Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 8 - Help to make over 400WHP/ 370FT LB

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 - Help to make over 400WHP/ 370FT LB

Hey guys I'm from New Zealand and iv got a JDM evo 8. my goal is to make 300kw / 500nm which is approximately 400whp/ 370ft lb which you guys like to refer to.

My evo 8 has/will have the following modifications:

-Stock Block
-Kelford TX 272 camshafts (type L 10mm intake & exhaust lift)
-Turbo back exhaust
-Custom 3" intake
-Link G4 plug in ecu
-Ecu boost control
-Custom 4" intercooler core
-Custom 3" intercooler pipes (looking at changing back to 2.5")

It will be tuned on 98RON NZ & Dynopack dyno (hub dyno). Because iv still got the stock block most tuners here in NZ do not recommend running more than 24psi. changing to E85 is also out of the question as its not available on pump here in New Zealand. All i can really do is add "bolt on mods" ?

I'm considering adding to my mods:
-2.5inch intercooler piping
-ported stock exhaust manifold

i brought a Milspec ported intake manifold and milspec 65mm throttle body but i have sold them. after some research at my power level i thought it wouldn't really net much gains. As far as ignition iv been told its not necessary to run a C.O.P set up.

This car has been tuned in the pass to 288KW @ 24psi (before Kelford cams but with a Map EF3 turbo) in 3rd gear (not 1:1 therefore inflated numbers) tuned in September 2011- previous owner

When I purchased the car I decided to use a different tuner and the car made 262KW @ 20psi (with Kelfords cams & Map EF3 Turbo) in 4th gear (1:1) though the numbers were less then before it was done in 4th gear not 3rd gear and 4 psi less. The reason why it was only 20Psi this time is due to the Map EF3 turbo being Faulty and we could not raise the boost any higher. Tuned - june 2014

Any advise, opinions, help etc on how i can achieve this goal would be much appricaited

Last edited by nzevo8; Sep 6, 2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Ive done this combo quite a bit and pretty consistently can make ~270wkw on a Mainline chassis dyno which is ~ 415-420whp on a DJ.

Green, decent cams, exhaust, intake and cooler.
Usually takes ~25-26psi on 98 octane to make that power pretty comfortably.

I've got a ToxicFab manifold on mine, and was making 285kw/~440whp on 27psi on 98 from the Green so its definately do-able.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 05:34 AM

wow... i hope make more then 270kw. if i did 262kw on 20psi with a EF3, I'm hoping with the Green and adding some more boost will do more then just 8kw
Old Sep 4, 2014, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I would sack the cams and get something with more lift. If your fuel quality is like euro 98RON that is roughly our 93. I wasnt tuning cars last time I was in NZ so I cant comment on my impressions of the fuel. However on US 92 octane I can routinely run 26-27 on the Green. Even with the Kelfords you have I can do 400-410.

I'd leave the 3" piping unless it seems like the Green is noticeably slower spooling than stock. One thing I have noticed about the Link and Vipec is when you set base timing in the ECU your numbers at peak power end up about 5-6* less than what you would have in a stock computer. I have accounted for timing drift and sync errors, but it is consistently lower. Where I might be 13* on a stock ECU at 7500, I am at 7.5 or 8* in the Link. I am sure your tuner knows this but something to keep in mind if you are doing it yourself.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Sep 4, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you will hit 400 with that setup.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 04:13 PM

cheers guys i appreciate your inputs. iv spoken with a few people in NZ and they think the 3" intercooler piping will slow down the spool as much as 500rpm.

i was looking at getting the injen pipe kit, but after some quick research I'm hearing a lot of people saying there having trouble with the pipes lining up to there core. I'm not sure if thats the LICP or ULCP there speaking of, but the lower one does look a bit odd. So now I'm looking at getting the ETS LICP. as for the UICP I'm in a pickle. I'm looking for a Stock route pipe that will not come in contact with my current intake pipe. i do not want to relocate the battery to the boot and adding a mini battery kit is just extra cost.

The kelford cams I'm not looking at changing iv just purchased them brand new and fitted 2 months ago. The reason i went with them is because they are designed to work with the stock valve springs and retainers. Before fitting them the car made 233KW, after fitting them it made 262KW. So the cams itself gained 29kw.(boost was not changed as we were still maxing out the ef3 which would not go over 20 psi)

iv seen a few people on here say that your 92-93 octane is about the same as Australian 98ron. I'm assuming NZ & Australia's fuel is similar ? i have the choice of running BP 98RON with 0 ethanol Or Gull Force 10 which is 98RON with 10% ethanol.

It seems like you guys in the States make over this power easy by running more boost even on the stock block. many tuners here will advise 300kw / 24 psi is as far as you want to push these motors safely.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Don't buy injen. Go with ETS and at least do the lower pipe. The upper isn't going to sacrifice much from what I understand. You could go with the full piping and intake from ETS though too and that way you know everything fits and clears. That's the beauty of staying with the same company for all of it.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 02:31 AM

yeah id love to go with a full ETS kit if my bank allowed me haha. i would still need to hope it would fit my custom core.

update- iv sold my EF3 turbo which was supposably faulty and would not boost more then 20psi. its currently on another evo and the guy managed to get 350kw out of it on 25psi. So i guess its not the turbo at fault if it can push more on another car...?

does any one know the possible cause of not being able to boost more then 20psi?

i had a new boost solenoid fitted and that didn't do it.
the turbo is going to be brand spanking new so thats not going to be the issue.

can only think of a block... like a blocked exhaust or intercooler system.They are also the only bolt on mods which i have not checked or replaced. i will look at pulling them out in the next few days and have a look at what i can find just to confirm.

Last edited by nzevo8; Sep 5, 2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

As far as the power increase..I would look for a tubular exhaust manifold. For the boost issue, try using a manual boost controller, to make things easier for you.

Good luck!

N.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:29 PM

Thanks man, il speak to my tuner and see what he says about the manual boost controller.

but isn't boost control via ecu is the better option?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nzevo8
Thanks man, il speak to my tuner and see what he says about the manual boost controller.

but isn't boost control via ecu is the better option?

It's all personal preference. There are lots of high Hp MBC & EBC Evos out there!

N.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:51 AM

my tuner has advise to just stay with electrical, best option in his opinion.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by nzevo8
yeah id love to go with a full ETS kit if my bank allowed me haha. i would still need to hope it would fit my custom core.

update- iv sold my EF3 turbo which was supposably faulty and would not boost more then 20psi. its currently on another evo and the guy managed to get 350kw out of it on 25psi. So i guess its not the turbo at fault if it can push more on another car...?

does any one know the possible cause of not being able to boost more then 20psi?

i had a new boost solenoid fitted and that didn't do it.
the turbo is going to be brand spanking new so thats not going to be the issue.

can only think of a block... like a blocked exhaust or intercooler system.They are also the only bolt on mods which i have not checked or replaced. i will look at pulling them out in the next few days and have a look at what i can find just to confirm.
It sounds like you may have had/have a boost leak if someone else is running higher boost on the same turbo and you couldn't get any higher than 20 psi...get that checked out and try again.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:21 AM

It sounds like you may have had/have a boost leak if someone else is running higher boost on the same turbo and you couldn't get any higher than 20 psi...get that checked out and try again.
i will have / already have new:

internal wastegate
boost control solenoid
turbo
lower intercooler pipe
exhaust manifold
all new gaskets for replacing turbo.

iv checked for a collapsed exhaust and blockage in the intercooler piping and core. i even removed the intercooler and core then got someone to test it with the proper tools and was told there fine.

i feel like its not rocket science, but at the same time I'm a little worried i might be over looking something or chasing my tail on this one.

i plan to put the car back together with all the new parts and check if it will go over 20.
if no the next step would be to do a boost leak test (i should probably do one regardless)

after that point the problem will hopeful be found if not resolved. otherwise my last resort is to take it to my tuner and thinking of paying up to 24hour worth of labour for him to fix this problem. Then dyno tuned for the new mods.

basically if it comes to that and he doesn't find it in 24 hours/ 3 working days (which i believe is a lot of time) then all hope is loss with this car.

If anyone has any suggestions where i could look to eliminate or narrow down my search for this problem, i would be more then grateful for your help!

Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Borrow, or buy a manual boost controller to take the EBC out of the equation. If you can dial it up to 24-25PSI, then you know where your problem is. It won't hurt to try it out, good luck!

N.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 - Help to make over 400WHP/ 370FT LB