Notices
ECU Flash

Tephra Mod Check engine flash on knock.

Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Little update.

Went out logging tonight and making high octane fuel adjustments to correct target afr.

Im making progress here. Did some 3rd gear pulls to 7800 rpm / 30 psi / 12.0 afr tapering down to 11.x.

Some 3rd gear pulls knock free. Some 3rd gear pulls with 1-2 counts of knock.

Virtual dyno is 473 hp, pulls pretty hard.

I keep reading knock sum any were from 3k rpm to 3900 rpm. And it can happen anywere in that area. Alot of my logs verify it does happen alot in that region. Ive yet to touch timing map.

Also i noticed it happens more when going from part throttle to WOT. Usually knocks around that transition. Seems the lower the rpm is at the start of WOT affects it.

Oh and also 2nd gear knock during WOT beginning.

Hope You guys are still tuned in.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 18, 2016, 07:32 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
sounds like your making good progress. Perhaps your timing map needs a little smoothing in the off boost to boost transition area. If you wanna post up one of your 3rd gear logs with some knock counts we can take a look and see what the timing is doing in those areas.
The following users liked this post:
4b11slayer (Oct 18, 2016)
Old Oct 18, 2016, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Im trying to learn how to upload logs. Ill need to do some google.

Also had a question regarding part throttle WB02 AFR. Normally part throttle spool ups should be pretty rich since the turbo isn't making full boost.

Im still SCARED to touch my ignition maps, I honestly can say I can do more reading on Ignition.

I know some basic knowledge of Ignition Timing. So lets say in my case. Do you adjust multiple cells or just the closest one during the knock event? Lets say my Map has 16 degrees and I knock repetively I would go and adjust that 16 degrees to 17 degrees correct? Or am I backwards and needs to be set to 15 degrees?

Thanks again
Old Oct 18, 2016, 09:36 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
**Disclaimer**This advice is obviously my understanding and based on my experience/research tuning my cars. Im not a pro tuner so take it for what it is. generally you will try lowering timing when you get a knock event, but there is also the issue where timing changes too quickly and causes knock. There is this concept of having smooth timing transitions from cell to cell. You don't really want to see timing go more then 2 maybe 3 degrees between cells touching each other. There are exceptions to this rule regarding certain regions of the map that are only touched under very specific conditions, so you want to focus on the areas you are seeing being hit in your logs. So for example if you have a 10 next to a 14 and you are noticing knock when you cross those cells you might lower the 14 to a 13 or you could also try raising that 10 to an 11. So the right answer isnt always to reduce timing but can also be to smooth out timing transitions. Also you want timing to continue to climb with rpm, so if you find your timing is actually going down because of the load cells you are hitting as rpm climbs you need to adjust that so timing climbs with rpm. For example if your at 14 degrees at 5000 rpm but your load drops and you are now at 12 degrees at 5500 thats not a good situation (pulled these numbers out of nowhere so ignore the numbers themselves). Using the 3d graph function of ecuflash really helps identify trouble areas, but don't try and smooth for the sake of smoothing, concentrate on your trouble areas because if you attack the entire map trying to smooth all the things its going to make the car feel less responsive.
The following users liked this post:
4b11slayer (Oct 18, 2016)