Notices
ECU Flash

Another wierd tuning issue, multiple symptoms, please help, I've looked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Bump, update in bottom of Post 1. May have found it. MAF airflow HZ gives it away in logs.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Bump. Still same issue. Good Boost, Good AirFLow, Good Load, good MAPPED AFR Fuel Values, only hits a wall at 4K RPM"S and stays at 12 AFR or higher.

Update of all testing done at the bottom of post 1.

PLEASE HELP. ANY SUGGESTIONS WANTED.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Bump. Still same issue. Good Boost, Good AirFLow, Good Load, good MAPPED AFR Fuel Values, only hits a wall at 4K RPM"S and stays at 12 AFR or higher.

Update of all testing done at the bottom of post 1.

PLEASE HELP. ANY SUGGESTIONS WANTED.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
It's due to your fuel pressure.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
Can you elaborate more please?

Fuel Pressure on the guage under hood measures @ about 40 psi at idle. Pull vacuum hose and it reads @ about 44.
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Shut up.

Raceghost, what are you using for fuel pumps?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

what are you using for fuel pumps?
DW320, or 301. Says 320LPH on box. Official DW. I also got back into the tank the other day, and tapped out the return line siphon, or bored it out. Sock was good. Everything looks good. Can hear FP engage to HP when activator switch is enabled in EVOScan. Also measure Cranking voltage, and ignition voltage at pump, getting 12.25V at pump, then shortly after ignition drops to 8.25V.

Asked you several times to elaborate more. I have discussed pressure with you, and you still don't educate or post anything of value.

At Idle, at the Rail, I have 44 psi without vacuum, and 40 posi with vacuum. I have Kelford 272 Cams, which only give me 12~14 of vacuum at idle, there for my base fuel pressure to keep 43 psi at the rail is 40 psi. If I adjust down to 33 PSI with vacuum, and pull the vacuum line, I only rise to about 37 PSI. THerefore, with what you have posted so far, my first statement on the pressure is correct, and set correctly. You have contradicted yourself on this topic before, just to add. SO please start clarifying.

Please start educating, or don't respond to any of my threads. You haven't helped a single person yet. I'd like you to start. But if not, just respect my wishes, and stop responding.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
About time you chimed in with your useless canned response. Why did you change your name? You didn't think we wouldn't be able to spot your nonsense?

Raceghost, I may have missed it but what injectors are you running and are you on pump gas or E85? I wonder if there may be an issue with your injectors. Seems you've tried numerous things in your ROM to add fuel to no avail. I'm leaning towards something mechanical that is restricting fuel.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Raceghost, I may have missed it but what injectors are you running and are you on pump gas or E85? I wonder if there may be an issue with your injectors. Seems you've tried numerous things in your ROM to add fuel to no avail. I'm leaning towards something mechanical that is restricting fuel.
I am thinking that also. Just running out of ideas.

Currently on New PTE 1200's Disc TYpe Injectors. Have about 5K on them now. Good Old Idaho pump 91, NO methanol blend. Beginning of summer was on Well Used FIC 1350's. Both times I have had lean issues with fuel. Swapped WL255 for DW 320, rewired-ish fuel pump, still on multi speed circuit. Swapped out Fuel Resister Pack, Injector Resistor Pack, FUel Relay 3, ECM/ECU, etc. Since my rebuild a year ago, I have never been able to run the recommended scaling or latencies on either injector. Always have to scale small, and higher latencies than most. Also always had to give it a bit of MAF Adder too to get rims into check, as well as get into the low 11's in boost. In my sig is my build sheet or parts list.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Bump, looks like a mechanical issue. Any thoughts? Besides fuel pressure, unless there is more ways to test fuel pressure under boost. Again, been through the normal tests at idle and startup to suggest fuel pressure is ok.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Bump.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry for a bit off-topic, but can you please share the scaling of "FP_TIME" at the first post?

Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
These are HEATSOAK CONTROL parameters for the fuel pump hi-speed mode
and
for the fuel pressure regulator solenoid hi-pressure mode, ie the reg hose is open to atmos

They operate at startup only for the timer duration.

address for Evo7 and Evo8

<scaling name="Temp16" units="*C" toexpr="x-40" frexpr="x+40" format="%.0f" min="-40" max="115" inc="1" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

<scaling name="FP_TIME" units="Seconds" toexpr="x*0.5" frexpr="x*2" format="%.1f" min="0" max="128" inc="0.5" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

<table name="Fuel Pump Hi-Speed Mode, Startup Timers" address="19D2" category="HEATSOAK CONTROL" type="2D" scaling="FP_TIME">
<table name="Startup Conditions" type="Static Y Axis" elements="3">
<data>19D2 Force Hi-Speed mode After Startup, Water Temp exceeds W2 and Air Temp exceeds A2 XPUMPTM</data>
<data>19D4 Force Hi-Speed mode After Startup, Water Temp exceeds W1 and Air Temp exceeds A1 XPUMPTM2</data>
<data>19D6 Force Hi-Speed mode After Startup, Water Temp below W1 XPUMPTM3</data>
</table>
</table>

<table name="Fuel Regulator Up-Pressure Mode Startup Timers" address="19D8" category="HEATSOAK CONTROL" type="2D" scaling="FP_TIME">
<table name="Startup Conditions" type="Static Y Axis" elements="3">
<data>19D8 Force Hi-Pressure mode, Water Temp exceeds W2 and Air Temp exceeds A2 XFPUTM</data>
<data>19DA Force Hi-Pressure mode, Water Temp exceeds W1 and Air Temp exceeds A1 XFPUTM2</data>
<data>19DC Force Hi-Pressure mode, Water Temp below W1 XFPUTM3</data>
</table>
</table>

<table name="Fuel System Hi-Mode, Air Temp Switches" address="19DE" category="HEATSOAK CONTROL" type="2D" scaling="Temp16">
<table name="Air Temp switch" type="Static Y Axis" elements="2">
<data>19DE Air Temp Fuel Pump switch A1 XFPUAT2</data>
<data>19E0 Air Temp Fuel Pump switch A2 XFPUAT</data>
</table>
</table>

<table name="Fuel System Hi-Mode, Water Temp Switches" address="19E2" category="HEATSOAK CONTROL" type="2D" scaling="Temp16">
<table name="Water Temp switch" type="Static Y Axis" elements="2">
<data>19E2 Coolant Temp Fuel Pump switch W1 XFPUWT2</data>
<data>19E4 Coolant Temp Fuel Pump switch W2 XFPUWT</data>
</table>
</table>

Last edited by merlin.oz; Feb 10, 2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added temp scaling, added notes
The following users liked this post:
ace33joe (Feb 11, 2017)
Old Feb 11, 2017, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, Dave!

Sorry for another off-topic question, but I am still struggling with cold idle rpm fluctuation / lean condition after installing FIC 1050SP injectors.

I was playing with ISCV / IPW control / MAF scaling compensation, but still can't make it like before when I had Denso 720cc injectors.

Also it is still strange that front O2 sensor gives wrong feedback at low coolant temp (lean but still gives -10~-13%), it becomes normal after 70C+ coolant temp or so.

Mychailo suggested to change my aftermarket Denso front O2 sensor unit, so I ordered a NTK one this time but didn't have an access to a lift yet.

If you have some insight on this, please shed some light on me. Sorry for off-topic question!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I tried a set of the 1050SP injectors and gave up on them.

Went back to the FIC1100 and the fueling is perfect again.
Same on an 8 I worked on last year. Strange results.
The following users liked this post:
ace33joe (Feb 11, 2017)
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences with 1050SP.

Hm....that is strange, 1050SP should be exactly same injectors as FIC1100 but only with ANSU diffuser.

Today I tried:
Bumped up MAF sensor filtering gain idle value to 0.773 from 0.750
Lowered MAF compensation at low Hz area
Lowered ST fuel trim min value so that ECU cannot remove fuel at cold water temp

And it seems it gives me much better fuel trim value than before, used to have 7% low / -5% mid trim, and still lean at cold idle. I think aftermarket (Amsoil) air filter along with Tomei cams and all the bolt-on parts that might change engine VE make engine breathe better at idle than stock panel filter + housing even at the same Hz value of MAF, so that difference is taken care of by adjusting that gain value.

But I still have some rpm fluctuation, so I will see if I need to adjust ISCV related tables more.

If I cannot get it stabilized, I guess I have to ditch 1050SP and get FIC1100 instead, BTW 1050SP is indeed discontinued and recently I sourced a set of FIC1100 instead for local EVO guy.

Oh well, I guess they won't tell me why they discontinued 1050SP, but now I can guess one reason.

Thanks again for your advice!

Last edited by ace33joe; Feb 11, 2017 at 10:33 PM.