ECU Flash

Calling Tephra Please. ETACS MUTIII information for EVO 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Calling Tephra Please. ETACS MUTIII information for EVO 8/9

Tephra,

Thanks so much for your help an all your contributions to the EVO world.

I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full.

I have a situation. It has been suggested by Mitsubishi that I fried the Fuel Circuit tied into the Immobilization circuit of my 2004 EVO 8, which lies in the ETACS ECU. Here is the thread I started, troubleshooting a fuel circuit issue that has been plaguing me for 3 months.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ssue-help.html
All the testing I have done is in there, along with the big screw up I did by shorting both sides of Fuel Relay 2 together.

I have been informed, that if that is what I did, that I will need not only to source an ETACS ECU, but then must clone my current bad unit to the new unit, or car will never start. I noticed you have done some ETACS MUTIII programming for the EVO X. What is the chance of giving it a whirl for the EVO 8/9, since the ETACS ECU is no longer manufactured, and no new exist in the world. Only used.

Thanks for looking if you can,

Ryan
Old Jul 31, 2016, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old Aug 2, 2016, 05:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
hey champ,

hrmm this is a bit of a doozie, to be honest i dont know if the ETACS on CT9A does anything special, or whether its essentially a relay box.

i think you got three choices:
1. find a used one, wreckers or whatever, and just wack it in, see if it works...
2. try and repair the current one, if you only burnt out some traces you may be able to fix it yourself...
3. get a used one, then find someone with a MUT3 and download any variant coding you have programmed on your current one, then reload that on the "new" one...

its really going to come down to how smart the ETACS is on CT9A, like I said, im not sure it is that smart...
Old Aug 2, 2016, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

1. find a used one, wreckers or whatever, and just wack it in, see if it works...
I'm told my Mitsu it has vehicle specific/vin info on it. A replacement must be cloned from current. If current is still readable.

2. try and repair the current one, if you only burnt out some traces you may be able to fix it yourself...
I was thinking about that, but first glance was that you break it to open it.

get a used one, then find someone with a MUT3 and download any variant coding you have programmed on your current one, then reload that on the "new" one...
My current is stock programming. I was just going off of Mitsu recommendation in response one of your questions.

Did a search and it didn't look like there was any aftermarket capabilities to do so. Mitsu was also stating it required yes a sepcial MUTIII tool to do the read/write. Something specific to Mitsu dealers. They also stated, that prior to 3 years ago, they might have had the coding on mine stored in their database, but have since purged or no longer keep that data. That is why one must clone the current for the vehicle specific info.

I was hoping since you had done this on the 10's, that maybe I could get read capability, to see what infact of the ETACS circuit might have been damaged.

I am also sourcing an EVO 8 ECM, to try that test as well, trying to rule out all possible failures.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

i would be surprised if there was a special mut3, the Chinese rip of ones run the same software from mitsu...

there may be a VIN encoded in the ETACS, or it may just be mitsu talking ****... some of the guys on the forum have access to a MUT3, i would suggest finding a used ETACS for the same model/year, and then finding a MUT3 to download/upload (or you can just try it to start with)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

some of the guys on the forum have access to a MUT3
Can you point me to screen names?

finding a MUT3 to download/upload
I searched pretty good online, and was not able to find anything. Maybe my search was wrong, and I didn't use the proper terminology I needed to. Do you have any source/suggestions?

finding a used ETACS for the same model/year,
I was going to try this too.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 05:08 PM
EvoM Guru

try chetrickerman or jon@5150... i cant remember who else, there was a conversation on EXF about it I think...
Old Aug 2, 2016, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Tephra. Can you answer this question:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-question.html
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Raceghost, the EVO 9 ETACS is plug and play in other EVO 9s.

I know because mine fried and my interior door open lights stopped working. I sourced a used one and just swapped them out.