Notices
ECU Flash

testing the new FIC 1100 cc/min saturated injectors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
testing the new FIC 1100 cc/min saturated injectors

I took the plunge and decided to try a set of the new FIC 1100 cc/min saturated injectors. Like all the other saturated injectors that have recently hit the market, these are a Bosch unit but with a somewhat different appearance. There is a pic of one of these injectors in JohnBradley's thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...injectors.html

Installation went smoothly (as with all high impedance injectors, the factory injector resistor pack needs to be shunted), but one thing I'll mention is that because of the slightly unusal geometry of these injectors, the injector power wires on the engine harness have to stretch a bit further, and its impossible to get the injector plug locking clips installed. I don't think there will be any issues with the injector power plugs rattling off, but SpoolinUp's snap-on injector plugs would be perfect for these injectors.

After several adjustments throughout the day, I got the scaling and latencies about 98% dialed in. For me, that means my trims are dialed to within 2%. Scaling and latency values are listed below. The scaling is exactly what I had for my FIC1050s on E85, and is about 20% higher than Bosch 900/1000 cc/min saturated injectors. These injectors should be good for at least 450 whp (if not 500 whp) on E85 and are well matched to a single Walbro 255 pump. The latency values in the spec sheet were a bit lower than what my Evo wanted.

Daily drivability of these injectors is better than both my FIC1050s and my ID1000s. They idle like the ID1000s, but they have better tip-in and light acceleration response, especially when taking off from a stop. With my FIC1050s, I could take off from a stop at very low RPMs and with very little throttle. These FIC1100s have the same feel.

I'm sure a few people are wondering about warm starts. On E85, warm starts are very good with these injectors. After letting the engine sit for 45 min - 1 hr, it is consistently lighting up on the "second" crank using the stock startup fuel maps.

One thing I haven't had time to do is examine WOT response in detail, and I'm not going to be able to do that for another three weeks due to other commitments. I have done a few quick WOT blasts though, and they feel fine even without requisite retuning the fuel map.

Thus far, I'm quite pleased, and if the WOT response is the same as my FIC1050s and my ID1000s, these will definitely be the best injector I've tried.

EDIT: Here are my latest settings as of March, 2011 running E85 that contains 82% ethanol (as read by my ECA).

Code:
scaling: 680 cc/min (E85)

volts   latency (ms)
 4.69     5.650
 7.04     3.552
 9.39     2.136
11.73     1.488
14.08     1.128
16.43     0.912
18.70     0.816

Last edited by mrfred; Mar 21, 2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those latency settings are interesting....

Scaling looks great on E85. These might be what the doctor ordered on E85 Evo 10's...

Thanks for sharing

- Bryan
Old Mar 3, 2010, 05:51 AM
EvoM Guru

The latency values came in about 0.1 ms slower than my ID1000s. Of course the only value that I have truly nailed down thus far is the 14.08 V value. The others are just an estimate based on the supplied scaling curve and my experience with the ID1000s.

Definitely very pleased with these injectors thus far, and they ought to be big enough to make a single Walbro the limiting factor when fueling my future BBK or BBK-B on E85.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice info mrfred. I never knew you had issues with your older FIC 1050's, in regards to warm starts, etc.

After dialing in my FIC Bluemax 1250s I have had 0 issues with them for cold and warm starts. The only issues were well below 0 starts on E85 (like -20), which isn't an injector issue for that fuel.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Nice info mrfred. I never knew you had issues with your older FIC 1050's, in regards to warm starts, etc.

After dialing in my FIC Bluemax 1250s I have had 0 issues with them for cold and warm starts. The only issues were well below 0 starts on E85 (like -20), which isn't an injector issue for that fuel.
My first set of FIC1050s had warm start issues on gasoline but none on E85. The second set was better. I'm about 98% certain the warm start issue is a combination of a not quite leak tight seal at the injector nozzle and sustained fuel pressure on shutdown.

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Have you tested them on pump gas?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by eTiLiKo
Have you tested them on pump gas?
Not yet, and I am interested in how these warm start on gasoline, but I'm on travel for the next four weeks. If someone else hasn't tried by then, I'll give it a try.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:10 PM
Account Disabled

That is interesting that they scale so much larger than the ID1000's. I still love my ID's, but I'm a strange one.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 0xDEAD
That is interesting that they scale so much larger than the ID1000's. I still love my ID's, but I'm a strange one.
Its a different body than what is used for the ID1000. Apparently its possible to get a bit more flow from this body style.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Mychailo - Why the High Impedance 1100's over the FIC BlueMax 1250 ? Also what is involved in "shunting the resistor pack" ?

TIA !
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cij911
Mychailo - Why the High Impedance 1100's over the FIC BlueMax 1250 ? Also what is involved in "shunting the resistor pack" ?

TIA !
I haven't tried the BlueMax 1250s, so I couldn't say which is better. Bryan has commented a few times that the BlueMax's seem to work pretty well. All the propaganda on the internet says that the advantages of the new generation of high impedance (Bosch) injectors over low impedance (BlueMax) injectors is better pulsewidth consistency at low pulsewidths (idle, cruise), a more linear fuel delivery as a function of pulse width, and a finer mist of fuel with a wider spray pattern. The FIC1100s behave pretty much like my FIC1050s with the exception of a more stable idle, and slightly better gas mileage. One issue that is not specific to injector type is warm starts. Some warm start well while others warm start poorly. There is still no definitive answer on why some are better than others. My FIC1100s are warm starting fine on E85. Have yet to try gasoline.

Shunting the resistor pack is pretty easy. If you do a search in the ECUFlash forum, you should be able to find some pics and a description. There is also some info in the AEM forum where there is an ID1000 thread.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

I finally got these installed and my warm start issues seem to be gone. I went out just now at work after the car sat for an hour and it fired right up, normally it would be hard starting at this point. The only thing I did was adjusted the first pulse fueling table and seems to be perfect.

They drive and idle wonderful as you would expect from the high impedance injector line and they are def. worlds better than the low impedance variant of old as 0xDEAD pointed out, I had starting issues with the old 1050's and these are hands down a much better investment for injectors.

I am extremely happy with these injectors and thanks to mrfreds great work on the latencies he cut my work down a ton. EDIT: I had to tweak the latencies and scaling some but i am getting closer - I will post up my final settings once I am satisfied. After yesterday the trims finally started drifting which is why I always drive the car a few days before i make changes because the trims need time to settle out unless they are waaaay off.

Edit:

Also here is a pic of the arrangement for these injectors.....it was brought to FIC attention about the wire stretching a bit much for the original configuration so he revised it to this style which puts the plug in the stock location for the evo VIII/IX and dsms, its the same injector but instead of just a top extender he uses a lower and upper extender now, fits very well.

Name:  fic1100.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  25.7 KB

Last edited by travman; Apr 7, 2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:02 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
I finally got these installed and my warm start issues seem to be gone. I went out just now at work after the car sat for an hour and it fired right up, normally it would be hard starting at this point. The only thing I did was adjusted the first pulse fueling table and seems to be perfect.

They drive and idle wonderful as you would expect from the high impedance injector line and they are def. worlds better than the low impedance variant of old as 0xDEAD pointed out, I had starting issues with the old 1050's and these are hands down a much better investment for injectors.

I am extremely happy with these injectors and thanks to mrfreds great work on the latencies he cut my work down a ton. EDIT: I had to tweak the latencies and scaling some but i am getting closer - I will post up my final settings once I am satisfied. After yesterday the trims finally started drifting which is why I always drive the car a few days before i make changes because the trims need time to settle out unless they are waaaay off.

Edit:

Also here is a pic of the arrangement for these injectors.....it was brought to FIC attention about the wire stretching a bit much for the original configuration so he revised it to this style which puts the plug in the stock location for the evo VIII/IX and dsms, its the same injector but instead of just a top extender he uses a lower and upper extender now, fits very well.

I kind of wish they hadn't rearranged them like that. With the adapter harness for my X they were too tall and had to be turned / smushed to fit.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

I had trouble finding the information on shunting the resistor pack - here you go :

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...istor-box.html
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cij911
I had trouble finding the information on shunting the resistor pack - here you go :

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...istor-box.html
Thanks for adding the link.

Quick Reply: testing the new FIC 1100 cc/min saturated injectors