Notices
ECU Flash

FIC2150 tuning notes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 07:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
got a bit more drive-time. for e20, 1539 cc/min seems good. i had to drop latency by 0.025 ms (smallest step size). i put the pulsewidth linearization values back to my e85 values, but will probably have to make a few tweaks to the table to get afrs fully optimized.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
So the pulse damper works and is a good upgrade? My car also has a weird lean spot around 2250 that I can't seem to tune out...

Will installing a fuel rail and damper from radium have an affect on other parts of the tune? I feel like a higher volume fuel rail could make afr's globally rich...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:34 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah, the damper works, although i don't think this one is 100% effective (due to its overly simplistic design). word has it that radium is working on their own damper (vs their current offering which is simply a bosch damper). i will likely try it. a number of people say that a damper is not needed for stock rail and fpr. what you got?

big rail will not affect fuelling except in the case of the prior rail being undersized and causing a pressure drop along the rail.

damper will only fix resonance-based deficiencies. will not affect overall tune.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Ordered the Radium Evo9 fuel rail kit and damper today. The rail looks to be good quality unit.

And now you say they (Radium) are doing their own damper, kinda wish I had waited a bit now.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
yeah, the damper works, although i don't think this one is 100% effective (due to its overly simplistic design). word has it that radium is working on their own damper (vs their current offering which is simply a bosch damper). i will likely try it. a number of people say that a damper is not needed for stock rail and fpr. what you got?

big rail will not affect fuelling except in the case of the prior rail being undersized and causing a pressure drop along the rail.

damper will only fix resonance-based deficiencies. will not affect overall tune.
Stock rail and reg. FIC 1650 hi-z injectors and a walbro 450 in a modified stock sending unit with the siphon drilled to 9/64's. Stock feed and return lines. Car never had the lean spot before going to the FP red and big injectors.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by merlin.oz
Ordered the Radium Evo9 fuel rail kit and damper today. The rail looks to be good quality unit.

And now you say they (Radium) are doing their own damper, kinda wish I had waited a bit now.
i agree on rail. fair price too. i should have mentioned the new radium damper sooner.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Stock rail and reg. FIC 1650 hi-z injectors and a walbro 450 in a modified stock sending unit with the siphon drilled to 9/64's. Stock feed and return lines. Car never had the lean spot before going to the FP red and big injectors.
2250 rpm is the right place. if you still have stock injectors, see if installing them gets rid of the lean spot. i'll loan you mine if you want. i'm curious to see.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

The cost of the parts is ok, the freight cost is exorbitant, $176 shipping to Oz. They need to work on that.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me know next time Dave.
I have a hook up on freight from US.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

i agree on rail. fair price too. i should have mentioned the new radium damper sooner.

2250 rpm is the right place. if you still have stock injectors, see if installing them gets rid of the lean spot. i'll loan you mine if you want. i'm curious to see.

I might have them somewhere. Somewhat questionable as to whether or not they'll be gummed up with old fuel, they've been sitting unused for well over a year now. I'll try them if some more tuning tweaks don't help.

The cost of the parts is ok, the freight cost is exorbitant, $176 shipping to Oz. They need to work on that.
Unfortunately, company's only get good discounts on shipping that they use a lot. If they don't do international a lot, they get charged a lot. At the last place I worked, we only used UPS, but our rates on everything changed monthly depending how much of which service we had used the previous month...

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 6, 2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

I got it fixed. Finally got it to replicate while logging. Car was going into open loop (load was 95-110), so I just added fuel in the fuel table. Increased units by 8 in the Asynch vs tps delta table and it no longer goes lean on tip in or after shifts. It works, but makes my fuel table look funny with the block of rich fueling in the middle of the very top lol
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

My Radium fuel rail kit arrived today, looks to every bit as good quality as I had hoped for.
Unfortunately, it seems I have ordered the wrong kit as the kit I now have has no fuel pressure reg adapter or flexi hose. And I now have two fuel dampers, which do not mount to the top centre port on the rail and so I will still have to buy some adapter for that. This is getting messy.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:01 PM
EvoM Guru

I got it fixed. Finally got it to replicate while logging. Car was going into open loop (load was 95-110), so I just added fuel in the fuel table. Increased units by 8 in the Asynch vs tps delta table and it no longer goes lean on tip in or after shifts. It works, but makes my fuel table look funny with the block of rich fueling in the middle of the very top lol
So you tuned around it?

My Radium fuel rail kit arrived today, looks to every bit as good quality as I had hoped for.
Unfortunately, it seems I have ordered the wrong kit as the kit I now have has no fuel pressure reg adapter or flexi hose. And I now have two fuel dampers, which do not mount to the top centre port on the rail and so I will still have to buy some adapter for that. This is getting messy.
Bummer. For the dual dampers, maybe you can build a tree with 3/8" NPT. Is NPT available in AU?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

I figured I would have to get an adapter locally to fit the damper.
Speedflow is made in Oz and they do a zillion fittings and adaptors, so that should not be much of a problem.

Hopefully it wont cost too much to get the other parts from Radium sent out.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

So you tuned around it?

For the most part. It's just about perfect most of the time, but it still occasionally goes quite lean right in that spot (17:1 or leaner), it did it this morning on the way to work pulling away from a stop light, and I wasn't logging (of course). So, I'm going to start bringing my laptop with me everywhere I guess...lol
Old Mar 11, 2015, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

For the most part. It's just about perfect most of the time, but it still occasionally goes quite lean right in that spot (17:1 or leaner), it did it this morning on the way to work pulling away from a stop light, and I wasn't logging (of course). So, I'm going to start bringing my laptop with me everywhere I guess...lol
Looks to me like a fuel pressure damper fixes the issue. Do you plan to install one eventually?

Quick Reply: FIC2150 tuning notes