Notices
ECU Flash

Beginners tips!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beginners tips!

Hi guys!
I'm new here, I've been reading through the forum for a while and finally decided to join.
I've got a 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer GSR, it's a hybrid vehicle with an OBDII port, and the twelve pin rectangular connector that only has a single pin.

I've gotten my hands on what I think are all the bits and pieces needed to make the car tuneable:
-Evo VI ECU. (Chip code: MH7202F)
-560cc Evo injectors
-787 MAF
-The smaller plug to splice into my current harness to allow me to use that MAF
-Evo VI Fuel pump
-TD05H-14B from a VR4.
-PLX DM-6 Gen 4 Wideband kit
-Tactrix Openport 2.0 reflasher with the mitsubishi adapter.

Now this is going to be a learning process for me, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many people who have done the conversion (most use ECMLite, or a complete aftermarket engine management system).

I'm assuming that with all the equipment 'matching' up, the car should start and idle at least, i'm expecting it to run rich, but that should at least give me somewhere to start tuning from. Does anyone have any tips/anything I've missed? I know I havent got a 3 port boost control solenoid, I have read that some people use the fuel pressure regulator solenoid, but I'm not 100% sure on whether thats a good idea.

Major relevant mods to the car are a 3" 'catback' exhaust (cat deleted), and the engine is built, forged H beam rods and 8:1 compression forged pistons. Still running the stock spark system, and only has a small boost T at the moment.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
That should all work out ok.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 01:52 AM

My Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 plug arrived today, I tried plugging it into my GSR just to see what would happen, it didnt work as expected haha, "read from ECU" button just causes an error.
Why bother putting and OBDII port on the car if it doesnt actually work?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you running the wire from the 2.5mm jack at the end of the Tactrix to the ECU. It won't work without it.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:12 PM

The Mitsubishi 12 pin plug with the 2.5mil plug? Yes I had that plugged into the tactrix cable. I tried using evoscan just to see what would happen, that wouldn't work either. Its probably just because the GSR lancer ECU is shiiiit
Old Mar 21, 2015, 03:15 PM

You might have to search for an XML file to suit. I had that problem with an EVO 7 ECU but now there is a good one to suit my ECU on ECU flash. Search the net and you may find one. Also being an Aussie car it's probably not going to be OBD2 just the plug. That happened with a lot of cars before the changeover. Good luck.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 06:43 PM

There's a few definition files on the net, GSR, RS, RS2, Ralliart. So hopefully I'll be ok.
Not sure I follow what you mean "not obd just the plug" there are some wires going into the back of the obd2 plug.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 07:28 PM

Exactly that. Leading up to the compliance date for OBD2 many manufacturers started using the plug/socket in preparation but still used their older OBD1 scanning and logging protocols. Some started using a bastard half/half which made it hard. You should be OK when you setup your car if your using the correct ECU and wiring configuration. Good luck.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:30 PM

huh, ok, interesting, well my OBDII Plug definitely has multiple wires plugged into the back of it. it's not just a blank plug. The OBDI plug only has a single wire, apparently thats just a ground.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 05:26 PM

Best bet is to find a pic on your cars socket and see whats what. Holden used it data streaming. ABS and the transmission but I have no idea what Mitsu did.
I have tried to attach a pic of a 1996 Lancer but the file is too large. It's just what I said. If you want a copy send me your email address. Cheers Dave