ECU Flash

HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan

Old Jun 28, 2015, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan

This sub-$100 dollar tablet runs a full version of Windows 8.1
I just installed ecuflash 1.44.4341 and evoscan 2.9

I can read/flash my ECU and so far evoscan 2.9 seems to be fully functional.

Gauges are functional:
but will need some template scaling work.

This was on my EVO9 using an Openport 1.3u cable.

I picked this tablet up for $69 from the Microsoft store, and ordered an OTG adapter cable from amazon. I just need to figure out an in car mounting solution and find a compatible charging/data 'Y' cable.

looking forward to running the full version of evoscan instead of evodroid!

John-
Attached Thumbnails HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan-20150628_165405-1024x576-.jpg   HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan-20150628_170424-1024x576-.jpg  

Last edited by JohnnyTSi; Aug 4, 2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I've had a couple people PM me for a link to the components:

Amazon.com: HP Stream 7 32GB Windows 8.1 Tablet (Includes Office 365 Personal for One Year): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: HP Stream 7 32GB Windows 8.1 Tablet (Includes Office 365 Personal for One Year): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: IVSO Micro USB 2.0 Host OTG Cable for HP Stream 8 and HP Stream 7 Tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: IVSO Micro USB 2.0 Host OTG Cable for HP Stream 8 and HP Stream 7 Tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories

I've also found this item that will allow usb charging and a data connection at the same time. (unconfirmed)

Amazon.com: Universal 3 in 1 Micro Usb OTG Hub Host Charging Cable Adapter With Charge Function For Samsung Galaxy S2 S3 S4 S5 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Universal 3 in 1 Micro Usb OTG Hub Host Charging Cable Adapter With Charge Function For Samsung Galaxy S2 S3 S4 S5 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories

John-
Old Jul 6, 2015, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been wondering for quite a while if these cheap tablets and I was just going to buy on a try it. Good feedback, have any issues yet?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I just got my evo a week ago and have been using a stream 7 since the day i bought it with an openport 2.0 and Tephra speed density. Overall it works perfect for this. win8 is down right terrible, and i would have sent the tablet back if i wanted to use it as a normal tablet, but for strictly datalogging and tuning it is very convenient and functional. I have it set up to join my home wifi and share the C drive so I can access all the files from my desktop. It is very difficult to use the touchscreen for much more than starting and stopping evoscan logs or flashing bins. I have made adjustments on the side of the road in ecuflash but its kind of a pain.
i just wish it could charge while plugged into the openport.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice. Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TrendSetter
I just got my evo a week ago and have been using a stream 7 since the day i bought it with an openport 2.0 and Tephra speed density. Overall it works perfect for this. win8 is down right terrible, and i would have sent the tablet back if i wanted to use it as a normal tablet, but for strictly datalogging and tuning it is very convenient and functional. I have it set up to join my home wifi and share the C drive so I can access all the files from my desktop. It is very difficult to use the touchscreen for much more than starting and stopping evoscan logs or flashing bins. I have made adjustments on the side of the road in ecuflash but its kind of a pain.
i just wish it could charge while plugged into the openport.
In order to charge while using data you need a cable with a switch DX.com sells them.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you flash roms via ecuflash on it? How is it as a possible Media player for in car entertainment?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

And just to confirm you were able to flash your ECU with the 1.3D cable?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 05:37 PM

I have one of these devices too. EvoScan and ECUflash work just fine on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (release).

HOWEVER. The screen resolution is just too small. It is almost impossible to tap on checkboxes that are close together (exacerbated by Windows' lackluster touchscreen accuracy), and lots of the operating system and other apps weren't designed to run on such a low resolution. The result is dialog boxes that have their OK/Cancel/Whatever buttons off-screen, which really sucks for windows that aren't resizeable/maximizeable. The only way to click certain buttons is the old fashioned TAB-to-the-item-and-type-spacebar method. If the button is off-screen, you need to know how many TABs it takes to get there. ... I should've gotten the bigger one.

That said, if you just want to log and flash and nothing else, it is perfectly capable of that - you just have to accept that the EvoScan and ECUflash apps are kinda difficult to use and don't behave quite right with window resizing/rotating.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jsmcpn
I have one of these devices too. EvoScan and ECUflash work just fine on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (release).

HOWEVER. The screen resolution is just too small. It is almost impossible to tap on checkboxes that are close together (exacerbated by Windows' lackluster touchscreen accuracy), and lots of the operating system and other apps weren't designed to run on such a low resolution. The result is dialog boxes that have their OK/Cancel/Whatever buttons off-screen, which really sucks for windows that aren't resizeable/maximizeable. The only way to click certain buttons is the old fashioned TAB-to-the-item-and-type-spacebar method. If the button is off-screen, you need to know how many TABs it takes to get there. ... I should've gotten the bigger one.

That said, if you just want to log and flash and nothing else, it is perfectly capable of that - you just have to accept that the EvoScan and ECUflash apps are kinda difficult to use and don't behave quite right with window resizing/rotating.

What kind of tactrix cable did you use? And yeah at least this was my main priority. I was thinking maybe it could replace my android as my car infotainment unit but if its a pita to use then I can just keep it as a flashing tool.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
What kind of tactrix cable did you use? And yeah at least this was my main priority. I was thinking maybe it could replace my android as my car infotainment unit but if its a pita to use then I can just keep it as a flashing tool.

I have the 1.3u cable.

There are some tweeks that will help with usability on the small screen, reducing display resolution, tweeking scroll bar width, increasing font sizes, etc.

I've also confirmed that this device will allow logging and 'some' charging at the same time:

DELL micro USB Dongle for Data and Charging

Somehow the firmware/drivers on the tablet don't detect that the device is charging while the data stream is active. However, after driving/logging for an hour, the device charge remains in a steady state (I started the drive at 87% charge and after an hour was still at 87%). Once the data stream stops, the battery charge of the device will slowly creep up to 100% even though the device doesn't report it is hooked up to a charger.

John-

Last edited by JohnnyTSi; Aug 4, 2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

What about its media capabilities. iTune works, etc? I use a Nexus7 currently for music but I purposely bought this because its almost identical dimensions to the N7. If i could get one device to do it all then I'm golden. If not it is what is. I'm buying a 1.3D cable today. I'm surprised that works to flash since its only advertised as a Data logging cable (and clearly cheaper then a 1.3U cable by a lot).

Edit: Looks like its not available at the moment off of evoscan's website. I'll try the 1.3U cable I think I still have in the car.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Aug 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Oh sorry, 1.3U here.

Other than the low-resolution screen, it works just like any other Windows 8 device and I think it's a decent deal for a ~$90 device that runs Windows. The low-rez screen wouldn't be so bad if Microsoft had a better tap-target detection algorithm. For example: every time I try to select something in EvoScan device setup, it selects something other than what I touched. Every time I touch OBDII it selects OpenPort 2.0 or Subaru instead.

In Android on a 5.5" 1080p screen I can tap a TINY object surrounded by other objects, and 90% of the time the OS just "knows" which one I wanted. Not so with Windows. When you tap in Windows it is exactly like clicking a mouse, and if you miss your target by one pixel there is no intelligence to "snap" the resulting mouse click to the nearest clickable object.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

oops - my bad! I must have the 1.3u cable as I use it for flashing all the time.

Sorry about the confusion.

It is running a full copy of Windows 8.1 home edition. I did update it to Windows 10 last night and so far all looks good. evoscan still works.

John-
Old Aug 4, 2015, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

That was going to be my next question. I saw a few threads on the WIndows 10 preview it it appears that if you update the official way M$ will make you use he version of 10 that is for tablets and not allow you to install legacy apps.

Mind giving a me a brief overview of the install process (did you have to do it from a USB stick, update straight form the site, etc).

I take it upgrading to windows 10 didn't make things better in terms of touch sensitivity. I'll live with it a bit and see if losing an OS more suited for Car Infotainment is worth the price of admission. I ordered one off ebay and the OTG cable recommended. I'm in Atlanta right now but I/m fairly certain I still have my 1.3U cable (Just got my car back the day I was leaving for Atlanta after waiting over a year).

Thanks for all your help btw.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HP Stream 7 tablet running ecuflash & evoscan