gets my WOT AFRs in line with what I would expect from the fuel map. That tells me the injectors are scaled properly. Then used established latencies for the injectors. Then, use the SD VE tables as above.

Others sometime use the method of using an arbitrary injector scaling to get loads to a lower number, but I personally wouldn't go that route.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Feb 25, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

That all actually made sense lol....

I think im understanding the adjustment phase.

What id like to get down is the Logworks mapping. That definitely seemed to make things easier. I was playing around with it a little bit, obviously i need to do more of it. Do you have logworks calculate the LTFT + STFT ? or is it something that when you select the 2 items it does it automatically if you have them on the same axis ?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

I had LogWorks calculate it with a math channel. Go to Tools, formula calculator, and type in this:

MC(Total_cruise)=STFT +FuelTrim_Mid

Then calculate and add to math library and give it a name.

Also, do the same with:
MC(Total_idle)=STFT +FuelTrim_Low

Then you will see that in your log and you can build a chart based on it.

Even easier would be to simply log 'selected LTFT' which is the LTFT the ECU is using (see my thread asking about it recently) and make a math formula for that + STFT. That way you don't need separate charts for idle and cruise. One long log can be used for both. Although, I usually like to take out the fuel cut sections of cruise, for example.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

so now it comes down to getting logworks to open my excel converted file...

I am trying to get excel to convert my .xls or .xlsx file to the .dif. When i do that, logworks says the file is invalid. Im thinking its because there are other things in the log that it doesnt recognize. I am going to try that theory out i guess.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

You have to have it in a special format. Use the logs I attached above as a template and/or guide.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

i see...

for some reason, it set it up as a quicktime opened file. I changed it to use excel and now i see what you mean about the format.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
If you want wait another day, I'll be posting up a prepatched v7 SD ROM and XML to go with it.
Have you by chance posted the updated xml yet? i have been checking, but have not found it. I would much appreciate this file!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Resi... if you are looking for the 88591715 xml and rom.... i have one that i made and i am using. It works just fine and has all of the option. PM your email address and i will send it.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Trying to tighten things up.... i went thru the methods posted, log, logworks, calculations etc... I took another 4% to 6% out in various areas and will flash and see how that looks. Things are a lot better though. For everyone who is struggling... try the method Eric posted, and if you have any questions, post them up. I will attempt to answer what i can as i am sure he will as well. Everything appears to be working though and the method while time consuming is a good way to get things tight.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Just keep in mind, though, without your IAT sensor installed, your trims will be changing with intake temps, since there is no compensation yet. So, don't go trying to tune exactly just yet. If you tune for a cold night, it will off during the hot day...tune for the hot day and it will be off for the cool night.

I would say just stay put for now until you get your IAT wired in correctly. Then, do this method to finalize your tune and it should stay put.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Feb 26, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

what a beautiful day that would be lol
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:18 PM
qnz
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
read thru this thread about 4 times. I learn something new everytime I read this.

Im confused by the RPM VE table. People have said that by lowering the RPM VE will make the car leaner, and vice versa. Here is my current VE tables (just the default rom values)

with these values, the car idles at 13afr. This is on a fully warm car in open loop only. I change the RPM VE to 70 in the first 4 rows and the car still idles in 13 afr. I drop it down to 40 and it is still the same. I can bump my fuel map like 4 points leaner and the car will idle at 14.7 but we dont want to do that right? I can change the injector size to 532 and it will idle at ~14.7 but I shouldnt have to do this on the 560 injectors? Upping the injector size works for me, but how else are you guys making the car leaner/richer using just those 2 tables?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New thread for Speed Density tuning?...