Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

EVO 8 map ef4 bumper exit exhaust build / dyno

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn.. that's really sick.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nickmn
Damn.. that's really sick.

Thank you

Little update: Got to drive it some after putting in the walbro 450. Seems to be fine now. I don't know that the aem wasn't flowing enough, I think it was due to the suction filter on the aem sucking.. it's not rigid enough, and may have been just a bit too low in the tank still.

Also dropped the kelfords in, and the map upgraded springs, and a set of fidanza gears. Car just feels better all the way around. Picked up a little power, not as much as I figured with the cam change. Making around 510whp still with slightly less boost. I'm just happy it isn't having issues.. yet

Was going to go with aem gears so they would be black like everything else, but I got these new for $120 for both... so oh well.

Not sure whats up with the boost / afr readout. I mean it won't read afr because my wideband is standalone. And the boost isn't right. It spools at about 24-25 and tapers up to 29.5 (so at sea level it would be 21 ish to 26 up top). AFR go from 12.3 at intial full boost, taper down to 11.8 in the middle and back up to 12 up top
Attached Thumbnails EVO 8 map ef4 bumper exit exhaust build / dyno-cams_kelford.jpg   EVO 8 map ef4 bumper exit exhaust build / dyno-510hp_kelford2.jpg  

Last edited by GravityKnight; Jan 21, 2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how does she look on smoothing 1 or 3?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
how does she look on smoothing 1 or 3?

Literally the same. It peaks about 200 rpm earlier , but the curve looks the same (stays flat out the top), same HP etc.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxgsXW5MZfg&list=UULxgui8dzNbrUjbAyz6jCAA[/ame]"]Quick video of 1-4 no lift shifting. Shifting at 8k except for the 1-2 I grabbed it early. Because I'm used to the car, I didn't realize how fast it actually is until I watched this video... I am running through gears pretty fast, and it pulls out to the top of 4th in a hurry nuts!!!

Old Feb 25, 2015, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Little Ignition Cut LC fun......

Yea I already went back to fuel cut... this is just too insane...
Old Feb 28, 2015, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder how many ignition cut/anti lags a typical turbo charger can take? Id love to have this setup on my evo but im nervous it will prematurely destroy the turbo. How much boost are you able to peg at a stand still? If 20+ it may be worthwhile
Old Mar 1, 2015, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
How did you get an ignition cut limiter? Are you using an ignition box?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

How did you get an ignition cut limiter? Are you using an ignition box?
I picked up a UTEC, and am using it just for the LC/NLTS to play with ign cut. Everything else is bypassed.

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
I wonder how many ignition cut/anti lags a typical turbo charger can take? Id love to have this setup on my evo but im nervous it will prematurely destroy the turbo. How much boost are you able to peg at a stand still? If 20+ it may be worthwhile
So when I first started out, I had disabled the Tephra launch maps, launch rpm limiter, NLTS etc. I had done this same thing on my WRX years back, just used it for LC etc. On that vehicle iirc the UTEC automatically pulls back timing during LC. For whatever reason, this one does not... so it was using very high timing (what the regular map called for) during the cut. This had a weird result. It would only "pop" and shoot fire when letting off. This video shows that:

Once I noticed this I re-enabled the launch maps. As I pulled the timing down in that area, it got more aggressive like the first video. Boost also came up.

In the first video, that was like 15 deg timing iirc, which isn't even aggressive, rpm was about 5400 and boost hit ~10 psi. In order to get the same result with fuel cut, I had to run -5 deg timing. If I lowered the timing on ign cut, I'm sure the boost would go completely crazy, but I was getting nervous about what might explode
Old Mar 5, 2015, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Couple more videos...

Changed my exhaust setup tonight. I'm always looking for a way to make the turbo louder. Most packed / perforated mufflers cancel the turbo sound. The one I built was better, but killed it too much.

I found a muffler that doesn't kill the sound of the turbo.... because it really doesn't kill any sound at all

So I rebuilt the piece from the downpipe going out the bumper tonight. It's.... LOUD. I mean, the turbo SCREAMS .. but the car is so loud now it's actually retarded. Pretty much guaranteed an exhaust ticket first time out with this setup.

Haven't driven it yet to see if this areo turbine muffler actually flows worth a poop. It's the 4" version, but it's identical to the 3.5" inside from what I can see (I put one on my forester xt last night). I don't buy into all their "airplane" wing high and low pressure nonsense. I mean, I understand the concept - I'm a pilot. But airplane wings also create drag... so claiming it flows better than a straight pipe is hard to believe

Anyway.. an inside and outside video.. hopefully you can hear it.. the turbo is very loud in person.

Inside

Outside
Old Mar 8, 2015, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds like a diesel truck!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 07:43 AM

I am in love with the sounds, the bumper exit, and the homebuilt ingenuity! Props on the vids!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
Sounds like a diesel truck!
Yea it kind of does...

I am in love with the sounds, the bumper exit, and the homebuilt ingenuity! Props on the vids!
Thanks man
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

My misfire at/around peak torque has re-surfaced it's ugly head again. I was back on stock coils because I had terrible trouble with the Honda COP doing this. I believe it was jump around the plug and grounding out rather than through the plug. Or maybe just weak and being blown out.. went back to stock coils and it worked great for well over a month. Suddenly it's randomly back.

After doing some reading, research and giving it some though. I'm going to go a little bit different route- LS2/truck coils. These are the big ones with the heatsinks built in. These work best around 3.2ms-4ms @ 14v. I bought NGK wires for a DSM to use with them. I was going to go with those AEM "smart" coils that don't require an igniter, but these GM coils don't need an igniter either, have similar spark energy, and are cheaper. And considered to be reliable and fairly popular swap on other platforms.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this change over goes, for future reference.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by GravityKnight
My misfire at/around peak torque has re-surfaced it's ugly head again. I was back on stock coils because I had terrible trouble with the Honda COP doing this. I believe it was jump around the plug and grounding out rather than through the plug. Or maybe just weak and being blown out.. went back to stock coils and it worked great for well over a month. Suddenly it's randomly back.

After doing some reading, research and giving it some though. I'm going to go a little bit different route- LS2/truck coils. These are the big ones with the heatsinks built in. These work best around 3.2ms-4ms @ 14v. I bought NGK wires for a DSM to use with them. I was going to go with those AEM "smart" coils that don't require an igniter, but these GM coils don't need an igniter either, have similar spark energy, and are cheaper. And considered to be reliable and fairly popular swap on other platforms.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this change over goes, for future reference.
I too wanted to make a custom COP for my evo to smooth out engine response. What connectors you looking into? The stock LS2 truck coil connector or something aftermarket? I'm realizing that I have to create a secondary ground for the LS2 truck coils..LOL!

Quick Reply: EVO 8 map ef4 bumper exit exhaust build / dyno