Notices
ECU Flash

Help: EcuFlash can't read ECU

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Help: EcuFlash can't read ECU

Forgive me if this is an easy fix, but for some reason I can reflash my car just fine but I am unable to read the ECU with EcuFlash. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ecuflash but I still have the same problem. Below is a picture of what happens whenever I click to read the ecu. It acts like it can't find the read ecu templates or something but I checked that and they're all there so IDK what else to do. Again, forgive me if this is a stupid question with an easy fix but I tried searching and didn't come up with anything. Thanks guys!

Oh and in case you're wondering, I'm using EcuFlash version 1.42.2595 and the last ROM I flashed to the car was a Tephra 5-10

Last edited by Ian0611; Feb 26, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was having the same problem the other night. If you can write, try doing a test-write. That worked for me. Don't know how but it did work and its been connecting fine since.
Good luck
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evonewb29
I was having the same problem the other night. If you can write, try doing a test-write. That worked for me. Don't know how but it did work and its been connecting fine since.
Good luck
Yeah I can write no problem. It just won't read for some reason.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Have you tried a test-write?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evonewb29
Have you tried a test-write?
No but I wouldn't think that that would make a difference if it will write just fine. I can give it a shot though.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Well after messing around with EcuFlash a little more I think I figured out what the problem was. For some reason my read templates are getting placed into a separate folder and EcuFlash is looking for them in the evo folder. So I changed the metadata directory location to the "read templates" folder and I got it to read but it didn't want to open anything up after it read it. I then had to change the directory again back to the rommetadata "evo" folder in order to open the ROM and view it. I'm thinking if I cut and paste the read templates into the "evo" folder that should fix the problem so that I don't have to keep switching the directory. Does that make sense? IDK lol I'm just glad I sorta figured it out. Thanks guys for chiming in!
The following users liked this post:
oscar07 (Mar 9, 2020)
Old Mar 6, 2011, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ian0611
Well after messing around with EcuFlash a little more I think I figured out what the problem was. For some reason my read templates are getting placed into a separate folder and EcuFlash is looking for them in the evo folder. So I changed the metadata directory location to the "read templates" folder and I got it to read but it didn't want to open anything up after it read it. I then had to change the directory again back to the rommetadata "evo" folder in order to open the ROM and view it. I'm thinking if I cut and paste the read templates into the "evo" folder that should fix the problem so that I don't have to keep switching the directory. Does that make sense? IDK lol I'm just glad I sorta figured it out. Thanks guys for chiming in!
Hi Ian0611, I am having the same sort of issue with a USDM evo 8, I borrowed my friend's laptop, with the same result...
Did this method work? I mean copying the templates folders into evo folder?
Do I need to copy all the folders? Or just the evo7-8 template?
Thanks for your help
The following users liked this post:
oscar07 (Mar 9, 2020)
Old Mar 6, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dochka
Hi Ian0611, I am having the same sort of issue with a USDM evo 8, I borrowed my friend's laptop, with the same result...
Did this method work? I mean copying the templates folders into evo folder?
Do I need to copy all the folders? Or just the evo7-8 template?
Thanks for your help
You should be fine just copying the evo 7-8 templates. The other thing that I've done since then is changed the directory to the "rommetadata" folder which is the one that contains the Mistubishi, Read Template,Subaru folders, etc... I haven't tried it out as far reading the ECU goes but I'm pretty sure it will work. I'm not sure why I didn't just try that in the first place but it appears to be working to at least open the ROMs and edit them.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 02:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be fine just copying the evo 7-8 templates. The other thing that I've done since then is changed the directory to the "rommetadata" folder which is the one that contains the Mistubishi, Read Template,Subaru folders, etc... I haven't tried it out as far reading the ECU goes but I'm pretty sure it will work. I'm not sure why I didn't just try that in the first place but it appears to be working to at least open the ROMs and edit them.
Thanks mate, I checked the templates folder and it doesn't contain "Read_evo8", but i opened the "read_evo7" and it has read evo_7-8 in the code;
Do i need to add a "read_evo8" template or this is fine?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dochka
Thanks mate, I checked the templates folder and it doesn't contain "Read_evo8", but i opened the "read_evo7" and it has read evo_7-8 in the code;
Do i need to add a "read_evo8" template or this is fine?
No the Evo 7 and Evo 8 use the same base xmls from the evo 7.

Last edited by Ian0611; Mar 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a copy of the read templates folder

put this in C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata

EDIT:
Oh least i should point out that if you changed the location of the rommetadate folder you'll need to put this zip fold with its folder over there instead of the default location like i specified.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
read templates.zip (3.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by RoadSpike; Mar 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

I know I'm a few days late but I just wanted to let you guys know that this worked for me for reading the ECU as well. I'm not sure how or why my directory location ever got changed in the first place but everything appears to be working fine now
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:22 PM

Hey guys im having ECU problems as well...

I have ecuflash 1.42 and with ecu unlocker started it still wont read my 2003 Evo 8 ecu.

It says "an error occured. see the log for details"
in the log it says:
"Sending int sequence 1 (0001)
Sending int sequence 1 (0003)
Sending int sequence 1 (FFFF)
Sending int sequence 1 (F0F0
no response to any known code"

u guy got any ideas?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03Silver
Hey guys im having ECU problems as well...

I have ecuflash 1.42 and with ecu unlocker started it still wont read my 2003 Evo 8 ecu.

It says "an error occured. see the log for details"
in the log it says:
"Sending int sequence 1 (0001)
Sending int sequence 1 (0003)
Sending int sequence 1 (FFFF)
Sending int sequence 1 (F0F0
no response to any known code"

u guy got any ideas?
Sorry man. Wish I could help but I'm unfamiliar with the problem that you're dealing with.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:11 PM

Is it possible that the ecu is locked? If so how do I unlock it?

Quick Reply: Help: EcuFlash can't read ECU