Notices
ECU Flash

Bad idle after flashing map

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2021, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad idle after flashing map

Hey so I just purchased a evo 8 and I’ve been trying to learn the ecuflash software. I recently messed with the idle tables trying to lower my cold start idle but when I flashed the adjusted map my idle was fluctuating between 500-1000 and seem like it wanted to die but eventually steady out at 1100.

I decided to flash my original map to see if the probably was from my adjustment but i still had the same idle issue at start up.

I’m trying to figure out if flashing a new map erases the fuel trims and that’s why I’m having these issues, does it need to just relearn the fuel trims again?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 03:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomkun
I’m trying to figure out if flashing a new map erases the fuel trims and that’s why I’m having these issues, does it need to just relearn the fuel trims again?
Reflashing on an Evo 8 will not reset the fuel trims. You will need to disconnect the battery for a moment to reset the trims.

Also, you say you recently purchased the car -- I would not assume that idle problems come only from the tune. These cars have likely gone through quite a few owners at this point. You should do a visual inspection, especially of the boost hoses and vacuum connections. Do a boost leak test if you can. Also check to see if your IACV is healthy. There are quite a few posts on the forum that you should seek out concerning aftermarket IAC valves that did not match the behavior of the OEM valve and caused idle issues.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
im no tuner... but i will say if i was a tuner, i would tell you to look at your logs and see what is going on... then make the changes to fix the problem

if you dont know what to look for in the logs, then playing with the tune is a dangerous game if your not sure what your doing.

i
The following users liked this post:
Tomkun (Nov 16, 2021)
Old Nov 16, 2021, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by carbon_toast
Reflashing on an Evo 8 will not reset the fuel trims. You will need to disconnect the battery for a moment to reset the trims.

Also, you say you recently purchased the car -- I would not assume that idle problems come only from the tune. These cars have likely gone through quite a few owners at this point. You should do a visual inspection, especially of the boost hoses and vacuum connections. Do a boost leak test if you can. Also check to see if your IACV is healthy. There are quite a few posts on the forum that you should seek out concerning aftermarket IAC valves that did not match the behavior of the OEM valve and caused idle issues.
Thanks, I will do a boost leak test and go over everything to verify there’s no leak first.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by hutch959
im no tuner... but i will say if i was a tuner, i would tell you to look at your logs and see what is going on... then make the changes to fix the problem

if you dont know what to look for in the logs, then playing with the tune is a dangerous game if your not sure what your doing.

i
ecuflash is totally new to me but I got a chance to look at my tune and it’s hard to follow everyone’s advice on the forum since the tables are different depending on which version you have.