Notices
ECU Flash

EcuFLASH support for an electric DV/BOV?

Old May 15, 2015, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EcuFLASH support for an electric DV/BOV?

I've yet to drive an Evo with really good DV performance, especially on the track. It seems like every one I've tried has some weirdness, hitching, leaking, sudden discharge at trailing throttle / high RPM mid corner... etc.

Using one of these Bosch / Pierburg valves that come on VAG cars might be a great solution. If they could be wired into a spare GPIO on the ECU, like where the EGR or fuel pressure solenoid then it could be fully mapped against TPS, load, RPM. It could be set to never leak at idle, or leak a fixed amount at low throttle angles to possibly make the off boost throttle response better. Then during lift throttle conditions the opening event could be tailored to not just slam open but open just enough to avoid surging the turbo.

Here's the valve:
http://www.ecstuning.com/News/VW_Aud...iverter_Valve/

Here's a valve adapter for use with flex hose:
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

Whacha software wizards think?
Old May 16, 2015, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
/*puts on technowizard hat*/
It's not a software problem.
I'm pretty sure this valve has much lower coil resistance than egr/fuel pressure solenoids. F5033 IC low-side driver max current is around 0.5A per channel iirc.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
How much boost can that thing handle? Is it a two-pin connection?
Old May 26, 2015, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

I called ECS tuning. It can only handle up to 16 psi of boost. Pops open after that. Too bad.
Old May 26, 2015, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
why do something weird when the normal stuff works?
Old May 26, 2015, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
why do something weird when the normal stuff works?
Normal stuff isn't working well for me.
Old May 27, 2015, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I took the Synapse off my e9 and put the stock metal e8 DV back in - much better but I am only running 26psi.

One of my crazier EvoX clients has an electronic BOV, maybe I should check it out again.
The car is an MR but I dont recall it doing anything weird, though I got the guy to set it fairly soft.
Old May 27, 2015, 04:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by merlin.oz
I took the Synapse off my e9 and put the stock metal e8 DV back in - much better but I am only running 26psi.

One of my crazier EvoX clients has an electronic BOV, maybe I should check it out again.
The car is an MR but I dont recall it doing anything weird, though I got the guy to set it fairly soft.
Definitely would like to know the brand and how he's controlling it.
Old May 27, 2015, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Normal stuff isn't working well for me.
got it!
Old May 28, 2015, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
^^ I will find out the details

this is what the guy fitted to his EvoXMR

http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-...s/deceptor-pro

Last edited by merlin.oz; May 29, 2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old May 28, 2015, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I called ECS tuning. It can only handle up to 16 psi of boost. Pops open after that. Too bad.

That's weird, when I had my GTI with the APR K04 turbo kit, the APR tune would spike about 21-22psi of boost, and hold 17-18 out the top. Obviously not the 30psi we run, but it still seemed to hold more than what ECS told you. The K03 spiked 19 and held 14 out the top..

That being said, the tial QRJ in tial's recommended configuration works very well on my car with the FP red and FP anti-surge compressor cover..

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; May 28, 2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old May 28, 2015, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for considering this all. It seems like there might be a solution to the claimed boost limit:

http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-...cations-by-gfb

http://www.maperformance.com/2005-20...its-t9351.html

Beyond that I'm sure creating a driver to boost the available current wouldn't really be an issue. To me it's getting the code together in the ECU to control it that's the big challenge.
Old May 28, 2015, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

recoding one of the 12 V pwm or on/off outputs wouldn't be hard. neither style of output is high power though. would need at least a 25 ohm load, so i doubt it could drive the valve directly unless the valve is electropneumatic, and then still not sure. another possibilty would be the ics control outputs. also, after a bit of thought, i'm wondering if charge pipe pressure is a key control parameter. have you looked at the vw/audi control tables? not saying i have time for any of this, but if you figure out the electronics hardware, we can discuss because its something that interests me.
Old May 28, 2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might be able to use O2 sensor heater output. I'm not sure about current output capability of evo7-9 controllers, it should be atleast 2-3A.
Old May 29, 2015, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

This is pretty interesting. GFB is showing that the valve is holding 30+ psi and logically it'll hold anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EgXspDfI08#t=169

"...Rather than using the solenoid to directly actuate the valve, we’ve introduced a unique “pilot-actuation” system. This means the solenoid controls the air pressure that is used to open and close the piston, so it doesn't matter how much boost you push through it, the DV+ will open and close reliably without ever exceeding the solenoid’s capability.

This feature also improves on the factory system by opening the valve progressively in response to boost pressure, so it only opens as much as required to get the job done (the factory valve simply opens and shuts, it cannot partially open if boost pressure is low), resulting in better throttle response."

This all suggest the logic states and programming should be pretty easy. Since it's just solenoid driven the power situation should be easy to solve. My office mate just ordered a DV+ for his Mk6. Prime should deliver Sunday so i'll be able to measure the DV coil resistance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EcuFLASH support for an electric DV/BOV?