Notices
ECU Flash

General non-information about factory ALS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
We use the factory BCS map to assist. Its not the factory code, but it is ECU controlled ALS.

This is how effective it is though, in that video the testpipe dump opens up on a CLOSED throttle plate. It has a 7psi spring in the dump so it moved enough air through the IAC to pressurize the manifold and open that up.

My car makes 8psi off boost, EvoRS is somewhere around 14psi.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Maybe we would be best off covering what table EvoRS would like to be created. JB, do you know what he wanted? Tried contacting him, a while back, he seemed MIA. I put a wanted ad up on lancerregister for the factory stuff, I would much rather have it that way.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Sep 11, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Maybe we would be best off covering what table EvoRS would like to be created. JB, do you know what he wanted? Tried contacting him, a while back, he seemed MIA. I put a wanted ad up on lancerregister for the factory stuff, I would much rather have it that way.
I think that if you want this to be a popular option, basing it on the factory ALS hardware is not going to work. Its pretty hard to find, and is kinda spendy. Have you looked at what goes into ALS systems on other platforms?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

BTW, what's your goal for antilag? Do you just want it for drag racing?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Ive seen other setups, ie NASIOC where Mick the ginge used two solenoids from mcmaster carr and had autronic?? antilag on his road race machine.. a yellow bugeye wagon.. Im aware of throttle kickers, and genuine bypass systems such as those on the gtfour, evo etc.. I want it purely for self enjoyment, and the ability to TRY and drive with it during autocross, but I know this is impractical, yet would be a thrill.. I know it makes cars very power on or off. The thrill, is the only thing that keeps me going, and at most, what keeps others going.

Ive viewed some toyota cars which used no BOV/BPV and instead only dumped bypass air into the exhaust manifold. im familiar that WRC subarus impimented ALS very effectively and the long exhaust tract and unusual rocket shaped uppipe facilitated ALS in good fashion. Ive assumed that, since many of the manufacturers never provided the homologated ALS stuff with function, that having one that did function would be that much more intriguing.

the requirements of the factory hardware are not hard t meet. I would like the integrated look of it, but ive already layed out how I would impliment it if i cannot achieve this factory hardware. ive seen a few other setups which plumbed air into the exhaust mani with various bits of hardware and pulled air from the UICP.

If its a reasonable thought, coming up with a true motosports type ALS bits and pieces that anyone could come about, then the programming should be able to somewhat accomodate some adjustability .

Im talking about antilag assembly at this point, the disassembly thread died..

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Sep 11, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

I get what youre saying, I could just add a large enough valve from charge piping to intake mani, and use pwm, and rotational cut for als.. More simple right ?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

I get what youre saying, I could just add a large enough valve from charge piping to intake mani, and use pwm, and rotational cut for als.. More simple right ?
A couple thoughts cross my mind:

1) Might be possible to use the ISCV for air bypass into the intake manifold. Not sure if it opens and closes fast enough though.
2) The brake booster vacuum line could provide a source of bypass air injection into the intake manifold. Might make the brakes somewhat ineffective though. Are there any other big inputs on the intake manifold?
3) I do like the idea of an exhaust manifold air injection system. The GTSpec exhaust manifold has the factory SAS fittings on them, and they do feed into the exhaust pipes, so that's an option.

What solenoid to use to feed #2 and #3? Seems like a fairly high flow valve is needed. A solenoid-controlled diverter valve sounds cool, but it would need vacuum, and isn't the IM under boost during antilag?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:01 PM
EvoM Guru

When I get to a desktop I'll search nasioc for his thread. I have a 3/8 npt thread tap I'm sure I could get something worth it's beans with that. Also iscv doesn't work as others have experimented before
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:57 AM
EvoM Guru

I've driven in winter with no brake booster, it was bearable for me.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:15 AM
EvoM Guru

... Also iscv doesn't work as others have experimented before
Do you know they tried to use any of the ISCV Demand tables from my ISCV disassembly?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

I did not follow that thread explicitly, but I had recalled someone trying to use it with fail. Would any cel become of replacing the standard icsvhardware with a slightly larger capable solenoid? I remember the code being deep for the iscv .. I thought it could not flow enough air.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Sep 12, 2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1874083

My user name there is dubstar112, my ouster name here is that reversed, seeing as how I'm on the wrong side now lol
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
A couple thoughts cross my mind:

1) Might be possible to use the ISCV for air bypass into the intake manifold. Not sure if it opens and closes fast enough though.
2) The brake booster vacuum line could provide a source of bypass air injection into the intake manifold. Might make the brakes somewhat ineffective though. Are there any other big inputs on the intake manifold?
3) I do like the idea of an exhaust manifold air injection system. The GTSpec exhaust manifold has the factory SAS fittings on them, and they do feed into the exhaust pipes, so that's an option.

What solenoid to use to feed #2 and #3? Seems like a fairly high flow valve is needed. A solenoid-controlled diverter valve sounds cool, but it would need vacuum, and isn't the IM under boost during antilag?
for anyone using bigger rocker cover fittings to catch can and blanked the pcv pipe that goes into the side of the inlet manifold, could be a solution for adding bypass air

theres a vacuum canister mounted on the bracket inlet manifold to eng used for als so even though the inlet manifold is in boost the canister holds vacuum to operate als valve
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
For you guys stateside wanting to get into ALS, I strongly suggest you move over to either the ADM ROM 88580013/14 or the JDM 89280002 ROM.
Both have working Secondary Air System and are well defined.
The 88580013/14 does have a rear O2 sensor (bad point) while the 89280002 ROM has just the front O2 sensor and I think no EGR (++ here) and also it has a minimal set of emission rubbish to complicate the tuning etc.

You will need a vacume canister of some sort as todd6027 has refered to. Its not particularly large, about 4"x3". There are aftermarket exhaust manifolds with the banjo-bolt ports in-place. Stainless convoluted piping is available in suitable sizes (SPEEDFLOW is one supplier) and ther is no lack of creative engineering talent in the states - go for it!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin.oz
For you guys stateside wanting to get into ALS, I strongly suggest you move over to either the ADM ROM 88580013/14 or the JDM 89280002 ROM.
Both have working Secondary Air System and are well defined.
The 88580013/14 does have a rear O2 sensor (bad point) while the 89280002 ROM has just the front O2 sensor and I think no EGR (++ here) and also it has a minimal set of emission rubbish to complicate the tuning etc.

You will need a vacume canister of some sort as todd6027 has refered to. Its not particularly large, about 4"x3". There are aftermarket exhaust manifolds with the banjo-bolt ports in-place. Stainless convoluted piping is available in suitable sizes (SPEEDFLOW is one supplier) and ther is no lack of creative engineering talent in the states - go for it!
+1.

8858 does have rear O2 but tephra v7 has simulator and it can be totally removed by taking care of heater code. EGR can be disabled from 103d and then setting periphery FCA bit 15 to disable code due that EGR solenoid not working as EGR is disabled. This is how I have done it and it works fine, ALS hardware not installed yet though. 89280002 would be nice option if there only was tephra v7 for that.

Quick Reply: General non-information about factory ALS