Notices
ECU Flash

Knock Sensitivity?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock Sensitivity?

Is there any way to modify it with Tephra V7? I see the knock settings about 3/4 the way down but not exactly understanding it. But I do know that I'm Achieving a high score in Phantom KnockSum and its not a good thing. No lifter tick, well non at more than idle oil pressure, nothing hitting the knock sensor or whatever.... Plus the way its knocking is just strange.

Its completely random but I'll use my 25 minute old Log I just did. I did a pull through two gears, in the log the max you see is one count of Knock, 82% IDC, 7200rpm, Operating Temp, 91 octane.... And awesome AFR's. I mean WOT during these pulls I was looking at 11.7.... 11.2...11.5. Then I slow down, turn into my neighborhood and put my foot into it to 42% Throttle but under no load of any kind really since I'm soo low of RPM and speed and around 2500-3500 I throw down 21 count of knock, then turn the last turn on my street and pull a 13 count of knock. All low rpm and hardly any throttle and speed.

So, I don't really know wtf is going on, I'm about to eliminate the Knock Sensor right now but don't wanna go that stupid. I'd like to get those 21 counts of knock down to like 3.... 5... I'm tired of daily driving the CEL is flashing up a storm when I'm not doing **** to give it a reason to knock.

Sorry for my cool story bro. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

Is there any way to modify it with Tephra V7?
there are knock multiplier tables there, Low, Mid and High. for rpm ranges accordingly. don't remember exactly but something like Low till 2500 rpm, Mid 2500-5500, High 5500-up

rising values in that tables lowers knock sensor sensitivity. try rising low and maby mid too by 10% at first and see what happens. but first you have to make sure that it is phantom and not the real knock
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:57 AM

Well real knock would be caused by variables that aren't a factor on my motor. ****ty fuel, lean AFR, bad lifter and usually under boost. Never under no to little load and in the dumbest times. My setup has never knocked this bad before. Sure a couple counts of knock here and there, random. But this is outrageous. Like I said earlier, it practically knocked 13 to 21 count pulling into my neighborhood street at speeds that wasn't even registering on the speedo.

My guess is either the Evo ECU is setup differently than the DSM's or the Evo knock sensor is less sensitive so therefore the ECU has to look harder and now its on a more sensitive knock sensor and trippin *****. OR, the knock sensor is bad.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm very close to removing the entire knock sensing circuit altogether.

Consider it worthless once you start modifying
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:40 PM

I'm scared to go that far. But at the same time, I have a Digital WB. And the Knock sensor is only there to save the motor from running too lean right.... Which I can do myself by making sure my tune and what not.

How would you remove the entire Knock Circuit? You don't just unplug it do you? I was thinking about just copying my normal tune to the low octane tune.

I'm just getting tired of the Knock Sensor. Cause it really doesn't seem like its doing anything except screwing my **** up! lol. Right now the car will be ***** to the wall neck breaking fast... then when it counts the car will spit and sputter because it threw it into the safe tune due to knock.

Also, like the other guy was saying, about increasing by 10%.... How? I went into the area you specified, and did Alt=] which is supposed to increase by 1%, 10 times. But nothing changed. The rom didn't star up to signal a change has been made and is unsaved like it normally does. I clicked it a ton of times and nada. Not sure if that works or not... I can change it one step at a time, like low rpm is like 6 or something, I can press ] and make it say 7....
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
I'm very close to removing the entire knock sensing circuit altogether.

Consider it worthless once you start modifying
Like? A built block that is noisy ?

Op please post your ignition maps..... And have you tried using a set of det cans to listen for engine noise?

Also have you logged tip-in afr's?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by b16a2delsol
Op please post your ignition maps..... And have you tried using a set of det cans to listen for engine noise?

Also have you logged tip-in afr's?
No and No. First, think maybe that my engine is old that its making more engine noise internally? The engine sounds physically quiet outside.

Second, IDK what tip-in is.

My Fuel and Ignition Maps are stock Evo8 Tephra V7 currently. The only changes i've made to the Tephra V7 is for the 2g MAF. And the Force Emissions Pass which I'm no longer set to anymore. Oh and changed the Injector Scaling from 513 to 562.

I have another rom built off of the V7 but tuned by someone I know which never knocked before and it knocks the same now, and actually the stock Evo8 maps seem to work better for me. Great AFR's, tons of power.

The only times my car is running lean is when I'm coasting lol. When I'm driving normal daily the AFR's are around 14.5-14.9.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

So your basically not tuned for your setup. That's your problem.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you install an Evo 8 knock sensor on your DSM? The Evo 8 knock sensor is required for the Evo 8 ECU mod since they ARE different knock sensors.

The knock sensor isn't there to just for lean fuel conditions. It's for knock, lol. You can get knock from running too rich as well. First, how did you 'confirm' this was false knock again?

-Jamie
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
Did you install an Evo 8 knock sensor on your DSM? The Evo 8 knock sensor is required for the Evo 8 ECU mod since they ARE different knock sensors.

The knock sensor isn't there to just for lean fuel conditions. It's for knock, lol. You can get knock from running too rich as well. First, how did you 'confirm' this was false knock again?

-Jamie
What I understood from the whole situation is he :

1- runnning the evo8 ecu in a dsm.
2- did not tune it for the setup he is running and just using the stock maps that come in Tephra Mods.
3- asking why it is knock at partial throttle and how to eliminate knock sensitivity.

OP, you have to get the car tuned for the setup your running and that alone with eliminate the knock counts your seeing. You cant just load some other rom and expect it too run flawlessly.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Also, are you running an EGR setup with the Evo ECU? If not, your ECU is adding a ton more timing in the cruise areas than it may like.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is doing the same. Mine flash like crazy but not consistence. Sometime it blink fast n sometime slow at every gear. The fast one worry me. Can anybody help
Old May 1, 2012, 07:19 PM

my stock evo 9 does something like this at low tps, mid rpm with the egr removed. stock rom on tephra v7, forced pass. I really haven't yet gotten into tuning at all, just trying to figure out where to start before messing with anything. much research to do.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by volks-traitor
my stock evo 9 does something like this at low tps, mid rpm with the egr removed. stock rom on tephra v7, forced pass. I really haven't yet gotten into tuning at all, just trying to figure out where to start before messing with anything. much research to do.
Did you disable the EGR in the tune? More often than not, when the knock sensor is picking up knock...its real.

-Jamie
Old May 2, 2012, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by LGshow19
What I understood from the whole situation is he :

1- runnning the evo8 ecu in a dsm.
2- did not tune it for the setup he is running and just using the stock maps that come in Tephra Mods.
3- asking why it is knock at partial throttle and how to eliminate knock sensitivity.

OP, you have to get the car tuned for the setup your running and that alone with eliminate the knock counts your seeing. You cant just load some other rom and expect it too run flawlessly.
the car is tuned to my setup..... Which is identical to a stock Evo8. Evo Injectors, Turbo with a 2g dsm maf. And your post makes no sense if you bring up the other part of the situation.... this never happened before. It just randomly started up. During a Misfire issue I had which was bad spark wires and was fixed.

AFR's are Flawless, Car is tuned. Sure maybe some tweeks could be made to the tune itself but I am getting damn good gas mileage, car is very powerful at 17.5lbs. Car doesn't run to rich or too leak in any situation.

Also when a knock sensor picks up knock its real..... What if its picking up knock when the engine isn't knocking? Today the car knocked at idle! sitting at a light! Idle AFR's are 14.7...

But its whatever, I'm done trying to figure it out. My car isn't knocking. Just registering 'Phantom Knock'. Car runs flawless, better than ever and getting great gas mileage.

Thanks for help.

Quick Reply: Knock Sensitivity?