Notices
ECU Flash

Need Experienced Log Readers 2.0 or 2.3 Log?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Experienced Log Readers 2.0 or 2.3 Log?

I cant get Excel to work on my computer.. I want to know if my motor is a 2.0 or a 2.3. I brought the car 2 years ago and dealership stated it was a 2.3 but im not so sure.. Any Help Well Appreciated!

Evo 9 EtS, Fmic, 550cc, Walbro 450,4 Bar Omini
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Log 2.0 or 2.3.txt (66.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Streetsweeper; Jun 15, 2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:16 PM

So out of 338 people ONE member was nice enough to tell me the link to log wasnt even working..Anyway Fixed Log!! Any help appreciated!!

Last edited by Streetsweeper; Jun 8, 2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The reason you've gotten no response is because answering your question with the information provided is going to be a guess at best. An easier way to tell is to get a wooden dowel smaller in diameter than a spark plug. Pull out a spark plug. Bring that piston to the top of its stroke. Put the dowel in the spark plug hole. Turn the engine by hand and measure how far the dowel descends. Report back with your findings and then we can answer your question.

Last edited by Tuxevo; Jun 8, 2015 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
The reason you've gotten no response is because answering your question with the information provided is going to be a guess at best. An easier way to tell is to get a wooden dowel smaller in diameter than a spark plug. Pull out a spark plug. Bring that piston to the top of its stroke. Put the dowel in the spark plug hole. Turn the engine by hand and measure how far the dowel descends. Report back with your findings and then we can answer your question.
You can tell from a log by the airflow.. My car is in Florida I'm in Atlanta.. I logged this hours before flight.. If I had excel working and a stock 2.0 Evo 8 9 log I would be able to tell my self along with others..
Old Jun 13, 2015, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've looked at the log a few times

I can't really see any measurable difference in air flow to help me

I suggest that the mechanical solution provided above will help us all

If you can just give me the amount the piston travels I can help. I know the stock amount and variences for 2.1,2.2,2.3,2.4 so just send the mechanical data needed
I typically either know or ask the stroke size before log reading
Old Jun 14, 2015, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Streetsweeper
You can tell from a log by the airflow.. My car is in Florida I'm in Atlanta.. I logged this hours before flight.. If I had excel working and a stock 2.0 Evo 8 9 log I would be able to tell my self along with others..
You would be able to guess you mean. There are so many factors affecting airflow readings. The air filter, the intake pipe, maf scaling, boost leaks/leaks between maf and turbo, all will affect the airflow reading. It would all just be a guess.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckleford
You would be able to guess you mean. There are so many factors affecting airflow readings. The air filter, the intake pipe, maf scaling, boost leaks/leaks between maf and turbo, all will affect the airflow reading. It would all just be a guess.
So true .........even a boost leak can mess with VE

There are enough tuners having problems figuring out tuning for motors built in house, let alone a car where the stroke hasn't even been identified
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
dowel sounds good to me.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:18 AM

This could be determined by other factors such as injector duty, spool, load,boost ect.. Of course every car is different but if everything is almost identical than comparing doesn't take to much....

I have just about 4 3/8 inches from the spark plug hole to the top of the piston at the bottom of its stroke..??

Last edited by Streetsweeper; Jun 16, 2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Take a stick, or rod, put the piston at bottom head center, put the stick/rod in the spark plug hole. Measure to the top of the stick/rod from a fixed reference point. Now, put the piston at top dead center and measure from the same reference point to the top of the stick/rod. Get the difference of the 2 numbers, and you have your stroke.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

^ What he said.

If I had the car in front of me I could probably tell you with a pull on evo scan and a drive around the block but that's +20 years of experience that doesn't translate well over the inter-webs. A 2.3L and 2.4L have a different feeling down low and outside of boost then stock and built 2.0L's. But in the end its still a guess, so just measure it out.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Live4Redline
^ What he said.

If I had the car in front of me I could probably tell you with a pull on evo scan and a drive around the block but that's +20 years of experience that doesn't translate well over the inter-webs. A 2.3L and 2.4L have a different feeling down low and outside of boost then stock and built 2.0L's. But in the end its still a guess, so just measure it out.
Im sure you and other that are Experienced could possibility tell. Tom from TsAcOMptuned said he could right away from a log also.. But im not gonna pay $300+ to tell what cams I have...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Live4Redline
^ What he said.

Im sure you and others that are Experienced could possibility tell. Tom from TsComptuned said he could right away from a log also.. But im not going to pay $300+ just to tell what cams I have... I personal hate Evo Software. If this was Ecmlink it would be a whole different world and I wouldnt have to ask for any help..

As stated above I have about 4 3/8"......Still no one though..
Old Jun 19, 2015, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Streetsweeper
Im sure you and others that are Experienced could possibility tell. Tom from TsComptuned said he could right away from a log also.. But im not going to pay $300+ just to tell what cams I have... I personal hate Evo Software. If this was Ecmlink it would be a whole different world and I wouldnt have to ask for any help..

As stated above I have about 4 3/8"......Still no one though..
Without a measurement at BDC and TDC it will still be a guess.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Well, no one makes a 111mm crank for the 4g63, so, measure it how I told you to. Its not that hard.

Quick Reply: Need Experienced Log Readers 2.0 or 2.3 Log?