Notices
ECU Flash

Evo VIII ecu to power a 3SGTE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VIII ecu to power a 3SGTE

I have heard of people using honda ecu's on other vehicles. I have heard of people putting the Evo VIII ecu in the first and second gen eclipse.

What Im going to attempt is using an Evo VIII ecu to power a gen4 3SGTE. The engines are very similar, both are two liter and turbo charged. I have a mild build and I do not plan to make big power. So buying a full standalone would not be worth it to me.

I have the pin out for both ecu's so the wiring shouldn't be too bad.The intake air temp sensor and map sensor already have patches for GM sensors. All the other miscellaneous sensors can be swapped for evo counterparts worse case. But I do not know what im going to do about the crank and cam sensors.

I already have crank and cam sensors because it came factory coil on plug. Is there a way to modify what the ecu is looking for as far as teeth on the trigger?

Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe there is a mega squirt option for the 3s. Fairly cheap and great tech support
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Uh. I woudn't suggest that at all. The reason people put evo ecus in dsm is that its the SAME motor. Not similar. The problems you are going to run into greatly outweigh the cost of just doing it right. IMO get a ECU meant for your car. GL
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Essentially you just need to solve the crank/cam trigger problem.
A possible way to do this is get the cam sensor from an Evo1-2-3, or from a similar vintage Galant 4g63, and get the optical disk and sensor into the Toyota cam assembly.
After that it should just work an away you go!
Is it possible? No idea, but .........
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:36 AM

mega squirt is pricey when you get the option for coil on plug. I can get an evo ecu for $150, there isnt very many options for the gen4 3sgte that are even close. I suppose i will gather the parts and give it a try. Even if im unsuccessful I can sell off all the parts.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
OP, please keep this thread updated with your results (be it success or failure). I'm very interested to see how this plays out.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember that to get it functional so you can do what you want, which I assume is to re-flash, you have to make sure all the OBDII wiring is the same, and you transfer over the Mitsubishi ground enable.

On OBDII (I forget specifically how many) there are OBDII specific pins and manufacturer specific pins. If that part is not setup right, you won't be able to enable flashing.

For crank and cam sensors, the spacing between teeth, how many teeth, etc. have to be accounted for. You're going to need a scope and graphing multimeter to match the signals so you can modify either the computer to accept the toyota signal or the spacing physically to match what the EVO ecu wants.

best of luck.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:51 AM

I have a spare engine i can put on a stand to do all my testing on. Im pretty sure the sensors send the same signal, it will just come down to the number of teeth. The Evo crank trigger is like $13 from the dealer. I will prolly need the Evo knock sensor im sure the frequency will not be the same.

I Will be making a patch harness so i can plug my old ecu in if i fail. The wiring of the OBD shouldn't be too bad. Nothing a trip to the local salvage yard could fix.

The only reason im attempting this is because of cost. The ecu can be had for $85-150, most of the sensors i can get for cheap or free. Plus my friend has an evo so i can try stuff with out buying it.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Keep this rolling, I have a 94 mr2 with a beams swap and have been kicking around the idea of a gen 4 3s for awhile.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just swap in a 4G63 and get rid of the inferior 3SGTE, but that's just me.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:20 PM

Use a 1g cam sensor.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Get a complete engine loom from a wrecked evo8 with MAF and coolant sensor and injectors.

The 1g cam sensor sounds the right idea for the US.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by boosted91t
Keep this rolling, I have a 94 mr2 with a beams swap and have been kicking around the idea of a gen 4 3s for awhile.
I think there's a PFC for that.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by nightwalker
For crank and cam sensors, the spacing between teeth, how many teeth, etc. have to be accounted for. You're going to need a scope and graphing multimeter to match the signals so you can modify either the computer to accept the toyota signal or the spacing physically to match what the EVO ecu wants.

best of luck.
Is there a way to modify the computer to accept the toyota signal much like a stand alone? Or is that not yet been discovered?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have thought of doing this also. Hope you update us on your progress.

Quick Reply: Evo VIII ecu to power a 3SGTE