Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Wastegate Pressure Fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wastegate Pressure Fluctuating

Hi everyone!

I recently got my Evo 8 MR tuned on 98 octane and have a few simple mods (3" TBE, HKS intake, hotside pipe, HKS evc-6, walbro 255). I took the advice of the tuner who recommended a Turbosmart 1.5 bar (22 psi) wastegate. They installed it and said that because it was paired with the boost controller they couldn't get the boost under 22psi. This resulted in them removing a spring so that it would hold at a lower boost pressure.

I had massive overboosting issues - the car was spiking to 24psi at times when it was meant to be holding 22psi. I took the car back to the mechanic and we did a pull with the boost controller turned off and reset the wastegate pressure to what it read. Car seemed fine but now it's overboosting again! I turned the boost controller off and at WOT the wastegate fluctuates between ~18psi and 20psi. There isn't one number it holds that you can program into the HKS evc-6.

Is it normal for the wastegate to fluctuate like that and is there a way of setting up the HKS evc-6 so that it happily stays holding 22psi? Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

George