Notices
ECU Flash

Pull with little knock, then a pull with lots of knock... How to Tune?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
And your post was not helpful at all. My first log shows little to no knock. I'm not asking how to tune. I'm asking why one run there is no knock and another run there is. And if someone is going to give advice on how to tune, they should give correct information - which is all over this site. Map Trace is just another flavor of tuning software that I'm personally not familiar with. I've used EVOscan's ability to map in real time the load cell and corresponding careabouts - AFRs, knock, etc. I don't have a question about which load cells I'm in when I'm knocking nor did I ask if I'm running too lean. I know that on an EVO 9, it's best to be around 11.8-11.7 at peak load, but I'm not going to adjust my fuel until I know what really causing my knock and if it was due to running lean (higher temps), then I would have expected that my first run would habe been knocking just as much. Unless someone wants to say that the difference between the runs is that the first run heat soaked the engine/raised my temps enough that by the second run a minute later, the higher temps were enough to induce such high counts of knock.

It's a simple question of those who are experienced tuners, asking if they've seen something like this before and what to consider.
And as I mentioned before did you confirm your inconsistent knock with det cans?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
Your timing transitions are very rough, likely the cause of the knock along with being really lean for 91oct. You should be aiming for around 11.0 on that fuel.

^^^ this.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
And your post was not helpful at all. My first log shows little to no knock. I'm not asking how to tune. I'm asking why one run there is no knock and another run there is. And if someone is going to give advice on how to tune, they should give correct information - which is all over this site. Map Trace is just another flavor of tuning software that I'm personally not familiar with. I've used EVOscan's ability to map in real time the load cell and corresponding careabouts - AFRs, knock, etc. I don't have a question about which load cells I'm in when I'm knocking nor did I ask if I'm running too lean. I know that on an EVO 9, it's best to be around 11.8-11.7 at peak load, but I'm not going to adjust my fuel until I know what really causing my knock and if it was due to running lean (higher temps), then I would have expected that my first run would habe been knocking just as much. Unless someone wants to say that the difference between the runs is that the first run heat soaked the engine/raised my temps enough that by the second run a minute later, the higher temps were enough to induce such high counts of knock.

It's a simple question of those who are experienced tuners, asking if they've seen something like this before and what to consider.
You have lean spool enabled in your rom Disable lean spool tune car for desired afr then turn it back on and monitor afr . Also heres the map smoothing tool. Big Maps smoothing.zip

Last edited by 3gturbo; Mar 2, 2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
You have lean spool enabled in your rom Disable lean spool tune car for desired afr then turn it back on and monitor afr . Also heres the map smoothing tool. Attachment 249261
I tend to find in most cases turning LS off, fuel tuning, then turning it back on doesn't work, though I wished it did! Tune with it on or off, though I do with it on.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gturbo
You have lean spool enabled in your rom Disable lean spool tune car for desired afr then turn it back on and monitor afr . Also heres the map smoothing tool. Attachment 249261
I thought lean spool was effectively disabled if you set the LEAN SPOOL START RPM and the LEAN SPOOL STOP RPM to the same value? Currently they're both set to 2500... Is there another, more effective way to disable it?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l-dummies.html
Old Mar 3, 2016, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

OPTION 2
1.) Go to "boost enhancement (anti-lag) Stop RPM"

2.) Right click on it and select "edit map"

3.) Change the address to "1284", click apply, then OK
This is what I missed. I read one of the old tuning guides (Merlin's?) and didn't catch that step.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 09:20 AM

Planning to go Tephra V7?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Planning to go Tephra V7?
I tried once a few years back and didn't have much success... Is it worth revisiting?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:54 AM

i tried once a few years back and didn't have much success... Is it worth revisiting?
100%
Old Apr 15, 2016, 09:27 AM

This would be a good start, make a log and see how it works

Attached Files
File Type: bin