Notices
ECU Flash

GSC S3s

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GSC S3s

So I tuned my car on the stock longblock to ~580hp and the car was running great but I decided to up the ante a little bit and drop on a built head with GSC s3, +1mm valves, dual valve Springs, GSC no tick lifters and a port and polish.

My question is, since I'm going to retune it tomorrow is what should I expect differently? Should I just drop the timing across the board and start from there?
ID2000s
Buschur Double
Built head with GSC S3s
OEM Gasket with ARP Custom Aged 625 head studs
Stock bottom end
BW S362 FMW T4 with .91 AR housing
ETS 4"

Here is my current timing table on e85.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by jeffbeagley; Oct 9, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what does the load curve look like ? wchich cells etc
also what amount of boost are you running ?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Although I don't have s3's I recently had s1 cams installed and I had to not only reduce timing but add fuel mainly where the turbo was spooling to redline. Hopefully you have a wideband and logging cable. I constantly check for knock counts and I've slowly been able to tune them out. In addition, I reduced the boost a bit on my setup bc I was hitting higher load cells. Hopefully I can get on the dyno soon to really fine tune everything.

Last edited by ronaldo9; Oct 10, 2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Is it possible to drop it any more your already in the minus figures ,expect to have to richen up the fuel map a tad

if you dont mind me asking what boost and what peak load figure do you see ???

Last edited by todd6027; Oct 10, 2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stunt2
what does the load curve look like ? wchich cells etc
also what amount of boost are you running ?
I was hitting 320load/5200rpms at peak tq and tapering down to about 280 at peak rpm. So 2* at peaktq, and 17-18 out the top.

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Although I don't have s3's I recently had s1 cams installed and I had to not only reduce timing but add fuel mainly where the turbo was spooling to redline. Hopefully you have a wideband and logging cable. I constantly check for knock counts and I've slowly been able to tune them out. In addition, I reduced the boost a bit on my setup bc I was hitting higher load cells. Hopefully I can get on the dyno soon to really fine tune everything.
No wideband and logging cable, I just tuned the car to 580hp on sound alone... Also no need to check for knock as I run E85, did you read my post at all?

I plan on turning down the boost quite a bit since I expect this head to flow a bit more and I've also had a huge hole in my intercooler for the past few years.

Originally Posted by todd6027
Is it possible to drop it any more your already in the minus figures ,expect to have to richen up the fuel map a tad

Haha with my load curve I never saw those figures.

if you dont mind me asking what boost and what peak load figure do you see ???
Peak load was 320 and this was at 36psi I have my Map to KPA ( load ) scaled down a bit.

I also have my boost set to ramp up towards redline to save the rods.. I target 27psi (around 400tq) at 5krpms and it flatlined all the way to redline ( 36psi ) while still making 580hp.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Well I was able to get out and mess with it a little this afternoon and finished up with 592hp and 422tq ( Virtual Dyno ) at 29psi. I wanted to make a little bit more hp but afraid I can't without increasing the torque so I'm going to keep it right there.

I'm experiencing two problems, one the car has never been able to start in the cold without throttle, and two every time I clutch in the AFR stumbles to low 12s until it catches back up. Any ideas?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Well I got it tuned pretty well in 3rd gear, I believe this "small" turbo is not allowing me to make anymore power at this torque level.. I've tried all I know to keep the torque low but try to get to my goal of 650hp but it doesn't seem likely, it just keeps wanting to make torque no matter what I do.

So then I went to try a 1st-3rd gear run and it felt pretty sluggish. Pulled the log ( thank god for tactrix auto logging ) and something is very strange. I'll let the log speak for itself but in short it's hitting some really awkward timing values in 2nd gear.

All ignition trim tables are zeroed. Almost wonder if it was experiencing some phantom knock from something in the Engine bay.. though values as low as -9 seem a bit weird. I know this car is nowhere near MBT, and it's on E85.

Log
http://jeffbeagley.com/random/1st%20through%20third.csv

Last edited by jeffbeagley; Oct 12, 2014 at 02:14 PM.