Notices

Questions/thoughts on boost solenoids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Questions/thoughts on boost solenoids

Very new owner of a 2012 MR. I'm new to this setup of two solenoids, but I'm quite used to tune earlier generations of Evos, 3 ports, etc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, IMO it would be easier to max out the passive solenoid duty, lower the reactive solenoid duty very low and start building a boost curve only on the reactive solenoid (which is now at full flow capacity).

For information purpose only, not testing, what is the max boost achieved on stock turbo, both solenoid maxed out ?

By the way, why there is two ? I understand the passive solenoid is like an offset/adder to the bleed air flow, but the stock boost pill (or the reactive solenoid) could just have been bigger, thus eliminating the need for the passive solenoid...

Thanks!

Last edited by domyz; Jul 26, 2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 02:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
step 1. remove stock solenoids and vacuum hoses
step 2. install 3port with new vacuum line
step 3. tune active wgdc (starting at 40% and working up), zero out passive, and enable P0247 fix
step 4. profit
step 5. send profits to me :P

tldr: 3port it
Old Jul 27, 2016, 02:09 AM
EvoM Guru

in answer to your other questions..

you can easily run 25 tapering to 18 on stock turbo... with a 3port, or modified pill setup..
Old Jul 27, 2016, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
in answer to your other questions..

you can easily run 25 tapering to 18 on stock turbo... with a 3port, or modified pill setup..
Thanks tephra

Last edited by domyz; Jul 27, 2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

To close this thread for future readers, what I understood is that the factory system with stock pill is not efficient at releasing high boost pressure from vacuum lines. Also, the bad conception of this always applies some pressure on WGA, so boost response is always a little bit slower than spooling with a completely vented to atmosphere WGA (3 port system)

I won't be buying another pill, as tephra said, 3 port it is.

/end
Old Jul 29, 2016, 05:47 AM
EvoM Guru

just for reference, the way you hook a 3port up is known as an interrupt system, meaning you can divert ALL boost away from the wastegate... as opposed to the stock setup which you can only bleed away a certain amount of boost, meaning you can never apply NO boost to the wastegate..

in real world im not sure this makes much difference, but its a good enough reason for me :P
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
just for reference, the way you hook a 3port up is known as an interrupt system, meaning you can divert ALL boost away from the wastegate... as opposed to the stock setup which you can only bleed away a certain amount of boost, meaning you can never apply NO boost to the wastegate..

in real world im not sure this makes much difference, but its a good enough reason for me :P
Applying pressure to the WG can opens it. Tried it with air compressor/regulator.

Solenoid off (connector unplugged, 0% duty cycle). All manifold pressure diverted towards WG can. Any manifold pressure over WG spring, can opens the WG butterfly. Boost is lowered. Understanding that 7lbs is around the stock WG spring.
But that 7lbs spring is enough to allow the turbo to deliver way over 24psi boost?

Solenoid receiving pulses of varying duty cycle. Solenoid armature lifts off of vent seat and diverts WG/manifold pressure into MAF snorkel. Hence where the rapid "pshht pshht pshht" pressure cooker noise comes from.

From your knowledge at 100% duty cycle, is the solenoid armature receiving the equivalent of constant 12vdc voltage? Therefore venting or diverting all manifold air (be it vacuum or pressure) into the MAF snorkel?

If this isn't so my tuner is in for a major butt whoopin'! You suggested that I read. I read and verified what I read by doing. Not meaning to hijack this thread, it just seemed an opportune moment.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arlo
Applying pressure to the WG can opens it. Tried it with air compressor/regulator.

Solenoid off (connector unplugged, 0% duty cycle). All manifold pressure diverted towards WG can. Any manifold pressure over WG spring, can opens the WG butterfly. Boost is lowered. Understanding that 7lbs is around the stock WG spring.
But that 7lbs spring is enough to allow the turbo to deliver way over 24psi boost?

Solenoid receiving pulses of varying duty cycle. Solenoid armature lifts off of vent seat and diverts WG/manifold pressure into MAF snorkel. Hence where the rapid "pshht pshht pshht" pressure cooker noise comes from.

From your knowledge at 100% duty cycle, is the solenoid armature receiving the equivalent of constant 12vdc voltage? Therefore venting or diverting all manifold air (be it vacuum or pressure) into the MAF snorkel?

If this isn't so my tuner is in for a major butt whoopin'! You suggested that I read. I read and verified what I read by doing. Not meaning to hijack this thread, it just seemed an opportune moment.
To answer your question, yes 100% duty cycle is equivalent to constant voltage applied to the solenoid. What you need to consider is that the stock solenoid setup with restrictions doesn't flow enough to bleed all the pressure applied at WG actuator.
The following users liked this post:
Arlo (Aug 3, 2016)