Notices
ECU Flash

Flashing an Airtrek Turbo

Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by limaynard
stock boost is around 0.8 bar.

I have fitted a tactrix 3 port BCS, seems to work fine although I am having problems controlling boost withnthe new turbo.

Old turbo was boosting around 14psi with the 3 port and standard BOV. i suspect that the old BOV was leaking and that was what was controlling max boost!

The new turbo and evo BOV is boosting 20 psi before it blows the intercooler joiner off!

I have adjusted the WGDC down to zero, expecting that this would drop boost to 9psi as this is the wasegate actuator spring value but it over boosted again and blew off the intercooler pipe (the silicone joiner is too short)

So, I have looked at the tables and have drop boost desired engine load, boost limit, boost offset etc. back to stock as the baseline WGDC was being corrected by my BDEL+offset being too high (I think)

Anyway if this works and I can get boost down to 9psi I can tune it ack up to something reasonable.

The 19t shouldn't have any more lag, I think, as the turbine is the samevsize, only the compressor is bigger so it should flow more air at the same boost level with no more lag.

As soon as I have it sorted I will let you know...
The standard bov will be leaking at that boost.

I've never put a 3 port in my car or tested the tables. When I got my Airtrek the base maps were so screwed up it took me over a year to get them sorted and find the items I needed to get rid of the boost and fuel cuts etc after fitting the TD05, so just stuck with the MBC that had been working fine for all that time. I am running a 3 port in my Evo, but have only needed to touch the Wastegate duty.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Greg, thanks. You seem to be confirming what I suspect, that I was deluding myself that I was controlling boost through WGDC when in fact it was the plastic stock BOV that was leaking above 14psi.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it to get it all sorted properly until I can log boost and AFR properly and until my Evodroid arrives I have no way of logging from my new WBO2 and my 3 bar MAP sensor (Hamish - if you happen to read this...)

Once I have this I can get it sorted. Until then I will have to drive the RX8.

I may just connect from compressor outlet to wastegate actuator to drop boost to 9 psi, if I can't get it roughly right by guesswork, until Evodroid arrives. At least this will flush put anything such as stuck wastegate / dodgy actuator although on a new turbo this should not be the case.

I also fitted the Apexi cone filter at the same time, I should know better - always replace 1 thing at a time.

There is a whizzing noise as the boost comes on, not too loud but I am not sure whether it is the turbo spooling or the air filter sucking hard.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any of you guys have any idea on adjusting the shift maps for the Airtrek.

Its very annoying when the car shifts to 5th gear at 60km/h. Its makes the car feel as if it has a puny 1300cc (maybe lower). I am driving in sports mode most of the time as the Automatic mode sucks big time.

I have tinkered in the HEX file for the ECU and I saw that there are some parameters to tune the auto-transmission. Anyone knows where and what needs to be done to fix this issue?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, I did it and put it back to stock as it was too aggressive.

I had the same frustration as you but decided to live with it and use tiptronic mode...

Tomorrow I will add some instructions but you need the correct definition file..

PM GregM - for a small donation he can send you an excellent definition file, much better than you will get elsewhere.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:10 AM

I'm actually using Greg's definition file at the moment. Contacted him a couple of weeks ago for the XML file. Too aggressive? What do you mean by that?

Sorry, kind of a newbie at tinkering with the Airtrek. Just had the car for barely 2 months but I see the ECU tuning is rubbish and the car is so under-powered. Some drastic tuning / changes have to be done.

Last edited by thesyko; Mar 18, 2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

It felt like I was racing it all of the time.

Maybe I didn't give meyself long enough to adjust
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

The tables to adjust AT change speeds are the Shift Map tables.

Shift Map 1-1 = shift from 1-2
Shift Map 2-1 = shift from 2-3
Shift Map 3-1 = shift from 3-4
Shift Map 4-1 = shift from 4-5
Shift Map 5-1 = shift from 5-4
Shift Map 6-1 = shift from 4-3
Shift Map 7-1 = shift from 3-2
Shift Map 8-1 = shift from 2-1

The values are KM/H and you can adjust speed based on load..

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by limaynard
The tables to adjust AT change speeds are the Shift Map tables.

Shift Map 1-1 = shift from 1-2
Shift Map 2-1 = shift from 2-3
Shift Map 3-1 = shift from 3-4
Shift Map 4-1 = shift from 4-5
Shift Map 5-1 = shift from 5-4
Shift Map 6-1 = shift from 4-3
Shift Map 7-1 = shift from 3-2
Shift Map 8-1 = shift from 2-1

The values are KM/H and you can adjust speed based on load..

Hope this helps.
The weird thing is that its changing from 4th to 5th at 60 KM/h and I don't see a 60KM/h anywhere in the Shift Map 4-1.

Btw does altering the Thermo Fan Duty maps lower down the engine temp?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

The values are not 100% accurate and the map will interpolate, so if engine load (as defined by voltage at ECU is between 1.72 and 1.88 volts then it will change at around 60km/h. You need to adjust by trial and error.

Attached is what I was running for a while...

Not sure about thermo fan duty, I thought the same myself but as I am not having issues I didn't look at it..
Attached Thumbnails Flashing an Airtrek Turbo-untitled.jpg  
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Note, that 5-1 onwards are the wrong way around. 5-1 = 2-1 etc.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What I have found is the number in those maps doesn't not reflect the actual speed. I have done some very limit testing and found that the speed is not accurate for the Airtrek Drive ratio, but the Evo one, so take the speed divide by 3.3 and mutiply by 4.53 and you get the correct speed. It maybe the other way around, but you get the idea hopefully.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Still blowing intercooler joiners off. The stainless pipes don't have any give and so the silicone joiners keep blowing. I have detuned boost a lot but will do it some more to keep the hoses on!

I think with the 19t turbo the airflow may be too high at the same boost level for the top mounted intercooler.Just a theory.

I have ordered new t-clamps to replace the stock clamps that I cannot seem to tighten enough.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:09 AM

Anyway, does anyone of you guys know the correct viscosity and quantity for the following lub / oil for an Airtrek turbo?

1) Engine Oil
2) ATF (transmission)
3) Center differential
4) Rear differential
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

No idea, I do all my own mods but always get someone else to do the oily stuff...

Google is your friend
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Anyone got xml for 83540001

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flashing an Airtrek Turbo