Notices
ECU Flash

warm start up issues... way lean!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
warm start up issues... way lean!

ok, so I just added some RC 1000's to the car, and have been trying to dial in the scaling/latencies... Now I have the trims in check (low = +3.9 / mid = +2.5) after 24 mins. for low and 24 mins. for mid.
Now, my issue, is NOT w/ cranking, but w/ a lean idle, ONLY on "warm starts"! Cold starts are damn near perfect!
Heres my scalings and latencies, and a screen shot of the issue.

As u can see, right @ start up, very lean afr, the lean idle issue goes away and idles fine, but that first min. or so is ****ty. ~18.5 AFR (sounds lopey and like its trying to die, but idle was stable...
I did search, but only came up w/ cranking issues....

TIA
Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the opposite issue; rich idle on cold starts. Everywhere else is fine. I am on stock injectors but I think tuning the open loop fuel and timing maps help some.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have rpm and load logged for one of those starts vs. a cold start?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

ya, on this log, (warm) looks like it starts @ ~ 656 rpm and works its way up to 850-900/38 load, shortly after. On a cold start, rpm's will hit 1500/ ~ 36 load.
also note that the STFT isnt registering, and then as soon as it does, it stabilizes!

edit: now that I think about it, could this be a cranking issue? I noticed that when it cranks over (warm) IPW is @ 1.536, and my "initial cranking IPW vs. coolant" is set to 1.8 (last 2 cells), will lowering this to 1.536 help? IPW settles @ 1.28, just before everything stabilizes.
Also, have a map, "cranking enrichment IPW adder (Main)" would adding a bit to this map help? which is 2.0, and 1.0 in the last two cells?

Last edited by nonschlont; Dec 8, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
also note that the STFT isnt registering, and then as soon as it does, it stabilizes!
That's because when STFT is 0, you're in open loop. When STFT begins registering, closed loops is active and the fuel trims correct your issue.

If this issue just arose with the new injectors, are you sure your scaling is accurate via WOT pulls before and after? Also, I know you said you idled and cruised for 24 minutes, but that's not necessary. You can see what your final trims will be at idle by adding LTFT Lo +STFT and at cruise by adding LTFT mid + STFT.

In your situation, I would bump your scaling down a tad, until you see both of your trims come up a little on the negative side and see if your issue goes away. Or, just add a bit of latency, which should richen up the idle moreso than the cruise and bring your trims down as well.

If all else fails, then you can look into the maf vs coolant temp for some fine tuning at the temps you are having issues with.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
That's because when STFT is 0, you're in open loop. When STFT begins registering, closed loops is active and the fuel trims correct your issue.

If this issue just arose with the new injectors, are you sure your scaling is accurate via WOT pulls before and after? Also, I know you said you idled and cruised for 24 minutes, but that's not necessary. You can see what your final trims will be at idle by adding LTFT Lo +STFT and at cruise by adding LTFT mid + STFT.

In your situation, I would bump your scaling down a tad, until you see both of your trims come up a little on the negative side and see if your issue goes away. Or, just add a bit of latency, which should richen up the idle moreso than the cruise and bring your trims down as well.

If all else fails, then you can look into the maf vs coolant temp for some fine tuning at the temps you are having issues with.
Thanks for the response!

I'll try bumpin the scaling down, and see if it helps....

Last edited by nonschlont; Dec 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM.