Notices
ECU Flash

A (probably) easier method to connect LM-2 to EvoScan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A (probably) easier method to connect LM-2 to EvoScan

some are using LM-2 to log AFR, for being portable, but EvoScan doesn't support LM-2, yet

there are many discussions about how to make LM-2 work with EvoScan, and we know that the key point is like:

LM-2 -> serial out -> serial to USB -> PC -> in EvoScan as LC-1

to do that, you need two cables from Innovate:

1. LM-2 Serial 2.5mm Patch Cable - P/N: 3812 - #3812
2. Serial Program Cable (Stereo 2.5mm) - P/N: 3746 - #3746

One female-female 2.5mm adaptor (if you can find it)

and one USB to Serial cable/adaptor

That's a hell of 3 cables and one adaptor, goossh ...

but the theory is simple, the Innovate serial protocol uses only two signal wires (RXD and TXD) and one ground, and this is why it can be carried through a stereo headphone jack (left, right and ground).

and i found something like this:

this costs me about $3. do an ebay search for 'USB RS232' then you will find heaps, but make sure you select 'Electrical & Test Equipment' in the Categories, that's it:

there are other types with a same function but more sophistication, and (arguably) more precision and reliability:

we can still use the 'LM-2 Serial 2.5mm Patch Cable' (or you can just wire the serial out port, there are only four points: data in/out, two grounds), pull apart the stereo plug, find the three wires, put the wires into the pins at the back of that adapter, install USB-to-Serial drivers on your PC --- then start logging with EvoScan.

we end up with one neat and tidy adapter cable from LM-2 to PC directly.

i should get my USB-to-RS232 adapter tomorrow to test and verify this.

Tested and it is working!

Now that's what the cable looks like:

There are four wires in the Innovate 'LM-2 Serial 2.5mm Patch Cable', blue+black goes to ground, white goes to RX, red goes to TX.

And it's working perfectly with EvoScan now!
Attached Thumbnails A (probably) easier method to connect LM-2 to EvoScan-usb-rs232_ebay.jpg   A (probably) easier method to connect LM-2 to EvoScan-usb-rs232_ebay_big.jpg   A (probably) easier method to connect LM-2 to EvoScan-img_1218.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Evorange; Mar 6, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:24 PM

Confirmed working, and will send a few more pics of working in the car later
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:46 PM

Very good write up man. Looked for a while till i found this
Old May 29, 2014, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for the thread revival.

Can anyone else confirm this method is working with EvoScan? The threads I find come up inconclusive except this one. However, only the OP confirms it works. That's not a good sign. A few other threads recommend the above how to also without conclusion.

Interesting, some use this as a permanent install. I want to use this for customers who don't have a WB. Is there another standalone solution that reads in EvoScan? Ideally I'd like it to plug into the cigarette lighter, plug into the laptop and sensor is in the exhaust tip via a clamp. The LM-2 shows promise of this, but doesn't look to be able to be recognized in EvoScan.

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2014, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

I had an LM-2, it was crap. Error, error, error, and couldn't even read RPM off a coil/distributor properly. Avoid.

It would not connect to my 2000 Saturn or my wife's 2004 Cavalier as an OBD2 scanner either, but my $10 chinabay adapter would. Just check the innovate forums, all you'll see are posts of problems.

Last edited by Broke4speed; May 29, 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 01:43 AM

I tried exactly as the OP suggests about a year ago and still nothin. Kinda **** cause I wanna see the log with afr, timing ect.

Cant believe they havent made it compatible :/
Old Jun 7, 2014, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use the Programming cable #3840 plugged in to the LM2, and a serial-to-usb plugged in to that serial connector.
sorted. Log AFRs in to evoscan and plug your tactrix in another usb port.
Select LC1 in evoscan.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Beeble
Use the Programming cable #3840 plugged in to the LM2, and a serial-to-usb plugged in to that serial connector.
sorted. Log AFRs in to evoscan and plug your tactrix in another usb port.
Select LC1 in evoscan.
Thanks for chiming in Beeble. I see you tune a lot of Evo X's. Do you use the LM2? I would like to have these for my customers so they don't have to have a WB if they don't want one.

My first customer today had a Prosport WB and it seemed to read fine, but I'd love to have something to compare it to.

My 2nd customer (remotely) today has the LM2 and says it reads in Evoscan the same as what's on the LM2 screen. However, it felt like when I tried to lean out idle from 12 AFR to 14.7 it wouldn't idle on it's own but would when it read rich. That's why I inquired if his WB was reading correctly.

Name:  IMG_20140608_171248_zps8d2b5dad.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  59.0 KB

The 3840 cable doesn't appear to come with the LM2. It looks like it comes with a USB cable. Luckily it's only $15.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah you need to buy the cable separately.
The LM2 is a PITA for me. if I leave it on for more than 10min it gives me a heater error code. so I pretty much turn it on for a few runs and then turn it off while i'm playing with the maps... turn it on again when i'm ready to log again.
In the tailpipe it reads all over the place at idle so I wouldn't rely on it. even at cruise it is a bit all over the place with larger diameter exhausts.
At WOT I trust it - and yes I use this for anyone who doesn't have their own loggable WB installed.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

I also have been using an LM-2 to tune 2-5 cars a week for ~2 years.
Cammed cars will never read correctly at the tail pipe due to oxygen being sucked back in the exhaust on overlap.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks from the guys down under, Beeble and Benja. I ordered my LM-2 today with the 3840 cord and the tail pipe adapter.

Just yesterday a customer comes in to get tuned and he didn't have a WB installed. I just assumed he had one, but now I won't have to worry about that problem anymore.

Although a nice to have, I probably don't need it for idle or cruise as I can tune with the o2 sensor and fuel trims. It'll mainly be for the WOT. Unless I do FT OL, then I'll just plug it into the rear o2 sensor bung.

I just realized as I'm typing this that I probably should have gotten the 18 ft sensor cable #3828. Do you guys use this when running the sensor to the tail pipe?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
basically i just order 3840 this part and connect to my laptop (run evoscan 2.9) , i can read my wideband lm2 ???
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes I run the 18 foot sensor cable.

Dont crimp it through the trunk, the cable can get damaged this way - from experience.
These days I just gently lower the trunk and hold it shut with race tape.
Old May 11, 2015, 04:09 AM

Do u any of u guys have a pin-out diagram from the molex 4-pin to a db9 9-pin serial connector? I need to know which pin out from the LM2 goes to the serial port..
Attached Thumbnails A (probably) easier method to connect LM-2 to EvoScan-image.jpg  
Old May 12, 2015, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I skipped all this. I have a Zeitronix ZT-2, but its probably similar. I wired the "linear wideband output" into the OEM rear O2 input on the ECU, changed the formula in evoscan to "AFR= 2 * V + 9.6" per their website, and log it through there. Super easy, and works like a charm.

Obviously this may not always be an option if you're a tuner, and your tuning many different peoples' cars. But I think it would be silly not to do this on your personal car..

Quick Reply: A (probably) easier method to connect LM-2 to EvoScan