EVO VIII SD Problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Changed all settings to OMNI 4 Bar................ didn't work
Adjusted scaling and latency multiple time..... didn't work
switched car back over to MAF with latency and scaling for injectors...........car dies every time I use the gas pedal

the car hasn't moved in a while now.

i can drive the car but only in reverse with very light throttle and most of the time it dies because anything more than the slightest touch to throttle it dies.

I have no idea anymore

if i cant get help with it by the end of the week I'm disassembling the whole car and selling every piece just out of spite
Old Apr 23, 2015, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SR Concepts
Update... after waking up @ 6am to get to the shop on Sunday to review data
Map sensor scaled correctly I went word for word via tutorial just to make sure I wasn't missing something I didnt understand.
Im going over the the cars ecu. And it was in closed loop. I didn't think of it since the map was working on my friends car. So im changing the values now to run open

However im slightly suspicious of the new fuel pump or something along those lines.

I tested the brand new fuel pressure gauge with a compressor and it works.....so why would the afpr read 0 and why only when I step on it is it choking. The STM rewire kit is wired in properly the fuel pump is in and not leaking.

Still going forward with running open loop will report back
Dude this sounds almost exactly like what happened to me. Pull the fuel pump and check if the oring came off!!!

I know you would rather this be rom related, but I have a strange feeling that you have the same problem as me (and others) when switching to a walbro 450lph.

My car is MAF and I was previously wally 255 and switched to walbro 450 with the STM hardwire kit. Everything was fine but we couldn't get fuel pressure lower than 65psi! We assumed it was the fpr and ordered another one and I drove the for about a week, until one morning it was hesitant to start up.

After several tries she barely turned over and I let her warm up. I assumed the battery was on it's last breath as my car is extremely reliable, trims, scaling, latency, idle, closed and open loop etc all solid. As I began to drive around 4000rpm the car would sputter and jerk...AFR was very lean too. Checked fuel pressure 30psi!

Anyway, it turned out that the hardwired 450 was such a beast that it pushed the oring out. Also worth noting is this pump WILL over run your return and cause a big spike in fuel pressure and an aftermarket FPR will not be able to adjust for.

The reason for this is in this thread. The long and short of it is you could be over running the return because the size of orifice on the "T" vs the volume the new pump is flowing.

Originally Posted by Ted_B
The fuel return line comes to a 'T' inside the tank, whereby the return goes straight through the 'T', and the 90 degree fitting is plumbed to the other side of the tank. The velocity of the return fuel through the restricted orifice inside the 'T' is what sucks fuel from the other side of the tank into the main section. The pressure buildup in the rail is caused by the orifice in the 'T' being too small to accomodate the volume of return fuel
I feel like this may be working against you while trying getting the RPM SD and short term feedback trims sorted. If the oring came off, get it back on and make sure that sucker will stay on, and then drill out the siphon on the return!

Drill the diameter a little larger... 3-3.5mm should work. Anyway...all the info you need if you decide to try this is on the first and last pages of the thread I linked to.

Hopefully you get it solved.

Last edited by R. Mutt; Apr 23, 2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a plan I can work with.

When you experienced issues like this did you have the ability to drive your car at all? Or was it stationary like mine is now?

Only reason im asking is I have no ability to move forward or the car dies and im looking for other problems that might be associated with it once I preform the fuel pump surgery that would prevent it from driving after that
Old Apr 23, 2015, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SR Concepts
Sounds like a plan I can work with.

When you experienced issues like this did you have the ability to drive your car at all? Or was it stationary like mine is now?

Only reason im asking is I have no ability to move forward or the car dies and im looking for other problems that might be associated with it once I preform the fuel pump surgery that would prevent it from driving after that
My car would drive but barely. And the only reason it was able to was because the oring didn't come off completely...it tore partially as it was pushed down. This explains why I had 30psi fuel pressure and not 0. If you have a reading of 0 chances are the issue is related to the pump and my guess would be the oring came off completely. Happens more than you think.

My advice would be just to pull the pump and see if the oring came off. If that's the source of the problem you can fix it and should be able to get good fuel pressure (43psi) and drive the car on you base SD map. BUT my advice would be to drill the orifice as well otherwise it's just a matter of time until it happens again.

Last edited by R. Mutt; Apr 23, 2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R. Mutt
My car would drive but barely. And the only reason it was able to was because the oring didn't come off completely...it tore partially as it was pushed down. This explains why I had 30psi fuel pressure and not 0. If you have a reading of 0 chances are the issue is related to the pump and my guess would be the oring came off completely. Happens more than you think.

My advice would be just to pull the pump and see if the oring came off. If that's the source of the problem you can fix it and should be able to get good fuel pressure (43psi) and drive the car on you base SD map. BUT my advice would be to drill the orifice as well otherwise it's just a matter of time until it happens again.

Thank you so much for the help! I will look into this tomorrow when im back at the shop.

Also just to make sure im clear.......which O ring am I looking at in the fp.assembly ? Since you said its most likely fallen off im just trying to male sure im looking in the right area.

Again THANKS!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

subscribed . i built an sti for a customer who swore on a stack of bibles that he had a new pump in. well he did but i hemorrhaged fuel out of the internal pump bypass causing erratic fuel pressure.my bad as i ignored my fp gauge on initial tune. moral of the story is log fuel pressure and afr if at all possible
Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
subscribed . i built an sti for a customer who swore on a stack of bibles that he had a new pump in. well he did but i hemorrhaged fuel out of the internal pump bypass causing erratic fuel pressure.my bad as i ignored my fp gauge on initial tune. moral of the story is log fuel pressure and afr if at all possible
Understood. The car is using an innovative MXTL A/F gauge hooked to and Innovative LC unit so we have been logging here at the shop. I did order a fuel pressure gauge adapter kit for the rail just to see whats happening.
But like I stated I will fix the fuel pump issue and report back with any updates.
I hope this fixes the problem and this becomes a great documented learning experience.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Update.
Pulled fuel pump and drilled siphon.
Also checked over FP.
The fuel pump had the black o ring but the blue o ring underneath that the walbro came with is gone......I couldn't see it in the tank either. Is this the o ring everyone is having problems with?
I don't have a spare so im going to try and find the dimensions from walbro or anyone whos knowledgeable about the o ring on the board.
Fortunately the car is going to sit for two weeks while we put in the new goodies so I'm not missing anything while I locate the info.
Might switch to a double pumper if I can get a good deal.
Id say if this is the o ring causing the problem then its clearly not a tuning issue and this thread has been accidentally placed in the ecu section
Thanks to all who contributed