Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

E-Spec tests the MAP Ef4 --- 600hp @30psi!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Ask and you shall recieve

Here is my build thread of what my car has in it hope this helps you some.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...usa-tuned.html
No offense,,, but I prefer to see dynojet charts for a more apples to apples comparison... (Dynojet vs vd is a whole other topic that will derail this thread)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
its cool man I don't have a dynojet in my garage so thats the best I can offer hahaha. You asked for certain things I have so I figured I would post it to help ya out some.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by E-Spec@Tach Motor Works
No offense,,, but I prefer to see dynojet charts for a more apples to apples comparison... (Dynojet vs vd is a whole other topic that will derail this thread)
100% Agreed.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking good guys! While this turbo may not be for everyone, its clear there is a substantial market segment in search for this type of power in a stock frame And as with all MAP products we will continue to push forward in regards to R&D, we've already got some ideas in the pipeline on how to improve spool specifically for the EF3 and EF4.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Looking good guys! While this turbo may not be for everyone, its clear there is a substantial market segment in search for this type of power in a stock frame And as with all MAP products we will continue to push forward in regards to R&D, we've already got some ideas in the pipeline on how to improve spool specifically for the EF3 and EF4.

Two Words

BALL BEARING!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cul8tr
Two Words

BALL BEARING!
Not going to help spool, but it will help reliability

The EF4 isn't stock turbo responsive but it is great for the power level you get. I mean if you look at Curt Browns 600whp FPgreen, that is the laggiest green ever because he geared it toward top end. (Well I look mostly at evo x graphs but even local 8/9 greens that seems really laggy for a 2.3L...just saying this in case I am a little off base)

Basically what I am saying is the setup really determines spool up and low end power. You can choke the **** out of your setup with stock everything and it will spool better and have better low end but not make **** for peak power. It's all about goals and what you are aiming for.

Spool is total perspective and its not worth arguing at all...its like arguing politics or religion, horrible topic. So basically Erk already covered that they geared this for top end, so spool will suffer some.

I bet its still fun, so who cares, in the end its about keeping the owner happy!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats on the results Erkel
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cul8tr
Two Words

BALL BEARING!
Sure ball bearing is gonna gain you that few extra rpms, but is the cost to purchase a bb red or black worth the money you can get one of these turbos for? On top of that I am a big fan of the bb turbos, but lets do another thing lets break down what it costs you to rebuild a bb turbo to a standard journal turbo. Throw that into effect and of the cost and you will see 300 to 500 rpms really isn't worth the extra money you pay.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by murlo26
Not going to help spool, but it will help reliability

The EF4 isn't stock turbo responsive but it is great for the power level you get. I mean if you look at Curt Browns 600whp FPgreen, that is the laggiest green ever because he geared it toward top end. (Well I look mostly at evo x graphs but even local 8/9 greens that seems really laggy for a 2.3L...just saying this in case I am a little off base)

Basically what I am saying is the setup really determines spool up and low end power. You can choke the **** out of your setup with stock everything and it will spool better and have better low end but not make **** for peak power. It's all about goals and what you are aiming for.

Spool is total perspective and its not worth arguing at all...its like arguing politics or religion, horrible topic. So basically Erk already covered that they geared this for top end, so spool will suffer some.

I bet its still fun, so who cares, in the end its about keeping the owner happy!
NO offence but lest not compair Curt Browns car to anything us normal people can afford. He is a great guy and I myself have learned alot from his readings of posts and what nots over the year but let not compair he is also very high compression, not to include ceramic bearings in just about everything that moves car wise. This in itself will make more power being its less restriction an forward movement. If we all had what he has I can see compairing but can we not go there?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Nice work erk! Congrats to owner! What time was the final tune done at? But speaking of curts car, he had a green which is in by no way compared to the ef4 , especially if the ef4 is bigger than a black. Only question is , is this still considered a stock frame turbo? Shootout wise is what I'm getting at.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by pizzamanevo8
, is this still considered a stock frame turbo? Shootout wise is what I'm getting at.
Technically it is still a stock turbo yes but who knows with the way rules change it seems every year for turbos and what nots.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

^ gottcha. Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cursedsm
, not to include ceramic bearings in just about everything that moves car wise.
Just so people know I was meaning wheel bearings didn't specify clearly so just so no one misunderstands what I was meaning and not a bash or anything in anyway.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pizzamanevo8
Nice work erk! Congrats to owner! What time was the final tune done at? But speaking of curts car, he had a green which is in by no way compared to the ef4 , especially if the ef4 is bigger than a black. Only question is , is this still considered a stock frame turbo? Shootout wise is what I'm getting at.
The final tune was done after 11pm-- "Prime time for powa"!!

This turbo meets the criteria for any "stock frame turbo" class. Again, I emphasize that a turbo like this can put ANY of the 10sec stock turbo cars into the 9's. It will add 150-200hp @7k rpm to a properly set up car. You'll see a few of these pop up next season at the dragstrip.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Good job on the numbers, as others state and espec you have to give some to gain some the 2.4 aids for spool at the lower end but cul8tr has added products that allow to compensate in the upper power band as well to balance things out.

Quick Reply: E-Spec tests the MAP Ef4 --- 600hp @30psi!!