Notices
ECU Flash

Cant read my rom

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant read my rom

I've been trying on and off for about 6 months to read my rom, but I can't figure it out.

I can datalog no problem with EvoScan, but ECU flash is a no go.

I did the test write on Evoscan and it worked fine. I even did P0300 test off on ecu flash and then the only way to flash it to the rim was evoscan. As far as I know it worked. I haven't seen it pop up.

I've uninstalled and installed it numerous of times. I also deleted the whole directory. And nothing. Of all the things I've read I haven't tried EcuFlash 1.29 or let the drivers update(which I just read prior to this). I figured since it reads in in EVOscan I don't need to download the drivers....

Please help me!! This is seriously frustrating...thanks
Old Oct 4, 2014, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

2 things.

1. ECU unlocker. Open it and leave it running in the background when you start the read.

2. Have the vehicle running when you start the read. It sounds suspect but the vehicle just shuts off and the read begins. This just ensures the voltage is at a good level for the read, evos are a bit finicky about minimum voltage for reading.

good luck
Old Oct 4, 2014, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
2 things.

1. ECU unlocker. Open it and leave it running in the background when you start the read.

2. Have the vehicle running when you start the read. It sounds suspect but the vehicle just shuts off and the read begins. This just ensures the voltage is at a good level for the read, evos are a bit finicky about minimum voltage for reading.

good luck

If the battery cant maintain voltage for a flash then starting the flash while the alternator is maintaining voltage isn't a good idea. You'll end up with a failed flash.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Neither one of those worked.

I opened the unlocker, let it run and no ago. started the car and tried still nothing.
I have almost 14volts of battery. still nothing

any other suggestions?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CammedEvo

If the battery cant maintain voltage for a flash then starting the flash while the alternator is maintaining voltage isn't a good idea. You'll end up with a failed flash.
I'm not sure what the required voltage to read/flash is but I'd imagine that the actual voltage required would be less than required to start the vehicle and that the threshold for read/flash is set much higher than it needs to be.

I and other users here have used this method with no ill effects.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flippymcbean
Neither one of those worked.

I opened the unlocker, let it run and no ago. started the car and tried still nothing.
I have almost 14volts of battery. still nothing

any other suggestions?
The only other solution I can think of is use Evoscan to read.

I was reading a friends JDM Evo 8 with tephra and for some reason ECUFlash just wouldn't play ball. Evoscan nailed it first try.

If you don't have any success I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Is the rom that's loaded into your car defined in your ecuflash metadata tables?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

I honestly don't know. When the log portion of ecuflash loads it's trying to read off of "evo_7base.xml". My rom(94170008) inherits that and I can only assume it should work, but it doesn't. I've tried replacing the information from the base/stock map info with the same file name. But it doesn't show up on evuflash any more.

I've updated my drivers, I've downloaded the current version, the 1.29 version a even the 1.44version.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
show us a screen shot of ecuflash error when you try read

and or try these
Attached Files
File Type: xml
94170008.xml (8.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: xml
evo7base.xml (26.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by todd6027; Oct 6, 2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

I attached a screenshot of what I get everytime I try to read.
Attached Thumbnails Cant read my rom-jjkjj.jpg  
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

I had issues with the latest ECU flash- but this was with a 2.0 cable. I had to go back 1 version, they changed the drivers for the cable and I could not flash/scan anything. Reloaded the drivers manually, forced com port changes etc. Fianlly uninstalled everything and went back to 1.43 (iirc) and everything works great...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 05:59 PM

Make sure you have the Mitsubishi connector also, not just the OBD 2 cable plugged in