Notices
ECU Flash

Tephra Mod Check engine flash on knock.

Old Oct 16, 2016, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Tephra Mod Check engine flash on knock.

I have a question about knock and tephra.

Will my check engine light flash slow on every pull?

My fast flash is set to 6 counts
My slow flash is set for 3 counts.

I seem to almost always activate the slow flash.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It could be phantom knock, when I was street tuning mine on pump I always triggrred knock, mine was set at 3 aswell, but mine was just novice tuning on 91 oct lol
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

I was wondering if it was normal for light to flash everytime when starting a pull from about 2,000 rpm.

If not should i adjust timing untill i get absolute 0 knock?

Or just focus on fast flashes?
The following users liked this post:
Ehsanur (May 24, 2020)
Old Oct 17, 2016, 04:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Post a log with timing request and timing advance afr rpm.. disable log to screen and uncheck excessive parameters

.. are you using e85?

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Oct 17, 2016 at 04:55 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:29 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
no its not normal, it could be phantom knock, there are some threads on how you can tell the difference, basically by logging knock voltage and observing the shape of the voltage spike on a graph. This can usually be cured by modifying the knock sensitivity at lower rpms. Or it could be real knock in which you need to try lowering timing/adjusting afr's at a particular point that is triggering the knock. You will need to deal with it though because even low knock count will cause the engine to pull timing.
4b11slayer (Oct 17, 2016)
Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I get 0 knocking in my tune, phantom or otherwise. if you're pulling between 3-5 counts of knock, consistently, I don't know that it's phantom
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
no its not normal, it could be phantom knock, there are some threads on how you can tell the difference, basically by logging knock voltage and observing the shape of the voltage spike on a graph. This can usually be cured by modifying the knock sensitivity at lower rpms. Or it could be real knock in which you need to try lowering timing/adjusting afr's at a particular point that is triggering the knock. You will need to deal with it though because even low knock count will cause the engine to pull timing.
Ok so do 3 pulls back to back on same street to see if it is continuos.?

Also had a question about my high octane fuel map.

Inhabe been adjusting my injector latency for a week now and am around -3 fuel trims.

Now im running 12.x afr at spool up and drops to 10.8 around full boost.

Will there be any performance issues if my high octane map reads lets say 11.x across the majority of the map?

Does my high octane map need to follow a curve, shape, ramp. Or whatever it takes to keep my wb02 target afr in check?

Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
I get 0 knocking in my tune, phantom or otherwise. if you're pulling between 3-5 counts of knock, consistently, I don't know that it's phantom
I notice it more often when starting a pull. The moment i go wot i see flash.

This isnt on my tuning street. This is in random streets.

Also if i start a pull and my check enginw light flashes slow can i continue on with full pull?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:36 AM

10.8 is pretty rich, i would adjust that before digging too hard into other possible causes of knock. Its pretty much what ever it takes to get the AFR you are targeting. The numbers in the map are kind of arbitrary and don't really mean thats what AFR you will get you just need to make them what ever they need to be to get the correct afr reading on your log. Make sure you are tuning with lean spool disabled, or if you are trying to tune with lean spool you should read the "tuning with lean spool" threads. 3 back to back runs is usually what i do to confirm my readings so thats a solid plan. Its pretty normal to need a retune after changing injector scaling, which is why you do it first then tune.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Might want to err on the side of caution and take it easy until you get your knock issue resolved. Worst case scenario would be for you to continue driving like a raped ape and your motor blows. Best case scenario would be your issue is a phantom knock issue which can be remedied by adjusting the knock sensitivity, thereby saving your motor and you can continue on your merry way.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
I notice it more often when starting a pull. The moment i go wot i see flash.

This isnt on my tuning street. This is in random streets.

Also if i start a pull and my check enginw light flashes slow can i continue on with full pull?
I have a feeling thats phantom knock, obviously you will have to check that for yourself, but thats what i would suspect. You will probably need to adjust the knock sensitivity at low rpm to get rid of it. You can continue the pull with low knock but the ecu will be pulling some timing. If you need the power to pass or merge or something don't sweat it.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
I have a feeling thats phantom knock, obviously you will have to check that for yourself, but thats what i would suspect. You will probably need to adjust the knock sensitivity at low rpm to get rid of it. You can continue the pull with low knock but the ecu will be pulling some timing. If you need the power to pass or merge or something don't sweat it.
I too think ots phantom but will verify once i go for a tune night.

Thanks Biggie sacks
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

10.8 is pretty rich, i would adjust that before digging too hard into other possible causes of knock. Its pretty much what ever it takes to get the AFR you are targeting. The numbers in the map are kind of arbitrary and don't really mean thats what AFR you will get you just need to make them what ever they need to be to get the correct afr reading on your log. Make sure you are tuning with lean spool disabled, or if you are trying to tune with lean spool you should read the "tuning with lean spool" threads. 3 back to back runs is usually what i do to confirm my readings so thats a solid plan. Its pretty normal to need a retune after changing injector scaling, which is why you do it first then tune.

Thanks you for clearifying that for me sir.

Well i tried to adjust injector scaling but ended back to were my tuner left it for the best fuel trims.

My story is i upgraded from a 255 wally to 450 lph wally.

I was going lean on 255 now rich on 450lph.

My car has a pretty safe base tune.

Biggiesacks. Can i take everything from 100 load and up and lean it out all at once with the decrement key?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:55 AM

your welcome, and good luck.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Thanks you for clearifying that for me sir.

Well i tried to adjust injector scaling but ended back to were my tuner left it for the best fuel trims.

My story is i upgraded from a 255 wally to 450 lph wally.

I was going lean on 255 now rich on 450lph.

My car has a pretty safe base tune.

Biggiesacks. Can i take everything from 100 load and up and lean it out all at once with the decrement key?
You can do that as a starting point if the whole tune needs to be shifted, but you need to polish it up by tuning and adjusting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tephra Mod Check engine flash on knock.