Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Mustang Dyno or Dyno Dynamics?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang Dyno or Dyno Dynamics?

Which one is more accurate guys? I've heard different things about both so I don't know what to think.....anyone know from experience?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

all dynos are accurate, some just read higher then others( different calibrations)
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

For more on that note...which read the lowest/highest?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

mustang dyno generally reads kind of low, some people say its more accurate because of that. A few shops I know all prefer dynojets though.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:47 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Mustang AND dyno dynamics dynos very closely match the loads you'd typically see on the road. Dynojets, not so much.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:41 PM

Own both DJ and MD. I don't see the DD and MD being close at all. The MD inertia load bearing eddy current load control is hard to beat!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have owned both and the Dyno Dynamics blows
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:37 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Dyno Dynamics poop all over Mustang Dynos. They are both eddy current dynos, you can adjust the ramp rate, and partial throttle load cell on both.

The difference is the software on the Mustang units is crude in comparison. The graph outputs look like color crayon drawings from Mustangs and the precision for graph analysis isn't there. The DD output is in real time, which I love if you have an event, because you can abort mid run. Heck, compare their prices. I've used a DD exclusively for 5 years and I'm not going back unless I have to.

Last edited by Noize; Mar 27, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Noize
Dyno Dynamics poop all over Mustang Dynos.
Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that!

Frank
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DD is cheaper for a reason......
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
DD is cheaper for a reason......
just because it's cheaper does not make it inferior.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

i've also been curious about the many different dynos, and which one is the most accurate. Dynojet reads way high so I wouldn't even imagine that being one of the options for people that want a real figure. So does anyone really know or is it just opinionated for the Dynamic Dyno and Mustang Dyno?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:32 AM

A good Tuner can make-do with about any eddy current load bearing dyno and get the job done. A dyno is a tool and the tool is only as good as the operator.

The old adage that you get what you pay for is very true when buying a dyno. The inertia eddy current load bearing dynos cost more due to the additional material in the rollers. Couple this with a PAU control circuit with high resolution (needed for the tuner) and we narrow the view down to a few dyno manufactures in the US and the world.

DJ has always had a poor PAU control and low resolution, hence why shops like myself went to another dyno manufacture that produce a high resolution inertia eddy current load bearing dyno that does not need to use the eddy current controls to simulate ramp speed. DJ has very poor load control and resolution. Since DJ is the industry standard in the US I don't think they will change the PAU resolution anytime soon, but they have left the door wide open for MD and others to gain a big share of the market.

I have nothing agaist DD except I would like to see them produce a inertia eddy current load control dyno for VTEC and boost applications. I don't want to simulate inertia with eddy current ramp control when tuning in WOT.

Just my thoughts,
Frank
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Dyno Dynamics poop all over Mustang Dynos. They are both eddy current dynos, you can adjust the ramp rate, and partial throttle load cell on both.

The difference is the software on the Mustang units is crude in comparison. The graph outputs look like color crayon drawings from Mustangs and the precision for graph analysis isn't there. The DD output is in real time, which I love if you have an event, because you can abort mid run. Heck, compare their prices. I've used a DD exclusively for 5 years and I'm not going back unless I have to.
The MD is also real time. It can be viewed both digitally and graphically. Please don't spread mis-information.

What kind of precision for graph analysis do you want?? The MD displays raw data so you can see every dip or spike being made in the graph. You also have the ability to manually adjust both the Y and X to your likings.

The Mustang Dyno also has a closed loop feed back control that simulates load as if the car was on the street based on the weight and aerodynamic drag of the vehicle. This is something that the Dyno Dynamics can't do.

So why is a Dyno Dynamics $40,000 more than a Mustang Dyno????
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:11 AM
Account Disabled

????

Mustang output is real time, you can abort whenever you want. You can make whatever custom gauges you want to show information in real time however you want, digital, gauge, graphing, whatever. Mustang also has vehicle simulation mode that can simulate frontal area and road grade on the fly. Not to mention you can set a hold RPM where the dyno will not exceed that RPM so you can hold any gear, at any throttle position at that rpm if you so wish, same with speed. You can also dynamically change the load while doing any of the above.

The "crayon chart" is only one way to view the output, if you look at most of the graphs I have posted in the last year, it is in the non "crayon chart" output where you can specify whatever resolution and smoothing you want.

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Mar 31, 2009 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Mustang Dyno or Dyno Dynamics?