Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAP EF-series Turbochargers results thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
That is a TON of stuff for 400whp. Here I am with an ef2.5, injectors, and a Walbro 255 LOL.
Couple things to keep in mind.

Most people talk about 400 dyno jet hp. Big difference between mustang, and a DJ .. or lets put it this way.. trap 120+full weight

Also, 6600ft elevation hurts. You loose 3.3psi right off the top here

And lastly.. pump gas. (and a safe tune)

Oh.. and this motor doesn't seem to like much timing.. Could only manage about 270 or so mustang dyno whp on the VD (310ish DJ). At 24 tapering to 17-18psi on the stock snail. Could probably squeeze a little more out with more boost.. but what's the point if I have something larger coming to put on, and do it safely.

I want to make an easy, low boost safe 400ish whp. My built 2.0 wrx on a super hx40 was a little laggy, there is no way this ef4 can be that bad

Last edited by GravityKnight; Oct 21, 2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by GravityKnight
I ordered the EF4. They said I might have it in two weeks but couldn't tell me for sure when it would ship.

I'd rather error on the side of a little too much lag, than the side of not buying enough turbo to meet my goal and end up having to tune it as aggressively as possible to try and squeeze the target power out of it. Much rather be able to hit that target at lower boost and less aggressive timing. The idea was a reliable / pump gas car (I've run stuff on e85 before, it's great.. but I always had trouble with the black goo build up.. and the nearest e85 station is 30+ miles away)... So it has a built motor, twin disc, etc. and only looking for 400 mustang dyno hp (or in the realm of 120-122 trap). Should be over built for the most part.

I'll post results when it shows up. Finished fuel system upgrades (AEM pump, stock filter bypass with larger connections, magna fuel filter up front, 3/8" line coming off factory hard line up front, an fittings to STM rail adapters, Aeromotive AFPR etc.... just waiting for FIC injectors...)

-Todd
LOL I did 385whp on a slipping clutch at Boostin Performances mustang dyno on pump gas and waste gate pressure (26 PSI)lol. Did 412 whp e85 same day with no timing or anything so it should be very easy to do.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
LOL I did 385whp on a slipping clutch at Boostin Performances mustang dyno on pump gas and waste gate pressure (26 PSI)lol. Did 412 whp e85 same day with no timing or anything so it should be very easy to do.
Nice! I have an FP race manifold to go with it. Think I'll just smooth up everything on the manifold/turbo to match.. not really a full port.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:12 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Couple things to keep in mind.

Most people talk about 400 dyno jet hp. Big difference between mustang, and a DJ .. or lets put it this way.. trap 120+full weight

Also, 6600ft elevation hurts. You loose 3.3psi right off the top here

And lastly.. pump gas. (and a safe tune)

Oh.. and this motor doesn't seem to like much timing.. Could only manage about 270 or so mustang dyno whp on the VD (310ish DJ). At 24 tapering to 17-18psi on the stock snail. Could probably squeeze a little more out with more boost.. but what's the point if I have something larger coming to put on, and do it safely.

I want to make an easy, low boost safe 400ish whp. My built 2.0 wrx on a super hx40 was a little laggy, there is no way this ef4 can be that bad

I think one reason I stayed with a 2.0 is so I wouldn't have issues.
I trapped 120mph with my 6spd, but I'm at a much lower elevation. Seems psi would be psi no matter of elevation.

Good luck, man! Sounds like you're well on your way.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I think one reason I stayed with a 2.0 is so I wouldn't have issues.
I trapped 120mph with my 6spd, but I'm at a much lower elevation. Seems psi would be psi no matter of elevation.

Good luck, man! Sounds like you're well on your way.
Thank you!

Here is one way too look at elevation. Sure you already know some/all of this, but for anyone wondering. Atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 14.7. Up here it is 11.43psi. Add boost to that (lets say 20 psi to make it easy). Total manifold pressure would be 34.7 vs 31.4 ... which is not as huge of a difference as it would be for an n/a motor, but it still hurts (along with more lag etc.) The more boost you run, the smaller the difference in actual pressure feeding your engine... (assuming the turbo/setup is designed for said higher boost level of course).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:44 AM
kaj

Thank you!

Here is one way too look at elevation. Sure you already know some/all of this, but for anyone wondering. Atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 14.7. Up here it is 11.43psi. Add boost to that (lets say 20 psi to make it easy). Total manifold pressure would be 34.7 vs 31.4 ... which is not as huge of a difference as it would be for an n/a motor, but it still hurts (along with more lag etc.) The more boost you run, the smaller the difference in actual pressure feeding your engine... (assuming the turbo/setup is designed for said higher boost level of course).
I understand, it just seems absolute pressure is absolute. Since the air is thinner, maybe the turbo has to work harder, but you're still getting desired boost. If you dial in 20psi, you're getting 20. You don't subtract for elevation difference. Then again, I'm no engineer.LOL

Last edited by kaj; Oct 22, 2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I understand, it just seems absolute pressure is absolute. Since the air is thinner, maybe the turbo has to work harder, but you're still getting desired boost. If you dial in 20psi, you're getting 20. You don't subtract for elevation difference. Then again, I'm no engineer.LOL
Absolute is absolute, and you have less absolute (overall) pressure feeding your engine at high elevation vs. low elevation at the same boost level.

Boost is added to atmospheric pressure, less atmospheric pressure = less overall pressure which = less power potential

We as humans look at atmospheric pressure and boost as two different things (well, they are in a lot of aspects). But your engine is looking at the total 'absolute' pressure feeding it. We call it boost when the pressure rises above atmospheric pressure.. but your engine just works with what it's getting, whether it be an n/a engine at the top of pikes peak getting like 8 psi, or a boosted engine at sea level getting a total of 40psi etc.

Last edited by GravityKnight; Oct 22, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:38 PM
kaj

Gotcha. I guess I always thought 20psi of pressure in a cylinder was 20psi, whether it stuffed in a little 14.7 air or worked harder to force a lot of 12.2.
I found this and am still trying to wrap my head around it LOL. Need to go back to school. http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/pressure_ratio

Last edited by kaj; Oct 22, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Did we ever figure out what was interesting in ODUB's turbos??

I'm leaning toward an EF3 for my 2.0 build.. I'd like to know if a surge cover is worth it or if it would spool a bit sooner without it (I would think it did)..
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
MAP gave him the wrong oil feed line. It had a restrictor that was either not supposed to be there or was the wrong size.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 01:24 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by cerevo
Did we ever figure out what was interesting in ODUB's turbos??

I'm leaning toward an EF3 for my 2.0 build.. I'd like to know if a surge cover is worth it or if it would spool a bit sooner without it (I would think it did)..
yes. he was sent the wrong oil feed line. it was too small. FWIW i have the 2.5 and it spools pretty much stockish. i <3 this turbo!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately, due to the time, I cannot speak directly about this particular failure without knowing more about the specifics, but we actually have come to some interesting conclusions about some combinations of engines and turbos that we believe are likely directly related to many failures.

I am including a link to our turbo recommendation information available on our blog and I am happy to answer questions about our findings. The research we did was born of an effort to want to deliver a superior product and superior customer service for our customers and we want to thank our customers for their support and look forward to providing them with the very best of both for years to come!

http://www.maperformance.com/blog/se...t-turbo-turbo/
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Now that you mention it, I actually recall there being an issue with a customer supplied line. If I recall correctly, there was a problem with the oil feed line which had been revised but the correct bolt had not been shipped which actually cut off or diminished the oil flow pathway through the banjo...I BELIEVE we took care of that issue to the customer's satisfaction...at least that is my hope. I would definitely like to know if that is not the case.

Nate

Originally Posted by kaj
yes. he was sent the wrong oil feed line. it was too small. FWIW i have the 2.5 and it spools pretty much stockish. i <3 this turbo!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:00 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by NateEvans
Now that you mention it, I actually recall there being an issue with a customer supplied line. If I recall correctly, there was a problem with the oil feed line which had been revised but the correct bolt had not been shipped which actually cut off or diminished the oil flow pathway through the banjo...I BELIEVE we took care of that issue to the customer's satisfaction...at least that is my hope. I would definitely like to know if that is not the case.

Nate
sounds about right. it was just a misunderstanding that got increasingly frustrating as nobody could figure out the problem. working at a shop and being a customer, i understand both sides.
personally, i received AWESOME customer service.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NateEvans

Nate
Ahhh, well at least you figured it out. You guys' customer service is the biggest reason im going to come to you when time to build my short block and get a turbo!

Kaj, I know I saw it in the thread somewhere (but I'm on my phone right now), you were running the stock block even, right?
I'd like to see what an ams intake manifold does to an ef 2.5 that's being pushed. I have S2 cams, an AMS VSR intake manifold, and a ported evo 8 head. I haven't seen a combination of those 3 things (or compareable) on a built, 2.0 liter I don't think.

My guess is that it'd move the graph to the right a bit, but it may not help much in the top end while hurting the bottom end with an ef2.5. That's the big reason I'm thinking the ef3 would be good for the mods I already have.

Last edited by cerevo; Dec 20, 2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: grammar fail.

Quick Reply: MAP EF-series Turbochargers results thread