Notices
ECU Flash

How To: Speed Density on the evo8 using tephra v7/Phenem pre-patched roms

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:43 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
These are stock maps, but the car didn't come with speed density stock. I would NOT say you could just throw it on a stock car and plan for it to be perfect. Your fuel trims are testament to this.

On the non-speed density maps, the car should be able to run stock, but that's assuming you copy all of the maps over from your stock rom to the new rom (i.e. double check them). Unless you were running speed density before, this is simply not possible.

Be careful, dial it in per the instructions, keep an eye on your wideband and knock...don't blow the car up!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:47 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by javicracer
dam! i wanna run SD but i dont know if is really worth it?!?! also ill get tune 500 miles from where i live, does this will affect my tune?!?!
You anywhere GST? Worth it and double worth it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7919016-post69.html
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheides
These are stock maps, but the car didn't come with speed density stock. I would NOT say you could just throw it on a stock car and plan for it to be perfect. Your fuel trims are testament to this.

On the non-speed density maps, the car should be able to run stock, but that's assuming you copy all of the maps over from your stock rom to the new rom (i.e. double check them). Unless you were running speed density before, this is simply not possible.

Be careful, dial it in per the instructions, keep an eye on your wideband and knock...don't blow the car up!
Gotcha...I would have thought that they were at least close...I will work on those VE maps. And my Zeitronix sits on my dash....i have my eye on that all the time.

And like I mentioned above.....the only real issue I am having is the decel fuel.....cruising and WOT areass already dialed in.

And do you have an answer as far as the MAP sensor not reading correctly in Evo Scan?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anybody having really bad lean issues when the car is cold? When I fire my car and leave for work the car swings rich to lean and goes so lean the car sputters until it gets moving then is fine until I shift and then goes lean for the first few seconds and sputters then continues to drive fine. Once I hit a certain coolant temp the lean issue is gone and all is well....

I converted to SD once last summer and I dont recall this issue....my trims are currently -1.4 low and -0.4 mid I think.

I can post up a log shortly - just wondering if anyone has noticed this issue...
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:09 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by alan678
Gotcha...I would have thought that they were at least close...I will work on those VE maps. And my Zeitronix sits on my dash....i have my eye on that all the time.

And like I mentioned above.....the only real issue I am having is the decel fuel.....cruising and WOT areass already dialed in.

And do you have an answer as far as the MAP sensor not reading correctly in Evo Scan?
Chances are your the high-load and high-rpm sections of your VE tables are fairly close, but your low rpm and low load sections are off. Read through the steps on tuning the VE tables and you'll be in good shape.

Regarding the MAP sensor, search for posts about the OmniPower 4bar and its scaling or the equation used in evoscan. There are a few different ones out there, and I verified them in a recent thread w/ a few other people. You can always adjust it just a bit to make it read zero when the car is off, then if the math is right it should be correct in boost.

Originally Posted by travman
Is anybody having really bad lean issues when the car is cold? When I fire my car and leave for work the car swings rich to lean and goes so lean the car sputters until it gets moving then is fine until I shift and then goes lean for the first few seconds and sputters then continues to drive fine. Once I hit a certain coolant temp the lean issue is gone and all is well....
It may not be obvious but you probably are experiencing the issue I had and discussed in step 6a. Try richening up the fuel map down there, it should help.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
It may not be obvious but you probably are experiencing the issue I had and discussed in step 6a. Try richening up the fuel map down there, it should help.
The only issue though it seems to be coolant temp dependent - once up to temp there is no problem....

I do have a slight lean tip-in but its not bad, will eventually adjust the advanced fuel tables but just working on getting everything else buttoned up first.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

hey guys i am trying to understand how this SD stuff work. from what i get from reading the first post is that

1) RPM VE is much like a fuel trim, like injector scaling. so once u have the injector scaling done you further dial in the RPM VE based on RPM. so as to get the actual AFRs closer to the afr in the table... that means when the car is running closed loop we try and get the rpm so that the trims are close to zero. and when boosting then we adjust the RPM VE to bring the fuel closer to whats on the fuel table.

2) MAP kpa/Map Load VE: basically a kind of look up table so that the load is eqvalent to the kPa.... so i presume once the maf is off the car then we dont have a real load value???

is that correct. also which load are we talking about raw load or one of the compensated loads.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ziad, if you have any long maf logs handy, take a look at the original thread by jcsbanks and how to setup speed density by creating 3D charts VE charts.

What you are trying to do is match the baro+temp compensated load from maf to SD. This way your fuel and ignition tuning will be identical. Also, the idle, cruising, and drivability in general should be very good.

A couple of issues are that the two 2D tables may not necessarily be perfect for capturing every nuance of a true 3D VE map, but in general, seems to work very good for most. The other issue, that 03whitegsr has mentioned, is that different altitudes seems to affect idling and startup because of the fixed baro value.

But, in general, you have the right idea of what you posted. If you do have a some maf logs, make a 3D chart as jcsbanks has described. Then use your two VE tables to match that as well as possible. Then, it's simply tuning of those two VE tables to bring your loads and trims back to where they were on the maf.

Remember, on the maf, the ECU is basically measuring volumetric airflow with the maf and calculating mass airflow with the baro + IAT sensor in the maf. With SD, we are calcuting the mass airflow from pressure + temp. The resultant VE is mapVE * RPMVE for any given cell in the 3D map.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jan 26, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by travman

I converted to SD once last summer and I dont recall this issue....my trims are currently -1.4 low and -0.4 mid I think.

I can post up a log shortly - just wondering if anyone has noticed this issue...
Had that issue. Used the Maf Comp vs Coolant temp tables to fix it. Just ended up adding a few values to the right side above operating temp.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l-options.html
Should be able to find the definitions in there and heres a pic of what I did. I started by adding 5 values, then 10, made it to 15, everything was good except the transition so I pulled a few from there and now cold running is good.
Top are the stock 2 tables for 9653 versions. Bottom are how mine ended up. This is running 96533706.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 07:07 PM
qnz
Evolving Member

has anyone had an issue with the car not starting up on the first try? It doesnt matter if the car is warm of cold, but now it sometimes takes 2-3 times to start the car?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Mine starts 100% on the 2nd try. I haven't messed with the "Cranking enrichment IPW adder" table, which is probably where the problem is.

Last edited by Routybouty; Feb 8, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by black2kgsr
Had that issue. Used the Maf Comp vs Coolant temp tables to fix it. Just ended up adding a few values to the right side above operating temp.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l-options.html
Should be able to find the definitions in there and heres a pic of what I did. I started by adding 5 values, then 10, made it to 15, everything was good except the transition so I pulled a few from there and now cold running is good.
Top are the stock 2 tables for 9653 versions. Bottom are how mine ended up. This is running 96533706.
I found these tables however the scaling on the left side is the same (coolant temp Fahrenheit) but the values in the right hand column are listed as "factor".

My values on the right below:

Did you change the scaling? If so could you tell me how? I'm using 96531706.

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:48 AM
EvoM Moderator

Take your time and make sure everything is scaled correctly and the car should fire right up on the first crank, just like stock. In the extreme cold (0°F) my car will drive a little rough in the 2500rpm range but as soon as it has a little heat in it its fine..I'm sure this is just a tuning issue. Also its common to put the defrost on immediately when its this cold, which is another source of issues for some people. Just isolate each issue and address them one at a time.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

i get a lot of missfires... about 4k on slight load... no missfires on maf rom..

also if the trims are -ve then we decrease the VE or increase the VE... also and i am being dumb here... if the AFR (through the pull) are richer than before do we decrease the VE or increase it.

thanks
Old Feb 9, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the trims are negative, then the ECU is pulling fuel, so you want less VE. If your AFR through the pull is rich, then you want less VE to lean it out.

Less VE leans it out, more VE richens it up.

Quick Reply: How To: Speed Density on the evo8 using tephra v7/Phenem pre-patched roms