Notices
ECU Flash

P0125 after thermostat change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0125 after thermostat change

Hi guys. Finally got the car tuned right and running well after some upgrades at the end of the summer. Some of my other posts will give you an idea of my issues. Lol. But now I have a new one. I decided to change my thermostat because the car has always run on the cold side and I figured the previous owner had put a lower degree stat in it before. I was right. I pulled out a 63 degree stat and replaced it with a factory oem 85 degree stat. Bled the coolant. Drove it home, drove great, idles better and heat finally, nice. But about ten miles into my drive home, CEL came on. P0125. Do you guys think this will just need to be modified in my rom by me or my tuner to fix? Scanner shows 185 degrees at idle when fully warmed up, gauge reads in the middle, fans work fine, so I know it shouldn't be an input issue. Just wondering if it is a value issue with the ecu and the tune I have. Thanks for the input guys.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Should also note that the car has run fine since the last tune in September once I finally got my headgasket issue worked out. The tune was able to be completed correctly and have had no problems since. Just decided to change the thermostat to get some better heat flow for this winter. NO other changes made, then the pesky p0125 shows up. Like I said, is it an adjustment in the ecu that needs to be made, or something else? I have a tactrix cable coming finally and I have evoscan and ecuflash. So logs and changes can be made by me once I get the cable and with the help of all you knowledgeable guys on the forum. Thanks again guys.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

bump, anything?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

So checking my data list with my snap on scanner on the way to work this morning when the code set again, I found that the car is in closed loop and the coolant temp was at 178 degrees when the code set. It was about 12 mins after initial start up and ambient temp was around 40 degrees this morning. No movement at all from my rear 02 sensor, I have the tephra mod, still completely unsure how all this works. The whole ecuflash and computer tuning stuff is still new to me. So I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what thermostat did you use? you probably used a colder thermostat causing the cel. Put in an oem opening temp thermostat or tune around it.

--sorry didn't completely read your post. I see u replaced it with an oem tstat. sounds like it was previously tuned for the low temp tstat. Easiest way is to look for a oem rom and compare it to yours anything coolant related.

Last edited by andrewzaragoza; Dec 17, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

It was a factory thermostat that I used. I finally got it worked out by changing my FAA bit to 1 for the Rear 02. It has been set to 0 since I got the car as far as I know. I was running a colder thermostat before. 63 degree C was in there by the previous owner, never had a cel from it. All I did was change the thermostat, then boom, cel for insufficient coolant temp for closed loop operation. Changed the bit to 1 and it's gone. Scratching my head as to why it never came on before with a lower degree thermostat, but whatever, lol, it's fixed.