Notices
ECU Flash

HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scantech does work on Windows 10 upgraded HP Stream.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scantech

scantech does work on Windows 10 upgraded HP Stream.
That's awesome, did you load it after upgrading or was it already working on your old version? You were using windows 7 before the upgrade correct? Can you tell me which versions of ecuflash and evoscan you're using? Did it work with the tactrix selected or Jeff protocol? Using Com port 1 correct?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

crp

I tried to upgrade to windows 10 last night but had problems. First try gave me an error message so I was going to stay on Windows 8.1 but then it felt really super slow. So I decided to try and upgrade again and this time it took all night and this morning it looks like it's stuck at 75% on the configuring settings screen. I'm going to try and do a recovery to revert back to 8.1
Old Aug 15, 2015, 03:26 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
make sure you have enough free hard disk space. It will want to do a pretty large backup as well as downloading the windows 10 files. You can run disk cleanup and make sure to use "Clean up System Files" before attempting the update.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hearnoevo
That's awesome, did you load it after upgrading or was it already working on your old version? You were using windows 7 before the upgrade correct? Can you tell me which versions of ecuflash and evoscan you're using? Did it work with the tactrix selected or Jeff protocol? Using Com port 1 correct?
It came with Windows 8.1 on it. Did the upgrade straight from the Windows site. Once it was upgraded I installed the latest version of ecuflash (1.44), for evoscan I'm using 2.9. Selected tactrix and comport 3 (that's what Device manager showed).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

obd scantech

When you loaded obd scantech and it gave you the pop up that said the file that you are downloading is older than the one you already have on your system, do you want to keep this file? Did you choose yes or no to all of those pop ups?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

windows 10

Yes, I did the cleanup like Biggiesacks suggested and it looks like everything upgraded okay. Only problem I noticed so far was that the virtual keyboard doesn't appear when using google chrome and there doesn't seem to be a desktop anymore, just the tiles over the desktop. So for now I'm having to use the built in Edge browser which shows the virtual keyboard.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:42 AM

Yes, I did the cleanup like Biggiesacks suggested and it looks like everything upgraded okay. Only problem I noticed so far was that the virtual keyboard doesn't appear when using google chrome and there doesn't seem to be a desktop anymore, just the tiles over the desktop. So for now I'm having to use the built in Edge browser which shows the virtual keyboard.
You can disable "Tablet Mode" and get the desktop back, the lack of desktop freaked me out at first too

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
Old Aug 18, 2015, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

When you loaded obd scantech and it gave you the pop up that said the file that you are downloading is older than the one you already have on your system, do you want to keep this file? Did you choose yes or no to all of those pop ups?
Yup I choose to keep the file and I said yes to all other prompts.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jsmcpn
You can disable "Tablet Mode" and get the desktop back, the lack of desktop freaked me out at first too

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
I think I enabled the icon for the keyboard so while it doesn't pop up when on a field I can type on I just invoke it.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 07:06 AM

update: so i gave up on trying to work with this things charging system. Looking through the HP forums i have found that this unit has some serious flaws when it comes to charging and I read HP is even planning on shelving these things as a result. So my solution was to bypass the whole thing, and i ripped the battery out and replaced it with a buck converter i bought off amazon. I cut the pigtail off the battery and soldered to the converter. I set the buck converter to 3.9 volts to emulate the battery, although i think it might take upto 5v i just don't want to push my luck. I plan on making this tablet a semi-permanent install so it will wire it up to 12volt constant. The tablet draws less then 10mA (lowest my meter reads) when in sleep mode so im not worried about the drain on the battery. If anyone else is interested in doing this setup i'll make how-to with some pictures. I'm still waiting on my mounting hardware to arrive, so its not installed in the car yet, but i have tested everything and its all working great.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
update: so i gave up on trying to work with this things charging system. Looking through the HP forums i have found that this unit has some serious flaws when it comes to charging and I read HP is even planning on shelving these things as a result. So my solution was to bypass the whole thing, and i ripped the battery out and replaced it with a buck converter i bought off amazon. I cut the pigtail off the battery and soldered to the converter. I set the buck converter to 3.9 volts to emulate the battery, although i think it might take upto 5v i just don't want to push my luck. I plan on making this tablet a semi-permanent install so it will wire it up to 12volt constant. The tablet draws less then 10mA (lowest my meter reads) when in sleep mode so im not worried about the drain on the battery. If anyone else is interested in doing this setup i'll make how-to with some pictures. I'm still waiting on my mounting hardware to arrive, so its not installed in the car yet, but i have tested everything and its all working great.
I'm definitely interested in this. I gave up in frustration on the evodroid and plan on eventually replacing my old GPS Nav with this (or maybe a newer similar) tablet.

What mounting solution have you come up with?

Thanks,
John-
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:38 AM

For Mounting i ordered:

Amazon.com: Ram Mount Universal X-Grip II Tablet Holder with 1-Inch Ball for Small Tablets Including iPad mini (RAMHOLUN8BU): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Ram Mount Universal X-Grip II Tablet Holder with 1-Inch Ball for Small Tablets Including iPad mini (RAMHOLUN8BU): Computers & Accessories

this

Amazon.com: Ram Mount Long Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Ram Mount Long Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases: Car Electronics

and this

Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM-B-238 RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Base with 1" Ball: Car Electronics Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM-B-238 RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Base with 1" Ball: Car Electronics

I will update with pictures and opinions once i get them installed.

For the buck converter I used this:
Amazon.com: MP1584EN ultra Small DC-DC 3A power Step-Down Adjustable Module Buck Converter 24V To 12v 9V 5V 3V for Arduino By Atomic Market: Electronics Amazon.com: MP1584EN ultra Small DC-DC 3A power Step-Down Adjustable Module Buck Converter 24V To 12v 9V 5V 3V for Arduino By Atomic Market: Electronics

This works great in all my testing so far.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I was wondering. Are there any other tablets that would maybe work better than the one being used? I assume any windows tablet would work the same way. Also pardon my ignorance, but can you install ecuflash and evoscan on an Android tablet? I read someone here mentioning the Android tablet may have better touch screen capabilities.

Last edited by ch53avitech; Sep 24, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know if Hamish is offering the APK outside of it on his device he is marketing.

Quick Reply: HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan