Notices
ECU Flash

5858 Spool on 2.3l

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5858 Spool on 2.3l

I have a BB 5858 ets t3 kit with exhaust mani, open dump, tial wg on a 2.3l stroker. Im on the stock intake mani and throttle body and haven't switched over to speed density yet. Car is on 91 oct. Seems to me the turbo is hella laggy. Mods considered, I still figured I would be hitting peak torque before 5000 rpm, especially on the stroker build. Still love my set up, just want to see it spool a little quicker. Supposedly the car has Kelford 272's that I bought it with however their were no markings that are consistent with what Kelford 272s look like when I broke down the engine after I bought it last year. Am I expecting too much or does the spool seem about right? Heres a couple pulls on virtual dyno as well as a snap of my MIVEC map and the tune. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files
Old May 31, 2015, 02:19 PM

Anyone? ttt
Old May 31, 2015, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to chime in and put out my .02 cents

It looks as if it is spooling within the realm of a 5858

Best way to see if you have 272 Kelfords is to spec your cams

Also are you tuning this?
Old May 31, 2015, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I would say there's room for improvement. Here's a virtual dyno of mine on 93 octane at 29 psi. I looked at some logs, and I'm hitting peak torque at 4800 rpms. I'm running the .63 hotside and 8.5/1 compression so i've got some help with spool.

Last edited by Tuxevo; May 31, 2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old May 31, 2015, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
I would say there's room for improvement. Here's a virtual dyno of mine on 93 octane at 29 psi. I looked at some logs, and I'm hitting peak torque at 4800 rpms. I'm running the .63 hotside and 8.5/1 compression so i've got some help with spool
Hence why I asked if he's tuning it...
Good numbers on your end!
Plus that 91 is really gonna hurt the OPs chance of some extra hp
Old May 31, 2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by SR Concepts
I'm going to chime in and put out my .02 cents

It looks as if it is spooling within the realm of a 5858

Best way to see if you have 272 Kelfords is to spec your cams

Also are you tuning this?

It was tuned "mildly" when I bought it. I spoke to the guy in Houston who tuned it and he said they tuned it VERY conservatively. I think it only made 415whp on his dyno. This car has been a nightmare and I've slowly ironed out the kinks from the half-assed things that were done to it. The tune runs a little rich in the mid to high 10 AFRs. I'm going to play with the tune a little bit.

My main concern was if boost was coming on late. It may have been intentionally tuned to not make torque so Ill have to take a look at my timing maps to compare. Ill post them up when I get home later.
Old May 31, 2015, 07:23 PM

I would say there's room for improvement. Here's a virtual dyno of mine on 93 octane at 29 psi. I looked at some logs, and I'm hitting peak torque at 4800 rpms. I'm running the .63 hotside and 8.5/1 compression so i've got some help with spool.

That's a hella smooth torque curve. Did you self tune? What mods are you running. You're like right where I'd like my car to be.
Old May 31, 2015, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry for your frustration I have a build thread where I'm cleaning up messes just like you. I hope things weren't too bad heh.

Also a conservative tune will certainly affect spool. My suggestion..... if you don't have extensive tuning knowledge your best bet would be to do a remote or dyno tune and learn that way first. It will save you some time and ensure your bottom end stays together running 91.
Any E85 options near you?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rn520
That's a hella smooth torque curve. Did you self tune? What mods are you running. You're like right where I'd like my car to be.
Thanks. I hit the keys, but the info to do it correctly came from all the folks in the ecu forums. As far as mods go, my fuse box, valve cover and power steering reservoir are still stock
Old Jun 1, 2015, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. I hit the keys, but the info to do it correctly came from all the folks in the ecu forums. As far as mods go, my fuse box, valve cover and power steering reservoir are still stock
Haha!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by SR Concepts
I'm sorry for your frustration I have a build thread where I'm cleaning up messes just like you. I hope things weren't too bad heh.

Also a conservative tune will certainly affect spool. My suggestion..... if you don't have extensive tuning knowledge your best bet would be to do a remote or dyno tune and learn that way first. It will save you some time and ensure your bottom end stays together running 91.
Any E85 options near you?

I have pretty general knowledge I know what not to do. I feel like the foundation of the tune is pretty solid to start with. There wouldn't be too much room for adjustments on 91. I planned on going to E85, for now I've been adding torco accelerator to bump up my fuel to at least 93 as a safety net. The car isn't my dd so it doesn't get driven much. I like to learn and do things myself. I just made my tephra launch maps for the car so I could track it and that went pretty well actually.

Very nice lol!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 02:05 PM

Heres what my ignition map looks like: