Notices
ECU Flash

my first evo, ecuflash/ evoscan help.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my first evo, ecuflash/ evoscan help.

I just bought an 04 evo8. It has 750cc injectors so I knew it has been played with. I bought the 1.3u cable and software. I have an extensive DSM/ dsmlink background.
I want to see what the previous owner did to the ecu, i purchased it from a dealer. installed all the software, ecuflash, and evoscan, then plugged in the cable and installed the drivers for it. connected the cable to the car and put the key in the on position. i am able to pull the rom from the ecu and save it. However, when I click on the fuel drop down, ecuflash crashes... On a side note, I cant get evoscan to connect either.
I already miss dsmlink.. anoyone have any ideas?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 03:21 PM

update... when i try to load the saved rom i got from my ecu it crashes ecuflash. but when i remove the 96530006.xml from the rommetadata folder, instead of crashing, it gives me the "unknown ROM image" message with options to define from scratch, inherit from below (with dropdown) and copied from below... any advice?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the ECU needs more volts to flash then to read. what i normally do is run the car for a couple min and then flash. i also make sure all interior light and stereo are off so no additional drain on battery while flashing.

when it crashes, does it give an error message or just close? same with evoscan, any error?

if ecuflash just closes, then there is an issue with the XML definitions. try reading the ECU, save the read ROM, close EcuFlash and reopen. once open, try open the read ROM that you saved. if it crashes/closes again, then definitely an XML issue.

As for EvoScan, i normally get an error to the lines of 'not able to read ECU, try another cable'. i just unplug the cable and plug it back in to resolve. appears to be a driver issue i get at times.

hope this helps.

cheers
Old Apr 5, 2012, 04:38 PM

It crashes, it is an XML issue
so the default 96530006.xml file contains "<include>evo7base20081011</include>".
if i change that to include the "evo7base" instead, then it opens. but I don't think all of the options are there. Is there another set of XML's for the 96530006 or evo7base20081011 that I can reference? i am using the ones that came with ecuflash 1.42.3252.

I am also open to flashing to a different ROM from what I have now provided i receive a little guidance.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you mess with the rom files? change any code delte add on or move?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Try the tehpramod rom definitions and XMLs. It could be that the previous owner was rocking that.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hramod-v7.html

Also, just to double check: im assuminb you are placing these files in the ecuflash/romdata/mitsu/evo folder, correct?

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 5, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:00 AM

I hadn't changed any of the rom's or xml's.. it was a straight install.

I'll look into those roms and XML's. And yes, that's the location i was using for the xml files as defined in the options of ecuflash.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:37 AM

Looks like he was using tephra v5.1 I added the xml edits for 5.1 and it opens, but it crashes when i scroll down the mods list. I removed the code:

<table name="Airflow/Hz Baro and Air Temp Compensation" address="3351">
<table name="IAT_Comp/Baro_Bar" address="678e"/>
<table name="MAF Hz" address="67d4"/>
</table>

from the xml file after I added the 5.1 edits, now it works correctly.
New question, what did I remove?, and what was wrong with it that made it consistently crash?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silent_white
Looks like he was using tephra v5.1 I added the xml edits for 5.1 and it opens, but it crashes when i scroll down the mods list. I removed the code:

<table name="Airflow/Hz Baro and Air Temp Compensation" address="3351">
<table name="IAT_Comp/Baro_Bar" address="678e"/>
<table name="MAF Hz" address="67d4"/>
</table>

from the xml file after I added the 5.1 edits, now it works correctly.
New question, what did I remove?, and what was wrong with it that made it consistently crash?
To be honest, I don't know. If I had to guess, it'd be some reference to either you MAF, map sensor, or both. Appears to be a reference to barometric pressure and temperature compensation. Don't trust my answer though. It certainly requires a second perspective.