Notices
ECU Flash

New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a jdm doubledin mmcs evo 8.... wanted to install tablet in location with gauges.... thanks

what and where can I purchase required to get it to wrk......?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smurfz88
Thanks. Do you know (or are you able to share) what is missing from Nexus that is present on your original tab/Kindle/some samsung tablets?

I did spend a bit of time last night upgrading Nexus7 to 5.1.1 and rooting it. What's really holding me from buying a Kindle Fire (even though they seems to work well with evodroid), is that I'm not crafty and installing one of this to fit into a dual DIN slot may be tricky.

I wish someone made a generic table mount that slots into a DIN or double DIN slot..
Hey Smurfz,

I am actually using the nexus 7 and I am able to get everything to work. I am currently working on my template design but it connects, logs and charges. What i did was disable USB DEBUGGING and then jut plugged the cable in. My nexus is also rooted and is on 4.4.1 but hamish said it should work with android 5 too. let me know if you need anything.

I attached my default gauge setup and xml file for you. Its still a work in progress but for reference the nexus resolution is 1920X1104 because of the bottom on screen bar. I havent designed a vertical template yet because I dont use the tablet that way.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Archive.zip (967.3 KB, 0 views)
Old Feb 15, 2016, 01:28 PM

Hi xexitenglishx,

Thanks heaps!! I didn't even try installing it until I saw your post. I was spending time looking at what other options that I have (eg double DIN android head unit).

I've just installed 1.02 on it, it boots up OK. I have an older generation Nexus 7, so I need to make a new template. The older one had 1280x736 screen. I will boot up my old windows VM tonight to work on the templates.

But overall, it's pretty good news. I'm still interested in getting a double DIN unit (eg one from Pumpkinaudio). Have it rooted, and try to run evodroid on it.

I will still report back with the results with my nexus7 for reference for others.

[Update] I still have the IOIO issue.. I will try a few more things.
[Update2] IOIO issue is now fixed with 1.03. It's connected and receiving data! Confirmed working with the older nexus 7 as well.

Last edited by smurfz88; Feb 16, 2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

ok. Also try to get 1.03 from hamish. I dont know if that may help. he is also working on updating the apk so that it will autoscale to the correct resolution which would make things so much easier!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 01:04 PM

@xexitenglishx, thanks heaps!! It's fixed it.

Rejoice Nexus 7 users! It seems that with version 1.03, both versions of Nexus 7 works. I'm running the older one with rooted 5.1.1 (USBDebugging turned off).

I've attached the template that I use (very basic).
Also, evodroid seems to look for carbon1 template. If so, rename these files to:
1280x736_Carbon1.txt
1280x736_Carbon1.png

Now that's working, I have just placed an order for a Autopumpkin 2DIN unit. Once it arrives, I will test it and report back.

[Update]
I have had the autopumpkin 2DIN android unit for a while, I haven't spent too much time on it. But the unit has two USB ports (I'm guessing powered OTG). When I connect the 1.3DA cable (or OpenPort 2.0), it doesn't seem to think anything is connected. Need to troubleshoot further. Will update if I make further progress.
Attached Thumbnails New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review-1280x736_black01.png  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
1280x736_black01.txt (686 Bytes, 0 views)

Last edited by smurfz88; Jul 14, 2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Progress update
Old Feb 19, 2016, 06:37 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfz88
@xexitenglishx, thanks heaps!! It's fixed it.

Rejoice Nexus 7 users! It seems that with version 1.03, both versions of Nexus 7 works. I'm running the older one with rooted 5.1.1 (USBDebugging turned off).

I've attached the template that I use (very basic).
Also, evodroid seems to look for carbon1 template. If so, rename these files to:
1280x736_Carbon1.txt
1280x736_Carbon1.png

Now that's working, I have just placed an order for a Autopumpkin 2DIN unit. Once it arrives, I will test it and report back.
yep, and just open the 1280x736_Carbon1.txt file with notepad and edit this line to this, and this template will work.
BackgroundImage,1280x736_Carbon1.png

It seems Nexus and the new 5.1.1 Kindle Fire HD8 (the older Kindle FireHD7 is no longer for sale by Amazon) have the same resolution now, which is 1280x736

I originally didn't like the idea of scaling images while datalogging because it used to take performance and image quality away from the more important datalogging duties. But I must say, this year's 2016 generation tablets have INSANE amounts of spare scaling power and smooth quality. Also the evoscan app now loads in something like 0.1 seconds, i can't even see my loading splash screen anymore. Datalogging speeds are also creeping up too as the android hardware gets faster. The next version will have auto screen scaling abilities for the templates.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Thats awesome Hamish! Thanks for your hard work. With screen scaling I think you should make a section on your website the would allow evodroid owners to share various templates. Maybe keep it in a members only section of the site.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Hamish, could evoscan ppc (old version) or evodroid read AEM Infinity CAN protocol with OP 2.0?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 01:15 PM

Hamish, Been trying to contact you for some help with the Evodroid8. It wont seem to connect to my ECU. Ive been trying to mess with it but cant seem to get it to work. says successful connection but still isnt showing any live data on the gauge. opened a help ticket and emailed to evodroid@evoscan.
Old May 2, 2016, 07:41 PM

help

I am just looking to install a tablet or screen just to show a gtr type layout from evoscan....

can someone pls point me in right direction....
I'm not looking to reflash or anything thanks
Old May 3, 2016, 07:00 AM

Bump for 2 months with an inoperable evodroid
Old May 12, 2016, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FazdaGTZ
Hamish, Been trying to contact you for some help with the Evodroid8. It wont seem to connect to my ECU. Ive been trying to mess with it but cant seem to get it to work. says successful connection but still isnt showing any live data on the gauge. opened a help ticket and emailed to evodroid@evoscan.

How do you have an evodroid8? They aren't even up for sale on the site, nor have i been emailed about their availability yet.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I was using my Kindle Fire HD 6 to run the Evoscan app. I updated the Kindle OS and Evoscan stopped working (IOIO error). Then I tried install the previous OS back, but my Kindle has bricked.

So I tried to install the Evoscan in my Galaxy Note 4, but it couldn't connect to the vehicle ECU. Luckly I had a Galaxy S3 that I didn't use anymore. I installed the app in the S3 and it is working perfectly.
Old May 26, 2016, 01:09 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
apparently google is going to be extending android support to the raspberry pi 3. It would be really cool to get evoscan working on that and have it be the center piece of a carpc / infotainment system. A little background the raspberry pi 3 is a $35 dollar ARM based single board computer with built in wifi and bluetooth and GPIO capabilities. You could have it drive physical gauges with data gathered through evoscan.
Old May 26, 2016, 04:57 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
apparently google is going to be extending android support to the raspberry pi 3. It would be really cool to get evoscan working on that and have it be the center piece of a carpc / infotainment system. A little background the raspberry pi 3 is a $35 dollar ARM based single board computer with built in wifi and bluetooth and GPIO capabilities. You could have it drive physical gauges with data gathered through evoscan.
if you can show me a RPi3 that has a touchscreen as good as Amazon Kindle FireHD, for less than $200, let me know. I have never seen one. I don't ever expect rpi3 to be any good. rpi2/rpi3 is overpriced for what it is.

Quick Reply: New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review