Notices

Evoscan Navigator in Evo X? Yes please !!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to throw more work your way... but anyway to have data items log when on some screens, but not log on others. The idea being that you don't have to have 10 items read from the ECU (which slows it down) when there are only a couple of things on the screen that need to be displayed.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 05:18 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah I thought of that, but I wanted to be able to still log some items to the csv log even though I only see a few of them on the screen at once. by changing the priority in your data.xml you can speed it up this way. i.e set barometer to priority 9 etc. and fuel trims to 9 etc.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I've done that.

But with more screens, comes more items to be displayed.

Maybe and interesting feature (and possibly easy to add) would be to have a parameter in data.xml like DisplayOnly = "true" and while it is polling data for the gauges, if it is not going to be displayed on the screen, it will not bother reading it from the ECU.

My Gauge has quite a few items being displayed on it, and the lag is ok, but you can see it. Maybe this is simply due to how fast the Nav can simply update the screen.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:24 AM
Silver Sponsor

yeah good point, I already have some options to get optimal speeds; but another option wouldn't hurt

Using current version of EvoScanPPC for max gauge display performance:
1) Show Readings (untick this for max performance)
2) Save to csv log file (untick this for max performance)
3) Auto Start Logger and Auto Show Gauges (tick these just to make it easier for handsfree)
4) use your pc to edit the data.xml file and set some items to priority="9" or higher for those items you don't care so much about.
5) untick those items on the main screen that your display doesn't use.

I will implement your idea:
1) Gauge Display Only (tick this for max performance, it will force all csv logging and all other dataitem requests being sent to the Vehicle unless it is on the current display gauge)

and you are right, this will be even more important in my next release with all the numbered gauge displays working, different screens will display different sets of information.

what about logging to csv file? I might as well log it to disk, it doesn't take long. the slowest part is the vehicle, unticking the data items that you don't need will have the most positive effect on speed. the gauge display screen updates are very efficient, I hand coded it all. and I used direct kernel drawing APIs for some of them.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did anyone hardwire it to the evo or are you keeping it plug and play
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Whatever you think is best. I don't log with the nav.

I have like 3 ways to log and I usually just use my laptop. Gotta love EvoScan!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:55 AM
Silver Sponsor

Hi mate, yeah i added your idea as an option to the settings screen called "Gauge Display Only"

Its all working perfectly.. I just have a few other things to tidy up with the new gauge template system. And I'll send you out a copy of the updated version.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

I think I found a bug / error with the software. I was going to post it here, but I think I'll open a ticked to make sure Hamish sees it.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
Silver Sponsor

Since I'm building EvoScan for iPad & iPhone & Andriod & GPSNav(Windows Mobile), I thought it made sense to put together a Gauge Designer software that can create templates for all 4 versions of EvoScan Mobile Apps. You can download Gauge Designer v1.2 from here: http://www.evoscan.com/gpsnav

Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Windows Mobile?!? Does that mean I will be able to have EvoScan on my Samsung Omnia II (Windows Mobile Smart Phone), log to my SD Card, and then view/edit it on my laptop!!!??!!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Screw windows mobile ... ANDRIOD? FOR SERIAL? [southpark refernce not serial plug hehe] Dude that will rock. I assume plugged into the USB? or via a bluetooth adaptor of sorts? What hardware are you designing on right now?

Last edited by Jumperalex; Dec 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoscan
yeah good point, I already have some options to get optimal speeds; but another option wouldn't hurt

Using current version of EvoScanPPC for max gauge display performance:
1) Show Readings (untick this for max performance)
2) Save to csv log file (untick this for max performance)
3) Auto Start Logger and Auto Show Gauges (tick these just to make it easier for handsfree)
4) use your pc to edit the data.xml file and set some items to priority="9" or higher for those items you don't care so much about.
5) untick those items on the main screen that your display doesn't use.

I will implement your idea:
1) Gauge Display Only (tick this for max performance, it will force all csv logging and all other dataitem requests being sent to the Vehicle unless it is on the current display gauge)

and you are right, this will be even more important in my next release with all the numbered gauge displays working, different screens will display different sets of information.

what about logging to csv file? I might as well log it to disk, it doesn't take long. the slowest part is the vehicle, unticking the data items that you don't need will have the most positive effect on speed. the gauge display screen updates are very efficient, I hand coded it all. and I used direct kernel drawing APIs for some of them.
Two questions related to Gauge Display Only:

Is there a way to poll a non-gauge item, like Baro or IPW, without displaying it on the gauges ... other than making it an gauge that blends in with the background and small fonts?

For both the GPS unit and PC EVOScan ... setting Baro to a low priority causes PSIG to not work right because I get a single instance of Baro and then zero's until the next reading. That messes up PSIG readings since it is evaluated using Baro. So is there a setting I'm missing that tells EVOScan to store/repeat a low priority reading in between polling?

Oh and what about still allowing logging even when using Gauge Display Only? I have a few templates for different tuning jobs and it would be very nice if the logged parameters tracked with my template selction. Right now, it seems, that I have to turn off Gauge Display Only and then manually changed the items to be logged to match my gauges Does that makes sense?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:11 AM
Silver Sponsor

thanks Jumperalex, I will look into both these enhancements and see what I can do, sounds pretty easy to add. I thought it did log to csv the Gauge Display Only items, but I will double check.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoscan
thanks Jumperalex, I will look into both these enhancements and see what I can do, sounds pretty easy to add. I thought it did log to csv the Gauge Display Only items, but I will double check.
hmm well I admit I hadn't checked the logs to see what was being logged. I saw that parameters, other than what were on my gauges, were checked on the main screen and assumed they were being logged and slowing down my gauge response as well. But now that I read your post that I quoted, it sure does sound like "gauges only" will do exactly what I mention re: polling and logging ... so I'm just an idiot blowing his horn

Here is a question for you ... about how fast can the unit realistically response when updating the screen for say a single boost dial gauge? Do I gain anything by only polling one parameter or can the units screen only update so fast? Ignoring the actual LCD screens refresh rate as an obvious limitation.

And yeah it would be really helpful if low priority parameters could be written and used in evals even when not being actively polled, thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:31 AM
Silver Sponsor

oh yeah, the EvoScan GPS unit is capable of drawing very very fast, so its the openport and the vehicle slowing it down. yes you can log just a single boost gauge. and it will be super fast.

yeah I'll look into "low priority parameters be written and used in evals" as far as I know it is already written, if its not in the evals, chances are its not being written, but I will double check.

Quick Reply: Evoscan Navigator in Evo X? Yes please !!!