Notices
ECU Flash

2 issues i need resolved asap if anyone can help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 issues i need resolved asap if anyone can help

1st problem is when I start the car in the morning after a minute or 2 it may die.....when it does it takes forever to start again. Usually i gotta wait a few minutes and try again. It appears to be stupid rich on start up (I had to swap the plugs and they only had 2000 miles on them).

2nd (and this has been an issue for a while). 1st through to 3rd gear the car goes stupid lean unless I'm hauling *** and it bogs really bad initially (throttle tip). This is especially a PITA trying to move in first gear (with a Quartermaster 8 leg it makes for a very frustrating experience). At one point tuner got it resolved (But i dont think he realized) but now its back with a vengence.

I'll log whatever will help out with figuring this out. I'm sure the big brains on this forum will be able to figure it out. When I tried to resolve this late last year I came across some threads addressing some of this but I was using ecuflash 1.45 and apparently it causes issues with maps viewed/edited on older versions of ecuflash so I have 1.41 installed.

I downloaded Tephramod V7 and i think it has some of mrfred's fixes in there but I can't tell and since they didnt fix the bug on this forum that made old code disappear I'm not even sure what to add. Case in point I dont know how to add the sync Accel Multiplier vs TPS Delta for 88590715.

I can upload values for whatever tables you guys suggest i change.

Thanks in advanced.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Couple questions:
  1. How long have you had these problems? Have they progressively gotten worse since the first time you noticed them or did they just pop up recently?
  2. Just to confirm, you are on Tephra V7 running SD? If so, what bugs are you trying to address?
Check out these threads for Advanced fuel control options and start-up fuel tables.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l-options.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...cv-tables.html

Last edited by Klaiceps; Mar 17, 2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

1) I thought they were resolved but pretty much since day one after the car was retuned. There was a brief period in there where it drove phenomenally. Then after a retune (upgraded turbo) it went back to it.

2)On Tephra V7 running SD. FIC 2150 Injectors.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
Couple questions:
  1. How long have you had these problems? Have they progressively gotten worse since the first time you noticed them or did they just pop up recently?
  2. Just to confirm, you are on Tephra V7 running SD? If so, what bugs are you trying to address?
Check out these threads for Advanced fuel control options and start-up fuel tables.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l-options.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...cv-tables.html
Do you have the actual code i need to put in ecuflash to see some of these tables (I dont think all of them were in TephraV7).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Click on the links, right click on the page and click on "View Source." You'll be able to copy and paste the code to your ROM. Evom hasn't addressed this issue but that's the workaround.

As far as your startup issue, play around with the startup fuel tables until your car can idle and no longer floods.

Since you're on SD, are you using an Omni 4-bar MAP sensor? If so, be aware that these are known to go bad. I didn't know at the time but mine was going bad and it had me chasing my own tail for a good 8 months until it finally died and left me stranded in rush hour traffic. During those 8 months my car would hesitate during idle and cruise, I would get bad knocking at WOT, and my engine would shut off and it would take a good 5 minutes until it would start again. I tried so many different things in ECUFlash but nothing worked. Stupid MAP sensor.

Last edited by Klaiceps; Mar 17, 2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmmmmmm
Yeah I didn't know they go bad. It is a OMNI Map sensor. I'll look into buying another one.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Ok finally got all the advanced fuel stuff set up. Going to pull the rom and see if all the scaling is done right. I'm sure it is, but it doesnt hurt to check
Old Mar 18, 2016, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Until the map sensor gets here I'm going to try a few things log them and see if one of you geniuses can help me fix this.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

I Added a few percentage on async vs tps delta and it seems to have helped a bit in I'm cruising and accelerating From a dead stop. Still pegs 21 on the wideband in 1st gear. I kept upping the value and now it bogs due to the lean condition in 1st gear and 3rd. Cruising is still ok. I also adjusted async vs rpm up 5 units in the first 3 fields and it seemed to have no effect

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Mar 19, 2016 at 05:19 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Old Mar 19, 2016, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like i am having the same issue as Smurfs #2, Car bogging and going lean on accelerator tip in....then everything if fine once boost starts to build. No knock from of last log.

Going to Log and see what is happening with the Wideband and Boost.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Back....

Well while trouble shooting this issue i found a one of two bad fuel pumps, But during my research i came across this.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...g-notes-6.html

Looks like Mfred had the same issue and it was solved with a fuel Pulse dampener.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Oh i ordered a Pulse dampener myself to see if it fixes my problem.

Seems to be a issue with large injectors.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

**UPDATE**

Fuel Pulse Dampener did fix my issue...and a few other issues also was fixed by this part!

Theory is that the large injectors 1700cc+ must be Pulsating in the fuel rail, causing fuel pressure fluctuations. This Device (installed on most stock vehicles) Compensates, allowing steady fuel pressure.

I would like to hear if this helps your issue. This saved me hours and dollars in tuning.
The following users liked this post:
Klaiceps (May 7, 2016)
Old May 7, 2016, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Cool. I guess this is one of the things I'll need for my future build. Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: 2 issues i need resolved asap if anyone can help