Notices
ECU Flash

SpoolinUp SD plug-n-play harness development

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me see if I understand this correctly, Basically one would need this harness and a map and iat sensors along with a sd rom to download to the stock ecu and then tune from there as you would normally?

Sorry for the noobish question but I am trying to get a handle on this sd stuff as I really like the idea
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, plastic molding is very inexpensive when the volume is up there. The number of people using this probably won't offset the expense of just the molds without it being pretty pricey.

I'm sure not what you are after, but for a true "Plug and Play" setup...toss the IAT in the inlet preturbo...
I know not Ideal, but I know the Suby guys do it all the time and it works fine.

Not a single wire to run or bung to weld in...
No new intake or filter required to get rid of the MAF
Works with stock inlet box.
Attached Thumbnails SpoolinUp SD plug-n-play harness development-maf-replacement.jpg  

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Feb 10, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpoolinUp
Mitsubishi Connector does not make the Male plug...looked EVERYWHERE. A whole boatload of Mitsu uses the Female plug though.
Maybe Tom and Dave would be willing to sell them individually? http://www.dsmlink.com/wiki/announce..._maf_connector

Edit: yeah, as Matt pointed out, that's the 2g plug. Not going to work for Evo MAFs.

Last edited by logic; Feb 10, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

This is really nice, When will this be sold?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic
Maybe Tom and Dave would be willing to sell them individually? http://www.dsmlink.com/wiki/announce..._maf_connector

Joint venture for a SD cable?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:31 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is not for the correct MAF....may want to remove the links guys so people don't go buying a bunk part.
That is for a 2G DSM MAF.

Last edited by SpoolinUp; Feb 10, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Added a note to my post, you're absolutely right. Not sure what I was thinking.

Comparison shot, in case anyone else makes the same mistake:

Evo on top, 2g on bottom.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:49 PM
Silver Sponsor

Added a note to my post, you're absolutely right. Not sure what I was thinking.

Comparison shot, in case anyone else makes the same mistake:

Evo on top, 2g on bottom.
No worries man!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:59 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by acamus
You know what is funny, I have searched for baro in my ROM other day, and guess what I have found there is none, mitsu somehow managed to get the value from MAP. I have logged it and it changes over time. So if I will figure it out there may be no need for additional ADC/sensor. Just my .02.
This is what I'm thinking. I said before, manifold pressure is manifold pressure. It doesen't matter what the pressure outside the manifold is, the motor sees manifold pressure. Now for startup, I can see the baro input affecting things to a small degree. So from what you are saying, incooperating baro comp into the current speed density will require recoding?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpoolinUp
Thanks for all the input guys.
I searched and searched for the factory male connector. It didn't exist so I decided to "make" my own. I am for sure going to make a run of them but there are a TON of steps involved to get it all right so we will see how many and how much it will be. As Fred said, still developing it all.

Really good idea. The baro I found is very close to the factor scale, within under .03 bar throughout the scale looks about right. The sensor I found would work without a rescale and cost about $30.

Most of us have the stocker kicking around. Plus they are common on most DSM era cars too, so yeah there are about a billion of them. This may be the best solution.

What do you all think?
Id be interested in buying a bunch as well.. We sell several Sd kits a week and this would be a nice edition.. Thanks!!

Mike
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think his ROM is "normal."

96530006 definitely has a BARO ADC read section and baro is used in numerous sections of the ROM.

I'd say it's more than a "small degree" on start up. My car cold starts well at 4500'. I BARELY got it to start at 9000' and even then, it wouldn't idle on it's own.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 0xDEAD
This is what I'm thinking. I said before, manifold pressure is manifold pressure. It doesen't matter what the pressure outside the manifold is, the motor sees manifold pressure. Now for startup, I can see the baro input affecting things to a small degree. So from what you are saying, incooperating baro comp into the current speed density will require recoding?
Recoding is already underway (acamus is taking the first stab at some of the features). Having active baro will be an enable/disable option for those who don't want it.

Last edited by mrfred; Feb 10, 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
For those wanting to use the factory 1 bar MAP sensor, there are couple of potential drawbacks.

1 - It does not have quite the same range as the factory baro sensor. A scaling table or conversion formula in the ROM might be needed for it to integrate properly.

2 - I don't know much about the price of plugs, but I wonder if the cost of a MAP sensor plug is on par with the $30 baro sensor.

Last edited by mrfred; Feb 10, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

That's going to be soooo sick. I want one.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:10 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrfred
For those wanting to use the factory 1 bar MAP sensor, there are couple of potential drawbacks.

1 - It does not have quite the same range as the factory baro sensor. A scaling table or conversion formula in the ROM might be needed for it to integrate properly.

2 - I don't know much about the price of plugs, but I wonder if the cost of a MAP sensor plug is on par with the $30 baro sensor.
1 - The minimum reading in the stock MAP sensor is about 250 feet MSL or 29.53 altimeter setting. I think that is on the border of just fine and not. On the other sensor it goes lower than -3000 below sea level and well below the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded. I still think the other sensor is better suited but we will give it a shot on both sensors. At least mrfred will. I'm good at executing but so far behind on the software.

2 - I'm about an expert on plugs by now. I have had samples on the way since 3 hours ago for the stock MAP sensor connector.

I'll get you one of each mrfred and we'll work from there.

Quick Reply: SpoolinUp SD plug-n-play harness development