Notices
ECU Flash

Newbie needing help with Knock and timing map

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needing help with Knock and timing map

I just bought a 03 viii and just did some logging to it. It has a Tephramod and it was flashing for knock so i decided to do some logging.

I'm still trying to get the lc1 working.

Did log confirmed the knocking. It 3600 to 4100 it has a knocksum of 2 to 1 but as soon as it turns 5000 it jumps from 0 to 7 in the knocksum! It starts going down and by 7000 is back to 1.

Attached i've included the log file. I'm looking for some guidance.
Attached Files

Last edited by yositoco; Mar 9, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:14 PM

attached the rom
Attached Files
File Type: hex
ROM Original.hex (256.0 KB, 0 views)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 08:04 PM

Attached a pic of my timing map. From what i gather it needs some work. Also did an oil and spark plug change today.

Car has HKS 272s
Evolution 680 or 780 (thinking the latency might need some work to)
forge diverter valve
fp white rabbit or early green
turbo back exhaust

Im hoping somebody chimes in soon.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What octane are you running? Your timing map looks a little low to me. As for high rpm knocksum, try decreasing timing 1-2* in appropriate area and make a smooth transition between cells. Check your wideband reading, make sure you are not too lean. Decrease boost if you have to run too low timing. Check your EGT.

Smoothen up the 1500-3000rpm 160-300 load and flatten that spike in timing.

Your timing should be lowest at peak torque ~3750rpm 250load in your case and than slowly ramp up with rpm. All transitions between cells should be smooth.

Use "Let's see your fully tuned timing maps" thread as a reference, how a tuned map should look like. Do NOT copy somebody's map blindly, use it as a reference only.

Your afr map looks a little wierd too. Are you sure your injectors are scaled correctly?

And you should definately use the latest Tephra V7 ROMs. It makes tuning so much more convenient.

Last edited by Biggy VIII; Mar 10, 2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Peak load should be lowest timing if I may. Which peak torque follows shortly but your ramp will follow suit. Some hold timing from pk ld to tq to save the bottom end

Scrap that 11000 rpm scale too. Make it 9000 or 8750 makes graph viewing eadier

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Mar 10, 2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Biggy VIII
What octane are you running? Your timing map looks a little low to me. As for high rpm knocksum, try decreasing timing 1-2* in appropriate area and make a smooth transition between cells. Check your wideband reading, make sure you are not too lean. Decrease boost if you have to run too low timing. Check your EGT.

Smoothen up the 1500-3000rpm 160-300 load and flatten that spike in timing.

Your timing should be lowest at peak torque ~3750rpm 250load in your case and than slowly ramp up with rpm. All transitions between cells should be smooth.

Use "Let's see your fully tuned timing maps" thread as a reference, how a tuned map should look like. Do NOT copy somebody's map blindly, use it as a reference only.

Your afr map looks a little wierd too. Are you sure your injectors are scaled correctly?

And you should definately use the latest Tephra V7 ROMs. It makes tuning so much more convenient.
Thanks for the comments.

I'm using Shell 93.

Here are the Latency values which go in par with some pte 680 but the scaling doesn't. Scaling is 609 in my rom and the table show between 622 and 650.

Thanks for the input on the timing thread. I had already started looking at it and started making some adjustments to my map.

As far as the tephra i already downloaded the xml and rom and have started looking at the difference. It seems like there are a lot of differences and i have to do some more reading before I feel comfortable to translate my file.

Should I start with the injector scaling before moving to the timing plot?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, you should turn your boost down to the lowest level possible, flash a safe timing map and dial in injector scaling and latencies first.

If it is pte680, I would use similar latencies as a starting point and then adjust them and scale injectors so that your wideband would follow your off boost cruising area of the map(0-90 load) filled with "14.7" in open loop, and I could see minimum 10ish afr in the map and have 11ish at the wideband, at full boost. Of course if your leanspool function is off. Is it?

You can use either a wideband and open loop, or a stock lambda and trims in closed loop, for scaling injectors.

Last edited by Biggy VIII; Mar 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:32 PM

Yes, you should turn your boost down to the lowest level possible, flash a safe timing map and dial in injector scaling and latencies first.

If it is pte680, I would use similar latencies as a starting point and then adjust them and scale injectors so that your wideband would follow your off boost cruising area of the map(0-90 load) filled with "14.7" in open loop, and I could see minimum 10ish afr in the map and have 11ish at the wideband, at full boost. Of course if your leanspool function is off. Is it?

You can use either a wideband and open loop, or a stock lambda and trims in closed loop, for scaling injectors.
Lean Spool is set to start at 2,500 and stop at 7000.

It seems like i have to start fresh.

Last edited by yositoco; Mar 10, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yositoco
Lean Spool is set to start at 2,500 and stop at 7000.

It seams like i have to start fresh.
You may set Lean spool stop RPM to 2500 too. That would effectively disable lean spool. Watch your AFR as it will lean out about one whole point. After that you should scale your injectors and re tune the whole fuel map.

Disabling lean spool feature will give constant AFR from run to run in any gear.

I really advice you to use Tephra V7 rom and start fresh.

If you still want to do it yourself start from an article "How to tune an evo", and read the thread Important ECU Thread Links.

If you are not confident in yourself - the best way to do it is to trust your car to a professional tuner.

Last edited by Biggy VIII; Mar 10, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:37 PM

You may set Lean spool stop RPM to 2500 too. That would effectively disable lean spool. Watch your AFR as it will lean out about one whole point. After that you should scale your injectors and re tune the whole fuel map.

Disabling lean spool feature will give constant AFR from run to run in any gear.

I really advice you to use Tephra V7 rom and start fresh.

If you still want to do it yourself start from an article "How to tune an evo", and read the thread Important ECU Thread Links.

If you are not confident in yourself - the best way to do it is to trust your car to a professional tuner.
Thanks again for all the advice.

I have downloaded merlins how to tune pdf and been studying it. Is the thread a better source?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yositoco
Thanks again for all the advice.

I have downloaded merlins how to tune pdf and been studying it. Is the thread a better source?
You should study everything you will find here
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've attached a tephra v7 rom that will get you started. The timing is conservative (has better timing in cruise areas and smoother) based on a 91 tune with similar mods so you will have room to play with and the fuel map is leaned out quite a bit from the factory but still safe. You should be able to flash it and have a good starting point to where you can get the ball rolling.

First few things I would do is log your fuel trims and see if they're way off. Either do the external wideband setup or wire it directly to the ECU. If you can, try to find out what injectors you have and make sure you have the proper scaling, or edit them yourself as stated.

Also, what boost are you running? Do you have a MAP sensor?

Let me know how this works for you.
Attached Files
File Type: bin
yositoco-v7rom.bin (256.0 KB, 0 views)
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

You could also contact Tscompusa on here, I know some about tuning but I like that he tunes my car via email in one night and it has the most power it can produce with keeping safety in mind due to my stock toothpick rods lol.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by MercenaryX2
I've attached a tephra v7 rom that will get you started. The timing is conservative (has better timing in cruise areas and smoother) based on a 91 tune with similar mods so you will have room to play with and the fuel map is leaned out quite a bit from the factory but still safe. You should be able to flash it and have a good starting point to where you can get the ball rolling.

First few things I would do is log your fuel trims and see if they're way off. Either do the external wideband setup or wire it directly to the ECU. If you can, try to find out what injectors you have and make sure you have the proper scaling, or edit them yourself as stated.

Also, what boost are you running? Do you have a MAP sensor?

Let me know how this works for you.
Thanks a lot for the ROM. I will study it and try to understand it.

The injectors are the Buschur Evolution 680cc Injectors. Do you know if they are the same as the PTE?

I've already have the wideband conected and made another log with the wideband which is attached. As far as the MAP sensor I have the stock one so no boost for now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Log 0309.zip (3.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that log based on the rom I sent you or the one you uploaded here? Your AFR's are stupid lean for 91.

EDIT : Those injectors look like they're similar to PTE's so I would use the PTE 680 scaling and then look again at your LTFT's.

Last edited by MercenaryX2; Mar 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie needing help with Knock and timing map