Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

map ef4 stock block and e85 tscompusa tuned

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Ya thats not accurate and ill explain why.. see the end tail how it goes straight up with smoothing 1? you cant smooth that.. it needs trimmed off. not only that, but i wouldnt use that graph to represent power because of you hit some sort of bump at 6000RPM

thats hog wash..

whenever a smoothing 1-3 or even 5 is a good 30hp+ or even 20hp+ from a smoothing 10 then its not showing legitimate numbers.. and no smoothing in the world will fix it because when you smooth the graph it just smooths over the spike and its still inflated..

Brian leave the numbers and graphing to me please
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Evofiebre11
^^^^ Yea i have to agree, ive dynoed Over 20 cars with multiple different tuners, never went past smoothing5 so find a smoother road and run the VD again with smooth5 as correction
Like I said its my preference to see it like that. Tom knows more about the dyno thing then I do and I trust what he says. 10 is for me and me only not Tom. I like to see a smooth curve through out. I know 1 looks more appropiate to people who use the dynos and what nots and thats fine. I am just making sure that people don't think that is Toms doing being its not its my own.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tscompusa
Ya thats not accurate and ill explain why.. see the end tail how it goes straight up with smoothing 1? you cant smooth that.. it needs trimmed off. not only that, but i wouldnt use that graph to represent power because of you hit some sort of bump at 6000RPM

thats hog wash..

whenever a smoothing 1-3 or even 5 is a good 30hp+ or even 20hp+ from a smoothing 10 then its not showing legitimate numbers.. and no smoothing in the world will fix it because when you smooth the graph it just smooths over the spike and its still inflated..

Brian leave the numbers and graphing to me please
Sorry, why I went and said this is for me only and not reflected tward you. I mean you know what I look for when doing pulls, you also know I use the same stretch of road. I look for different things then you guru's do hahaha.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by getsideways
Ive said this before but you should not be using much smoothing to get an accurate number, If the run on VD is that bumpy that it requires so much smoothing you will likely get an inaccurate number. Are you doing interstate pulls or backroad?

Smoothing should not be used for correction It should almost be renamed averaging as it seems to do that more then just smooth.
Ya this is true.. if smoothing 1 looks like it did on my car it cant be used.. you smooth those spikes and its inflated but looks real when its not.. i am gonna be sharing real high smoothing on all my graphs, but only if the lower smoothing numbers show that the high smoothing is indeed legit.. will share lower for proof as well. id rather the program read on the low side then the high side.. that is just me.. i am more of the type of person where id rather a lower number be stronger.

Here is the last graphs I posted of Brians car..

within 10hp from 3 to 10.. that shows its legit.. and quite honestly i would go as far to say the smoothing 10 is closer to the real dynojet then a smoothing of 3.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

The hardest part out here for me is even though I use the same stretch of road, I try to start and finish within the same area. Sometimes evo scan on the return run doesn't always log at the same point it did before and im further down the road. So with that said that last run I made has that extra wave in it for whatever reason. Reguardless of what #'s the car puts down I am really happy with the way it runs.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Mar 23, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

you hit a bump or experienced a misfire.. send over that log ill check it out, and we will go from there... im gonna document the remainder of power tuning on your thread like i was.. its cool seeing a car come to life, especially when its on stock block/head and pushing 500whp+.

when it runs down the track the truth shall set you free.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did i hear someone say Toms funding dyno pulls?

congrats to the OP, your in good hands

and just for the non believers, im not the best driver and have easily trapped 125mph on 18s w/ 35 series tires and an evo that weighs 3480 with me in it w/ only 535 whp VD

cant wait to see what the new setup.. not to thread jack, but motors almost done
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jmcmill3
did i hear someone say Toms funding dyno pulls?

congrats to the OP, your in good hands

and just for the non believers, im not the best driver and have easily trapped 125mph on 18s w/ 35 series tires and an evo that weighs 3480 with me in it w/ only 535 whp VD

cant wait to see what the new setup.. not to thread jack, but motors almost done
no ones not believing.. its just Brian posted a retarded graph.. he will leave the posting to me for now on.

good stuff man.. let me know when its ready.

-- i just added more timing to Brians car and leaned it out alittle more.. next logs coming up.

after i see what the timing did, then ill go for slightly more boost, but i believe were close to done with that.. duty cycle in the 90's uptop.. would need more preload on the WG.. but i dont think its to smart to keep pushing the stock block much more.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
impressive nonetheless, had no idea the ef4 was bigger than the black.. ive learned alot.. and actually just read through this whole thread.

but i think im done w/ stock framers or the like.. if mine goes kaplunk or someone buys it , im going t3, especially w/ the new motor

ill be waiting for updates
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jmcmill3
impressive nonetheless, had no idea the ef4 was bigger than the black.. ive learned alot.. and actually just read through this whole thread.

but i think im done w/ stock framers or the like.. if mine goes kaplunk or someone buys it , im going t3, especially w/ the new motor

ill be waiting for updates
Quit thread jacking :P na jk, thanks for the kind words. Yes the ef4 is a little larger then the black but with all said and done, being this is the first version of the ef4 and being a beta tester for it I'm impressed by what I am making on a stock block, can't wait for the 2.4
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

ok were done for today.. heres the last run: (it started raining)

this is with more timing.. leaner afr.. same boost or maybe a touch higher. (34psi)

smoothing 10 = 551/431tq.

i think were gonna leave the car where it is right now.. should go over 130mph.

just needs a minor timing tweak at 6500ish rpm. if we decide to extract more ill update.

550whp from only 34psi .. thank you ecu boost haha. out of a 2.0L!

boost plot:

Last edited by tscompusa; Mar 23, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tscompusa
when it runs down the track the truth shall set you free.
Na you already know I granny shift not double clutchin like I'm suppose to. I will be supprised that the 100 shot of nawz wont blow the welds on the intake and make my floor board fall off the car during track time
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perfect graph on that 1 smoothing you just posted THAT is what they need to look like on 1 to be accurate.
Great job on the power too, Im surprised you are still pushing it curse i was at 527/EF3 stock block and immediatly called it quits and turned the power knob back to the 480 area!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Perfect graph on that 1 smoothing you just posted THAT is what they need to look like on 1 to be accurate.
Great job on the power too, Im surprised you are still pushing it curse i was at 527/EF3 stock block and immediatly called it quits and turned the power knob back to the 480 area!
Well I made a pass by the area I make my pulls at and what I did miss was there is a small hump on the return run. I made another pull and its even better but Tom found a little glich in it and thats fine, so we went with the one he posted. I am very pleased with the way the car runs thats for sure. I don't drive my car ***** to the wall all the time so with it being that high I am comfortable with it. Tom knows that other then my truck the evo is the car I do drive almost every day till I can finish the talon. I have full trust in the way Tom tunes and I know he wont blow it up on purpose. And if he does he can build it for me . That goes for you too Scott you can put the tires on it and run it but if you blow it up, you can build me that 2.4 Derek got for me
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Na you already know I granny shift not double clutchin like I'm suppose to. I will be supprised that the 100 shot of nawz wont blow the welds on the intake and make my floor board fall off the car during track time
ok johnny tran....... or paul walker.

I thought you'd like that graph.. that would of been 100% smooth i believe if it wasnt for a 1 count of knock at 6500.. i took out a degree so it should smooth out entirely now. were good now.. i dont think were gonna run anymore boost.. next stop is the drag strip .. i think scott can get this car to run pretty good.

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Well I made a pass by the area I make my pulls at and what I did miss was there is a small hump on the return run. I made another pull and its even better but Tom found a little glich in it and thats fine, so we went with the one he posted. I am very pleased with the way the car runs thats for sure. I don't drive my car ***** to the wall all the time so with it being that high I am comfortable with it. Tom knows that other then my truck the evo is the car I do drive almost every day till I can finish the talon. I have full trust in the way Tom tunes and I know he wont blow it up on purpose. And if he does he can build it for me . That goes for you too Scott you can put the tires on it and run it but if you blow it up, you can build me that 2.4 Derek got for me
if it blows with Scott at the track its not Scotts fault, its yours.. for requesting for such high HP out of stock block.

I dont think its going anywhere though.. the torque is delayed long enough to the point the engine is safe imo.. you should be fine.

Quick Reply: map ef4 stock block and e85 tscompusa tuned